Paul

Splendid

Hello Group,

I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and some other hardware connected to
it.

A friend mentioned that with WinXP the system may not boot after the
hardware is upgraded, and that I may have to call Microsoft to get an
authorization of some kind before it will work again. Is this true? Or can I
just change the mobo and hardware and continue working?

PD

Please review the following:

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

paul wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and some other hardware
> connected to it.
>
> A friend mentioned that with WinXP the system may not boot after the
> hardware is upgraded, and that I may have to call Microsoft to get an
> authorization of some kind before it will work again. Is this true?
> Or can I just change the mobo and hardware and continue working?

You will likely need to perform a repair install after you put in the new
motherboard..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

The short answer: you may have to do a repair installation as a minimum,
although a clean installation may be better.

This assumes that you have a retail XP CD, or a retail XP upgrade disc (with
"qualifying media" on the side, like a Win98 upgrade CD). Things may be less
straight forward if you have an OEM license.

paul wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and some other hardware connected to
> it.
>
> A friend mentioned that with WinXP the system may not boot after the
> hardware is upgraded, and that I may have to call Microsoft to get an
> authorization of some kind before it will work again. Is this true? Or can I
> just change the mobo and hardware and continue working?
>
> PD

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:30:27 GMT, paul wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and some other hardware connected to
> it.
>
> A friend mentioned that with WinXP the system may not boot after the
> hardware is upgraded, and that I may have to call Microsoft to get an
> authorization of some kind before it will work again. Is this true? Or can I
> just change the mobo and hardware and continue working?
>
> PD

The Activation may require upgrading when you change the
system board and hardware. If necessary you need to
reinstall windows from scratch after the mobo is installed.
The drivers for the new MB might not be the same, depending
upon the processor type and speed. Be sure you back up
documents and / or copy any audio/video files in these
folders to other drives (or partitions) so you can keep
them.
Activation may be automatic depending upon whether you can
'fool' windows into thinking this is a fresh install or not,
so if you receive an activation prompt/warning, then call
the Microsoft activation hotline to obtain a new code. This
will require you to step through a set of activation
dialogs, and choose to call microsoft.
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Paul

Splendid

Thank you everyone for the excellent information!

> Please review the following:
>
> Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "paul" wrote:
>
> | Hello Group,
> |
> | I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and some other hardware
> connected to
> | it.
> |
> | A friend mentioned that with WinXP the system may not boot after the
> | hardware is upgraded, and that I may have to call Microsoft to get an
> | authorization of some kind before it will work again. Is this true? Or
> can I
> | just change the mobo and hardware and continue working?
> |
> | PD

dl

And lastly but not least if it is an OEM copy of winxp, it may be tied to
the origonal hw

"paul" <paul@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Hello Group,
>
> I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and some other hardware connected
> it.
>
> A friend mentioned that with WinXP the system may not boot after the
> hardware is upgraded, and that I may have to call Microsoft to get an
> authorization of some kind before it will work again. Is this true? Or can
> just change the mobo and hardware and continue working?
>
> PD

Question is too generic. Replies to date covered most of the possibilities.
I always do a new install with a new motherboard. Massive change of
peripherals has a different approach, depending on what that hardware is and
its applicable software and drivers.