Dell Cpomputer - Email Access problem

I just purchased a Dell Dininison 5100 for my son to use at this home.
He has Verizon DSL. For some reason, we can't open any email inbox -
either Yahoo or MSN.

For example, on Yahoo Mail I can get to the main page that shows the
folders and Inbox, but when I attempt to open the Inbox, the browser
just freezes and never opens to the Inbox page.

However, when I'm in his home, using my IBM laptop I can connect to via
his DSL and have no problem reading any mail account. Something is
blocking access to email and I can't figure out what that is. I
disabled both the Windows Firewall and the Norton Firewall that can
pre-installed. The problem persisted.

I called Dell and they want me to pay for 'software' support. I
refused since the computer is just few days old and the only software
on the machine was pre-loaded by Dell.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

atnocp wrote:

> I just purchased a Dell Dininison 5100 for my son to use at this home.
> He has Verizon DSL. For some reason, we can't open any email inbox -
> either Yahoo or MSN.
>
> For example, on Yahoo Mail I can get to the main page that shows the
> folders and Inbox, but when I attempt to open the Inbox, the browser
> just freezes and never opens to the Inbox page.
>
> However, when I'm in his home, using my IBM laptop I can connect to via
> his DSL and have no problem reading any mail account. Something is
> blocking access to email and I can't figure out what that is. I
> disabled both the Windows Firewall and the Norton Firewall that can
> pre-installed. The problem persisted.
>

> I called Dell and they want me to pay for 'software' support. I
> refused since the computer is just few days old and the only software
> on the machine was pre-loaded by Dell.
>
> Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

What browser are you using? I'd suggest giving either Firefox or Opera
a shot to see if the problem is at the browser level. It may be a
security setting in IE that's set too high.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> atnocp wrote:

<SNIP>
>> I called Dell and they want me to pay for 'software' support. I
>> refused since the computer is just few days old and the only software
>> on the machine was pre-loaded by Dell.
And so you should because theres nothing wrong with your hardware its a
software settings problem that YOU have made, so double check ALL of your
settings in your email programm and any router connectins or firewall
settings you might have as well

Fixer wrote:

> "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > atnocp wrote:
> >
> <SNIP>
> >> I called Dell and they want me to pay for 'software' support. I
> >> refused since the computer is just few days old and the only software
> >> on the machine was pre-loaded by Dell.
> And so you should because theres nothing wrong with your hardware its a
> software settings problem that YOU have made, so double check ALL of your
> settings in your email programm and any router connectins or firewall
> settings you might have as well

By the way, you should *not* be using two firewalls, simultaneously.

Notan

Try Firefox. It's a much better browser anyway.

Any trouble with Outlook Express email?

"atnocp" <pat_contardo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a Dell Dininison 5100 for my son to use at this home.
> He has Verizon DSL. For some reason, we can't open any email inbox -
> either Yahoo or MSN.
>
> For example, on Yahoo Mail I can get to the main page that shows the
> folders and Inbox, but when I attempt to open the Inbox, the browser
> just freezes and never opens to the Inbox page.
>
> However, when I'm in his home, using my IBM laptop I can connect to via
> his DSL and have no problem reading any mail account. Something is
> blocking access to email and I can't figure out what that is. I
> disabled both the Windows Firewall and the Norton Firewall that can
> pre-installed. The problem persisted.
>

> I called Dell and they want me to pay for 'software' support. I
> refused since the computer is just few days old and the only software
> on the machine was pre-loaded by Dell.
>
> Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

did it ever work? if so then try to roll back windows to that date
(start-allprograms-accessories-systemtools-systemrestore).

if it never worked then consider a possible firewall in your router (did you
plug your laptop directly to the dsl modem or via a router - connect the pc
to the dsl line as you had done when your laptop worked). then consider
other firewall software (windows built in or otherwise). then consider
resetting the default internet explorer settings under both
tolls-internetoptions-content -contentadvisor(disable) then 'apply', and
under the privacy tab (set to default) then 'apply', and under the advanced
tab click restoredefaults and then 'apply'.