Spraying Triple Thick over acrylic or other Krylon spray p..

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2005 8:28:19 PM

1-- Can Triple Thick be sprayed over acrylic touch up paint on the
backglass, or does it cause a reaction to make the touch up paint go all
crackled like it's 100 years old? I know this happens if you spray
Triple Thick over dried Krylon spray paint, but just wondering about the
acrylic stuff (matte finish, not glossy).

2-- Also, from the other way, what happens if you spray Krylon paint
over 'dried' Triple Thick -- does a similar reaction occur?

3-- Are some paints safe to spray Triple Thick over (once they have
dried of course). If so which ones?

Thanks,
--- Rob

P.S. I sprayed Triple Thick over an area on a test glass and let it
'dry' for about 5 hours, then I sprayed some Krylon 1315 white primer
(it has good even translucence compared to other Krylon whites) and
there was a huge crackled reaction I saw the next morning. Is this
because I didn't let the original Triple Thick dry enough (say for a
week or two, perhaps)? If the Triple Thick were totally dry, would this
reaction still occur when other Krylon spray paint (like the white
primer) is sprayed over it?
June 10, 2005 8:28:20 PM

<<1-- Can Triple Thick be sprayed over acrylic touch up paint on the
backglass, or does it cause a reaction to make the touch up paint go
all
crackled like it's 100 years old?>>

I do it the opposite, clear the glass first, then touch it up with
acrylic (water based so I can easily remove it if I want to during the
process, or afterwards.) Then Im done. Why seal in the touchups, they
are stable and tough and aren't going anywhere since they are stuck to
clear and not loose ink, they aren't original, and you can't see that
side of the glass anyway. And the risk of some weird reaction on top
of all that? Just my 4 and 1/2 cents...Frenchy
June 10, 2005 8:43:16 PM

I think to be sure, you are just going to have to duplicate everything
you have done on some scrap and see what happens. Every paint has
different ingredients and I wouldn't take someone's advice because they
just happened to have some paints that didn't react weird. Not when
the whole glass is at stake...Frenchy
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:02:04 PM

Hi Fenchy,

I normally do it that way too. But I have a particular application where I
may need do it in reverse. I am rebuilding the score windows and
translucent area of my Magic City. It's a bit weird. I'm trying about 5
different paints. I noticed that the Krylon primer (good translucence went
haywire when sprayed OVER the Triple Thick. Usually it's the other way
around --- I have heard people say don't spray Triple Thick over Krylon
color (of any kind). But the reverse can also happen. I think it was
because the clear Triple Thick had only dried for a few hours. Was
wondering if it was bone dry would the Krylon primer react with it anyway.

Why would I spray Triple Thick over touch up paint? --- Well it's not all
paint actually, some of it is thin 1/16 inch black tape to form perfect
window outlines. That will unstick and dry out in a year or so and fall
off. I wanted to stick that onto the bare glass for good. (I've stripped
the whole score windows and surround white down to the glass).

Now you could say why not just spray white over that, instead of clear.
Because it can leak a bit under the tape and looks bad. If clear leaks
under a bit , it still looks like a perfect black line from the front.
Then when the clear dries you can spray white translucent over the sealed
area without any worry of it getting under the tape.
ANd if it looks bad you can wipe it of if it's acrylic, or if you are using
the white out shaved with a razor blade trick --- without dislodging the
fragile lines.

Why not paint the black lines? I trued that too, very hard to get
consistent line widths -- looks amateurish. Also when pull the masking
tape off used to border the paint, it tore the paint a bit and cause those
weird shredded edges look. On top of that, the black (making the window
rectangles) was not dark enough to block out all the light. Again looks
amateurish.

I'm taking picture of all this so maybe I'll post all my 'progress'
sometime. It's not as easy as it seems if you want to get it right.

----Rob

frenchy wrote:

> <<1-- Can Triple Thick be sprayed over acrylic touch up paint on the
> backglass, or does it cause a reaction to make the touch up paint go
> all
> crackled like it's 100 years old?>>
>
> I do it the opposite, clear the glass first, then touch it up with
> acrylic (water based so I can easily remove it if I want to during the
> process, or afterwards.) Then Im done. Why seal in the touchups, they
> are stable and tough and aren't going anywhere since they are stuck to
> clear and not loose ink, they aren't original, and you can't see that
> side of the glass anyway. And the risk of some weird reaction on top
> of all that? Just my 4 and 1/2 cents...Frenchy
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:38:13 AM

Yes,

That's what I'm doing right now.
The translucence of Krylon 41315 seems pretty good so far.

Cheers,
--- Rob

!