Raid 0 for swap

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I'm just putting a new computer together (Athlon64 3800+ x2)
with 2GB of memory.
I will be using a SATA150 drive as my primary boot disk and data storage + nightly netbackup to my server.
I happen to have two space 20GB IDE drives rated at 133 and was wondering if I would get any performance benefit by setting these two as a raid 0 array purely used for virtual memory (swap).
Given that I'll be doing lots of memory and disk intensiv tasks (video editing/encoding/deconding and SQL work)I thought that if I put virtual memory over raid0 on a seperate IDE channel I would a) reduce load on the primary disk, b) improve the performance of virtual memory?

Or should I just leave it on the SATA drive and use the two disks as a mirrored boot disk (raid 1) or just chuck em.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Hmmm, I haven't heard of that option before. Don't know what the performance will be, but if the 20gb drives are 7200rpm, then you may get better performance that way. Try it and see?

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Oh, if you do try it, don't hamstring yourself. Put the 2 drives on different IDE channels. That's the only way you're going to get any performance out of it because the 2 drives can't transfer at the same time, so performance stinks.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Interesting... I didn't know that.

Mike.