Windows 7 reinstall leaves 15 mb of space on c drive

irishluck

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I have a Dell 1555 studio laptop. I removed myself as the administrator and when I did, RA remote server took over as the administrator, which password protected, or blocked me, from updating anything on my computer. After researching the problem I found that I had to reinstall windows 7 from the DVD supplied with the computer. After doing this, it seems that it did the job intended, to remove RA media server. However, now my C drive is named recovery, and it only has 15 mb of space on it. There is OS D drive that has 450 GB free, but whenever we try to install anything it gets stopped because of the limited space on the C drive. How can I fix this problem now.
Chris

ronaldwishart

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Best solution would be to nuke both partions, and end up if one big partion, then let the OS installer do its thing. If there is data on the drive that you cant lose, then this may be a issue.

Having the OS on the D: does not normally cause problems, But some time it does, move adv. programs may have an issue when installing to a d:

If you want more help just ask, this forum is full of great members who will help out!

R

P.s I am a systems Admin , And i have yet to use the recovery partion installed on a laptop. It never seems to work when you need it.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I second Ronald - create one big partition and do away with this recovery partition - if you are comfortable with this.

but after creating one big partition you may still have a sliver of space left over that the OS cannot use. It has to do with OS and drive geometry issues...

irishluck

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

I'm willing to try this, however, I am not sure how to do this, just a plumber. Any guidance would be appreciated. I also want to thank everyone for their advice.
Thank you,
Chris