HELP! Computer Keeps freezing

jahn6

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hey guys I really need some help.
I recently bought a pc off someone , its pretty new only 4 months old.
I pulled a hard drive from my old system and using it now with the new one.
I am experiencing a lot of problems, where computer just freezes and nothing works such as ctr alt del.
Also it restarts byitself although it is like restarting manually where it exits windows properly and restarts the pc
but I am prompted with the options of safe mode and etc.

I have installed the new driver for video card from ati. Could this be a problem because I changed my hardware and using my old hdd with the new system? I am using windows 7 build 7600 32 bit.

My old system was
AMD Athlon 64X2 5200+
Asus M2N MX SE
2 gig ddr2 ram
ati hd 2600 pro
450 Watt

New is ,
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
4gig ddr3 ram
HD 5770 1gig
600 watt

Windows keeps telling me on the bottom right corner icons that I can install driver for my video card, which I have done like thousand times.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Solution
The new M4A79TD has the 790 chipset. The old MB has a GE Force 6100 chipset. Best to do a wipe (reformat) the old hard drive and do a fresh installation of the OS and load the needed proper 790 chipset drivers on the old hard drive if you want to use the old hard drive on the new MB.

You can not just take a hard drive out of one computer and slap it in another computer, turn it on and expect it to work like you are insinuating. The system drivers on the old installation will conflict with the new MB (attempting to go from the installed 6100 to the 790 chipset in your case). There are more than one way of doing this including a Repair Installation of the OS, but a format of the old hard drive and fresh new installation of the OS...
The new M4A79TD has the 790 chipset. The old MB has a GE Force 6100 chipset. Best to do a wipe (reformat) the old hard drive and do a fresh installation of the OS and load the needed proper 790 chipset drivers on the old hard drive if you want to use the old hard drive on the new MB.

You can not just take a hard drive out of one computer and slap it in another computer, turn it on and expect it to work like you are insinuating. The system drivers on the old installation will conflict with the new MB (attempting to go from the installed 6100 to the 790 chipset in your case). There are more than one way of doing this including a Repair Installation of the OS, but a format of the old hard drive and fresh new installation of the OS and system drivers is the way I prefer.

Solution

jahn6

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Thanks for the reply badge, I will do the reformat. However do you know if this could have possible damaged the hardware? (using the old hd)

Yeah. reformat the old hard drive, load Windows 7 then install the system drivers from the 790 MB installation CD. No, the hardware would not be damaged due to the fact incorrect drivers were present on the hard drive and were not compatible.

Agree w/ above.....your old HD is telling windows to load all the drivers for your old machine....when windows boots, it can't find the hardware it thinks is there and doesn't know what to do.

Wipe HD clean via a format and reinstall Windows from scratch ..... do windows update but let it install ONLY critical OS updates and don't let it install any drivers. Then download latest drivers from your hardware manufacturer web sites and install

TRENDING THREADS