XP Pro shares not accessible

I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. All can access the drive and
directory shares of each other.

I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the XP Home systems
can access the shares of the XP Pro system. Not even the Shared Documents
folder.

I've looked at the drive/directory Permissions and Security and can't find
anything obviously wrong.

So I tried enabling Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro system, and same
thing. All of the XP Home systems are denied access to the XP Pro shares.

What do I need to do to allow the XP Home systems to access the shares of
the XP Pro system?

Thanks very much,
Bruce.
8 answers Last reply
More about shares accessible

    Hi Bruce,

    Can you see the Pro machine on the network?
    Is SP2 installed, and if not is the firewall running?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. All can access the drive and
    >directory shares of each other.
    >
    > I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the XP Home systems
    > can access the shares of the XP Pro system. Not even the Shared Documents
    > folder.
    >
    > I've looked at the drive/directory Permissions and Security and can't find
    > anything obviously wrong.
    >
    > So I tried enabling Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro system, and same
    > thing. All of the XP Home systems are denied access to the XP Pro shares.
    >
    > What do I need to do to allow the XP Home systems to access the shares of
    > the XP Pro system?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > Bruce.

    > Can you see the Pro machine on the network?

    Yes. The XP Pro system is shown on the XP Home systems under My Network
    Places, as is the available shares, but attempts to access those shares
    (using the file explorer) from any XP Home system is denied.

    > Is SP2 installed, and if not is the firewall running?

    All systems have SP2 installed and all XP Firewalls are disabled.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. All can access
    > the drive and directory shares of each other.
    >
    > I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the
    > XP Home systems can access the shares of the XP Pro system.
    > Not even the Shared Documents folder.
    >
    > I've looked at the drive/directory Permissions and Security
    > and can't find anything obviously wrong.
    >
    > So I tried enabling Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro
    > system, and same thing. All of the XP Home systems are
    > denied access to the XP Pro shares.
    > What do I need to do to allow the XP Home systems to access
    > the shares of the XP Pro system?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > Bruce.

    If Simple File Sharing was disabled when you first shared the
    folders you would need user accounts on the XP Pro machine that
    are identical in user name and password to the accounts that
    are logged into the XP Home machines in order to have access to
    the shares.

    Now that you've enabled Simple File Sharing you need to
    recreate the shares. That means that you need to stop sharing
    the folders and then go back and reshare them. Log off and log
    back on to each of the XP Home machines and see if you can now
    access the folders.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
    > If Simple File Sharing was disabled when you first shared the folders you
    > would need user accounts on the XP Pro machine that are identical in user
    > name and password to the accounts that are logged into the XP Home
    > machines in order to have access to the shares.

    Both the XP Pro and XP Home systems are logged on using the identical userid
    and password. The Xp Pro shares are still not accessable.

    > Now that you've enabled Simple File Sharing you need to recreate the
    > shares. That means that you need to stop sharing the folders and then go
    > back and reshare them. Log off and log back on to each of the XP Home
    > machines and see if you can now access the folders.

    I just tried that and still no joy. I made sure Simple File Sharing is
    enabled, then one by one deleted the shares and recreated them. New shares
    showed up on the XP Home system, but they (old and new) are still
    unaccessable.

    Bruce.

    Hi Bruce,

    Sorry for the late response, I have been away and access was limited.

    Check "everyone" permissions on the designated share folders. "Access
    denied" usually indicates that the folder has not been set with the proper
    share permissions.

    --

    > Check "everyone" permissions on the designated share folders. "Access
    > denied" usually indicates that the folder has not been set with the proper
    > share permissions.

    Thanks for your reply Rick. After a lot of searching I found the answer in
    the Microsoft Knowledge Base 177078 last night.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078

    I had Norton AV installed about a year ago and have since uninstalled it,
    but apparently just installing it screws up the registry in a way that kills
    sharing, and has to be fixed manually. Once I did the registry editing per
    the article, all the XP Pro shares are now accessable from the HP Home
    systems.

    Bruce.

    Great Bruce, and thanks for sharing the resolution.

    --

    >> Check "everyone" permissions on the designated share folders. "Access
    >> denied" usually indicates that the folder has not been set with the
    >> proper share permissions.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply Rick. After a lot of searching I found the answer
    > in the Microsoft Knowledge Base 177078 last night.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078
    >
    > I had Norton AV installed about a year ago and have since uninstalled it,
    > but apparently just installing it screws up the registry in a way that
    > kills sharing, and has to be fixed manually. Once I did the registry
    > editing per the article, all the XP Pro shares are now accessable from the
    > HP Home systems.
    >
    > Bruce.

  8. First of all, check if the shares are accessible from the parent computer itself (as the only computer in the workgroup): go to My Network Places -> View Workgroup Computers -> check your computer -> check questioned share. If share is NOT accessible, try to increase IRPStackSize (read MS article on topic). Add the key to the computer registry if not present. Increase IRPStackSize step by step till works. This works! Mine was not working with IRPStackSize=15, works with IRPStackSize=18 (decimal). PROBLEM SOLVED !

Systems Windows XP