Sign in with
Your question

For a gaming computer should I get Home, Professional or Ultimate?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 8, 2012 10:23:05 PM

If so why? I have looked at all the versions and what they offer, I do not see why not just get home. The only ability professional has that might be useful is remote desktop.

all are 64-bit

in case it matters here is the build:

-Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed 3.4GHz Unlocked 3rd Generation Processor
- ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- DDR 3 16 GB 1866 mhz (Patriot Brand)
- Black Enermax Hoplite SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ECA3220, w/ Side Window and 12cm Blue/Red Combo-LED .
- CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1155
- Seagate 1TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive
- Black LG UH12LS29 Internal SATA 12x LightScribe Blu-ray Optical Drive, w/ 3D Playback and M-DISC Support, 16x DVD+R/-R, 4MB Cache. OEM
- GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- Corsair Force Series GS 2.5in 360GB SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), Model: CSSD-F360GBGS-BK. ds-dh
October 8, 2012 10:26:22 PM

The only thing with home, I believe that you can only use 8gb ram. Which is still way more than enough for gaming.

EDIT:
The 8gb limit is with home basic.
Home premium has a 16gb limit. So with a 2gb video card you will have 14 gb of usable ram. Which is still way overkill for gaming.

Ultimate or professional you have a 192 gb limit.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2012 10:29:26 PM

yeah that would be a good reason...
m
l
October 8, 2012 10:36:53 PM

I think I will get Professional... Ultimate seems to have unnecessary crap.. Professional lets me have more RAM than 16 Gig. It may not be necessary, but at least this way I have that option should I ever need it. Considering Professional is only $40 more it is not a big deal.

m
l
October 9, 2012 12:42:39 AM

Windows 8 is right around the corner ... you will definitely be on it before you need more than 16 gb ram.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 12:49:55 AM

aaab said:
The only thing with home, I believe that you can only use 8gb ram. Which is still way more than enough for gaming.

EDIT:
The 8gb limit is with home basic.
Home premium has a 16gb limit. So with a 2gb video card you will have 14 gb of usable ram. Which is still way overkill for gaming.

Ultimate or professional you have a 192 gb limit.

Just a correction, I do NOT think home premium takes video memory into effect.

32-bit version take video memory into effect because of address space(the thing that limits your total addressable space). Home premium limits 16 gigs to push you to upgrade if you want more. It is a windows imposed limit unlike the old 32-bit limit from the days of old.

If it was limiting it, It would say so under the Task Manager and System Properties and it does NOT(I have 16 and it is all usable :)  ).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 12:53:28 AM

Hi :) 

Pro for a gamer...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:10:36 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Pro for a gamer...

What?

Windows 7 Professional makes it possible to work from anywhere—quickly set up projectors, printers, and networks. And automatic backups ensure your work is safe and secure wherever you are.

I have never seen a game that took advantage of the PRO features.

I only know ONE gamer who is using PRO because they had XP pro(had all the NTFS/File sharing security features home lacked without tweaks) and wanted 7 PRO
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:36:30 AM

I said Pro for a gamer because of XP mode....and 16 Gb of ram...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:46:13 AM

I was under the impression XP mode has almost no(if any) hardware acceleration ability(again very business oriented) unlike VMware and Virtual box. And even those tend to suffer.

I could be wrong though. been a long time since I played with it.
m
l
October 9, 2012 1:47:32 AM

nukemaster said:
Just a correction, I do NOT think home premium takes video memory into effect.

32-bit version take video memory into effect because of address space(the thing that limits your total addressable space). Home premium limits 16 gigs to push you to upgrade if you want more. It is a windows imposed limit unlike the old 32-bit limit from the days of old.

If it was limiting it, It would say so under the Task Manager and System Properties and it does NOT(I have 16 and it is all usable :)  ).

Ah yep, thanks for the correction :)  that makes sense.
m
l
October 9, 2012 4:02:33 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Windows 8 is right around the corner ... you will definitely be on it before you need more than 16 gb ram.

I guess I should have mentioned I am buying 7 because I do not like what I hear about windows 8. Windows 7 benchmarks better in games, and 8 sounds like it has a clunky interface. Some say 8 is more stable, but windows 7 is stable too. I have never had windows 7 crash on me. I just do not see any reason to get windows 8 until I am forced to.
m
l
October 9, 2012 8:02:24 AM

Get home and save cash. Pro does have extra features but if those features were something you actually needed you would know you needed pro and not be asking.

As a side note if your a member of an educational institution ask about premium dreamspark membership it's free if your place is a member and you can get a single copy of Win7 Pro for free from it (along with just about anything microsoft sell other than office).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 9:49:51 AM

to the op why dont you download the final windows 8 build and try it for free before you order software you cant return. I used 8 now for a year. other then metro interface poping up at start up and new location for menus and the off/reset for windows it looks and acts just line windows 7 does.
m
l
!