Sign in with
Your question

What options do I have for GPU upgrade on this machine?

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 12:46:08 AM

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF04a/12132708-...

it is the slimline model on the right. apparently it came with the option of a 8400gs or a quatro 290. so i am assuming i could at least upgrade to something like that. do i have any other options? are there more modern cards with similar power requirements? what is the best card to put in a system like this?

it currently has a q8400@3ghz in it. 1 hard drive. 1 gig of ram, though i plan to upgrade both the hard drive and the ram.
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 12:52:12 AM

Hi :) 

Umm thats a VERY old Vista business machine...unless you get it for peanuts, forget it....

You would have to buy a low rise pcie card and then have heat problems....

Its NOT a gaming machine and never will be...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:31:49 AM

standard brett reply. i want this machine topped off as best as possible. fact is its being used for gaming with the onboard graphics, so anything would be an improvement, even a 8400.

could someone more helpful than brett reply?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:34:58 AM

neon neophyte said:
standard brett reply. i want this machine topped off as best as possible. fact is its being used for gaming with the onboard graphics, so anything would be an improvement, even a 8400.

could someone more helpful than brett reply?

Look if you want it for a gaming machine , you are limited by the number and power of low rise cards.... I sell them so DO know what I am talking about....

As you are a Veteran you are perfectly capable of checking WHICH cards you are limited to..... and you wont like the answer if you are a gamer...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:35:19 AM

brett, leave this thread and never return. you are of no help
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:43:47 AM

neon neophyte said:
brett, leave this thread and never return. you are of no help

Lol.... sorry but i seem to have missed when they made you a Moderator ?

This thread is NOT just about YOU...its for others to read and learn from....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:44:42 AM

quit trolling my thread
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:50:44 AM

neon neophyte said:
quit trolling my thread

You are a Veteran , you MUST know a TROLL is the Original starter of a thread...

And thats YOU...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:52:48 AM

well thats 2 replies from you completely off topic and 2 that are of literally no help. i am going to end up remaking this thread because you seem to have no respect at all for the community here at toms
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 1:59:13 AM

neon neophyte said:
well thats 2 replies from you completely off topic and 2 that are of literally no help. i am going to end up remaking this thread because you seem to have no respect at all for the community here at toms

This is a COMMUNITY as you said...YOU asked for advice....you dont get to choose whether its advice you like or not....

Its for the communities benefit to read it all, be it good or bad advice...

You want me to say , I know a way to let that machine be upgraded to play BF3 on Ultra.... well sorry but its just not possible...as any hardware expert will tell you....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 2:01:02 AM

3 replies that are off topic. when i remake this thread i kindly ask you to stay off it. much like i have asked you to stay off this one.
m
l
October 9, 2012 2:22:03 AM

Im sorry, but i had to laugh about Brett and his trolling posts!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Coming back to the topic, if you are willing to spend money on it, just don't spend more than $200....

HD7750 + 380w antec PSU and some cheap memory sticks is all you need, what else can you do to save that dinosaur? i dont know :/  !

If that PC has a sata conector, would you add an SSD to it? o.O!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 2:26:04 AM

horaciopz said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Coming back to the topic, if you are willing to spend money on it, just don't spend more than $200....

HD7750 + 380w antec PSU and some cheap memory sticks is all you need, what else can you do to save that dinosaur? i dont know :/  !

If that PC has a sata conector, would you add an SSD to it? o.O!

the psu is slimline, so upgrading the psu is sort of out of the question. im not sure how proprietary its sizing it. it is a friends computer and they arent made of money. they are doing the best they can to game on it, and they do get some gaming done. older 3d games, minecraft, that sort of thing. ssd wouldnt be an option, and seems a silly one at that. really just trying to top this system off in anyway possible. the unit came with an optional 8400gs, so i know she can at least put that in to help her squeeze out a few more fps. curious if there is a better option though.
m
l
October 9, 2012 2:36:38 AM

There are tons of better options, HD6570 GDDR5, GT430, HD7750 :p  ! all of them will run perfetly fine on a 300w PSU. Those cards just pulls about 40-60w... And a 8400GS would take some 30-50w... None of them need any auxiliary conector.

Also, adding ram would do wonders...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 2:38:49 AM

will be adding ram. the psu is only 240w on the slimline but it has the same options for upgrade.

are you sure a machine that can support a 8400gs or a quattro 290 can also support a 7750? i know it is well known as a low power high performer but i am not sure that it actually consumes as little as a 8400gs
m
l
October 9, 2012 1:33:33 PM

Oh! so that one is the 240w model :/  ! getting another cheap case, for $10 you can get a mATX tower with enough space for a normal PSU...well thats just too much for such PC.... bets of luck with it.
m
l
October 9, 2012 1:54:23 PM

horaciopz said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I also LOL at this. And the idea that the Veteran ranking makes you some kind of expert. I saw a guy on here that only joined a couple of weeks ago and has already posted over 700 times. I forget what rank that gives him but it certainly doesn't make him an expert. Any idiot can post hundreds of crap posts (as demonstrated above).

I don't know much about low profile cards, but I'll second what's said about the RAM upgrade - moving up to 2-3GB will make Windows run much nicer. As for older graphics cards, a great thing about PC gaming is that it's been around for decades, so if you don't mind about not being able to play the latest games, there are hundreds of great games to choose from.
m
l
!