G

Hi All,

I am looking for information/advice on how to make or built my own speaker system that you can plug into your wall socket, also connect with ditgital optical connection.

I would be very grateful as i have the parts but not the knowhow.

Cheers guys !

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
which method are you talking about?
the way to transfer the audio data digitally across the electrical system?
or
the way to use the electrical system to boost the voltages going into a speaker?
i dont think the second method is available anymore because of new designs, and if there is a trick to it, recovering that trick is probably at the higher cost of buying an amp that will do it for you.

doesnt appear to be all that choose-y.
to send a digital optical signal across the electrical system would require tearing into the capabilities of the transmitter and receiver.
i would think there is obviously some translation that takes place.
since the data from the computer might need some alterations to allow it to travel across the electrical wires.
could be something as simple as a frequency adjustment, or it could be something along the lines of translating the data into something completely different, and then reconstructing it at the receiving wall outlet.

you would need to know if that translation is going to harm the audio data.
and then you would need to know how the packet system for the wall socket transmitter works.
you would also need to know how the packet system for digital optical sound works.

then you need to build a server that talks to the digital optical connection to start getting data packets.
then those data packets need to be sent to the wall socket transmitter using whatever data packet system they use.
it could be something as simple as filling out the headers appropriately and putting the audio data inside the packet.
or
it could be as difficult as needing to receive the audio data packets in a form that wont be read by the receiver.. and translating the data back into the original form.
that could mean you need to remove some headers or other information.

doesnt mean it is as easy as using a computer to simply take the audio data and put it in a udp packet.
once you figure that out.. then you have to see if the output from the wall plug is too high or too low for the receiver to touch it.
but
chances are.. you wont be able to use a cat5 or cat6 cable and solder it to an rca cord to make it work.

depends on the way the wall socket data transfer system works.
if it simply takes electricity and sends it.. then it might work, provided the output from the receiver doesnt fry the input of the receiver (or is too low and makes the input on the receiver struggle until it dies).
otherwise there is obviously some packet system in place.

i think this is one of them times, if you already knew what or how.. you wouldnt be asking.
to say that you have experience with network protocols and packets.. you should have learned how the wall socket system works already.
and
you should have learned how the digital audio connection works already.

then you would have had your answer, minus the voltages destroying the receiver.