Spraying Triple Thick over acrylic or other Krylon spray p..

1-- Can Triple Thick be sprayed over acrylic touch up paint on the
backglass, or does it cause a reaction to make the touch up paint go all
crackled like it's 100 years old? I know this happens if you spray
Triple Thick over dried Krylon spray paint, but just wondering about the
acrylic stuff (matte finish, not glossy).

2-- Also, from the other way, what happens if you spray Krylon paint
over 'dried' Triple Thick -- does a similar reaction occur?

3-- Are some paints safe to spray Triple Thick over (once they have
dried of course). If so which ones?

Thanks,
--- Rob

P.S. I sprayed Triple Thick over an area on a test glass and let it
'dry' for about 5 hours, then I sprayed some Krylon 1315 white primer
(it has good even translucence compared to other Krylon whites) and
there was a huge crackled reaction I saw the next morning. Is this
because I didn't let the original Triple Thick dry enough (say for a
week or two, perhaps)? If the Triple Thick were totally dry, would this
reaction still occur when other Krylon spray paint (like the white
primer) is sprayed over it?
4 answers Last reply
More about spraying triple thick acrylic krylon spray

    <<1-- Can Triple Thick be sprayed over acrylic touch up paint on the
    backglass, or does it cause a reaction to make the touch up paint go
    all
    crackled like it's 100 years old?>>

    I do it the opposite, clear the glass first, then touch it up with
    acrylic (water based so I can easily remove it if I want to during the
    process, or afterwards.) Then Im done. Why seal in the touchups, they
    are stable and tough and aren't going anywhere since they are stuck to
    clear and not loose ink, they aren't original, and you can't see that
    side of the glass anyway. And the risk of some weird reaction on top
    of all that? Just my 4 and 1/2 cents...Frenchy

    I think to be sure, you are just going to have to duplicate everything
    you have done on some scrap and see what happens. Every paint has
    different ingredients and I wouldn't take someone's advice because they
    just happened to have some paints that didn't react weird. Not when
    the whole glass is at stake...Frenchy

    Hi Fenchy,

    I normally do it that way too. But I have a particular application where I
    may need do it in reverse. I am rebuilding the score windows and
    translucent area of my Magic City. It's a bit weird. I'm trying about 5
    different paints. I noticed that the Krylon primer (good translucence went
    haywire when sprayed OVER the Triple Thick. Usually it's the other way
    around --- I have heard people say don't spray Triple Thick over Krylon
    color (of any kind). But the reverse can also happen. I think it was
    because the clear Triple Thick had only dried for a few hours. Was
    wondering if it was bone dry would the Krylon primer react with it anyway.

    Why would I spray Triple Thick over touch up paint? --- Well it's not all
    paint actually, some of it is thin 1/16 inch black tape to form perfect
    window outlines. That will unstick and dry out in a year or so and fall
    off. I wanted to stick that onto the bare glass for good. (I've stripped
    the whole score windows and surround white down to the glass).

    Now you could say why not just spray white over that, instead of clear.
    Because it can leak a bit under the tape and looks bad. If clear leaks
    under a bit , it still looks like a perfect black line from the front.
    Then when the clear dries you can spray white translucent over the sealed
    area without any worry of it getting under the tape.
    ANd if it looks bad you can wipe it of if it's acrylic, or if you are using
    the white out shaved with a razor blade trick --- without dislodging the
    fragile lines.

    Why not paint the black lines? I trued that too, very hard to get
    consistent line widths -- looks amateurish. Also when pull the masking
    tape off used to border the paint, it tore the paint a bit and cause those
    weird shredded edges look. On top of that, the black (making the window
    rectangles) was not dark enough to block out all the light. Again looks
    amateurish.

    I'm taking picture of all this so maybe I'll post all my 'progress'
    sometime. It's not as easy as it seems if you want to get it right.

    ----Rob

    frenchy wrote:

    > <<1-- Can Triple Thick be sprayed over acrylic touch up paint on the
    > backglass, or does it cause a reaction to make the touch up paint go
    > all
    > crackled like it's 100 years old?>>
    >
    > I do it the opposite, clear the glass first, then touch it up with
    > acrylic (water based so I can easily remove it if I want to during the
    > process, or afterwards.) Then Im done. Why seal in the touchups, they
    > are stable and tough and aren't going anywhere since they are stuck to
    > clear and not loose ink, they aren't original, and you can't see that
    > side of the glass anyway. And the risk of some weird reaction on top
    > of all that? Just my 4 and 1/2 cents...Frenchy

    Yes,

    That's what I'm doing right now.
    The translucence of Krylon 41315 seems pretty good so far.

    Cheers,
    --- Rob

    frenchy wrote:

    > I think to be sure, you are just going to have to duplicate everything
    > you have done on some scrap and see what happens. Every paint has
    > different ingredients and I wouldn't take someone's advice because they
    > just happened to have some paints that didn't react weird. Not when
    > the whole glass is at stake...Frenchy

Games Video Games