Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WGA

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 2, 2005 6:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122058,00.asp

A Microsoft spokesperson conceded on Friday that hackers had indeed
succeeded in cracking the WGA program, but said that the software giant will
fix the flaw they exploited in an upcoming version of the WGA program.

And:


David Keller, founder of PC consulting and services firm Compu-Doctor in
Cape Coral, Florida, was able to change his Internet Explorer settings to
bypass WGA when he ran into a flaw in the program that flagged a legitimate
product key on a customer's Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 as
invalid.

"The customer was the original owner, no hardware was changed since
purchase, nor was Windows ever reinstalled on the system," Keller said in an
e-mail to the IDG News Service. WGA had rejected the operating system,
nevertheless, thereby preventing Windows Update from working, he said.

Alias

More about : wga

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:51:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

As usual, the honest, law abiding user gets screwed.

Instead of using a script, I now have an uninstallable update on my machine.

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
443 KB

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23pzADxvlFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> hunted and pecked:
> From:
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122058,00.asp
>
> A Microsoft spokesperson conceded on Friday that hackers had indeed
> succeeded in cracking the WGA program, but said that the software giant
> will fix the flaw they exploited in an upcoming version of the WGA
> program.
>
> And:
>
>
> David Keller, founder of PC consulting and services firm Compu-Doctor in
> Cape Coral, Florida, was able to change his Internet Explorer settings to
> bypass WGA when he ran into a flaw in the program that flagged a
> legitimate product key on a customer's Windows XP Professional Service
> Pack 2 as invalid.
>
> "The customer was the original owner, no hardware was changed since
> purchase, nor was Windows ever reinstalled on the system," Keller said in
> an e-mail to the IDG News Service. WGA had rejected the operating system,
> nevertheless, thereby preventing Windows Update from working, he said.
>
> Alias
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:51:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> As usual, the honest, law abiding user gets screwed.
>
> Instead of using a script, I now have an uninstallable update on my machine.
>
> Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
> 443 KB
>

If enough law-abiding, honest users get screwed, then so
does the pooch...er, Microsoft. Imagine how a terrible time
or experience is going to translate when the time comes to
buy the next iteration of Windows. Just ask the employees,
former employees and shareholders of Intel on what it is like
to lose a tremendous lead over arch-rival AMD after the
debacle known as the Pentium III Processor Serial Number
(PSN), when the Intel CPU buyer turned against Intel...for
its outright arrogance and stupidity (not necessarily in
that order).
Related resources
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:51:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> As usual, the honest, law abiding user gets screwed.
>
> Instead of using a script, I now have an uninstallable update on my
> machine.

Yep, the paying customers are the ones that get screwed. And MS, after
gorging on the billions upon countless billions of their customers
dollars, doesn't care at all about their customers. They think the
pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that have
been paying customers all along.

That's why I'm slowly but surely moving to Linux. I'm not gonna risk
getting screwed by usage-limiting techologies inspired by MicroGreed.

And as can be clearly seen, with each new usage-limiting technology, it
gets worse, and more paying customers get screwed by it.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:51:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> That's why I'm slowly but surely moving to Linux. I'm not gonna risk
> getting screwed by usage-limiting techologies inspired by MicroGreed.

I hear ya! I'm doing the same thing. It'll probably still be awhile before
I officially cross over (probably not until Win2k no longer fits my needs)
but I definitely see myself doing it. Linux is getting better and better
(ie more user friendly) with each iteration and I forsee it surpassing MS,
especially at the rate MS is moving now.
August 3, 2005 9:11:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" wrote

.. They think the
> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that have
> been paying customers all along.
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test. I guess
MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed off, not just XP
users.

Alias
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alias wrote:
> "kurttrail" wrote
>
> . They think the
>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that
>> have been paying customers all along.
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>
> Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test.
> I guess MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed off,
> not just XP users.

MS is scum, and believes people are scum just like it is. People need
to wake up before MS is wired into every aspect of their lives.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:11:11 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>
>"kurttrail" wrote
>
>. They think the
>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that have
>> been paying customers all along.
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>
>Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test. I guess
>MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed off, not just XP
>users.
>
>Alias
>
It installed. Be never said my windows 98 system is not ok or ok.
Must be becuase it a business machine. (I got it from some workplace
getting rid of thier computers)

Greg Ro
August 3, 2005 11:24:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:o Sxkh5EmFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Alias wrote:
>> "kurttrail" wrote
>>
>> . They think the
>>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that
>>> have been paying customers all along.
>>> --
>>> Peace!
>>> Kurt
>>
>> Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test.
>> I guess MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed off,
>> not just XP users.
>
> MS is scum, and believes people are scum just like it is. People need to
> wake up before MS is wired into every aspect of their lives.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

I just found out that it only applies to non critical updates like the new
patch to OE for users other than XP.

Alias
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:24:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alias wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:o Sxkh5EmFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Alias wrote:
>>> "kurttrail" wrote
>>>
>>> . They think the
>>>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that
>>>> have been paying customers all along.
>>>> --
>>>> Peace!
>>>> Kurt
>>>
>>> Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test.
>>> I guess MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed
>>> off, not just XP users.
>>
>> MS is scum, and believes people are scum just like it is. People
>> need to wake up before MS is wired into every aspect of their lives.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>
> I just found out that it only applies to non critical updates like
> the new patch to OE for users other than XP.
>
> Alias

I wouldn't call the .NET framework a critical update, but that isn't
covered by WGA. Seems the MS wants pirates to have its .NET runtimes!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 3, 2005 11:53:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:uKA06NFmFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Alias wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:o Sxkh5EmFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Alias wrote:
>>>> "kurttrail" wrote
>>>>
>>>> . They think the
>>>>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that
>>>>> have been paying customers all along.
>>>>> --
>>>>> Peace!
>>>>> Kurt
>>>>
>>>> Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test.
>>>> I guess MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed
>>>> off, not just XP users.
>>>
>>> MS is scum, and believes people are scum just like it is. People
>>> need to wake up before MS is wired into every aspect of their lives.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peace!
>>> Kurt
>>
>> I just found out that it only applies to non critical updates like
>> the new patch to OE for users other than XP.
>>
>> Alias
>
> I wouldn't call the .NET framework a critical update, but that isn't
> covered by WGA. Seems the MS wants pirates to have its .NET runtimes!
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

I haven't downloaded that. Is there any reason to?

Alias
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:53:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alias wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:uKA06NFmFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Alias wrote:
>>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>>> message news:o Sxkh5EmFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>> Alias wrote:
>>>>> "kurttrail" wrote
>>>>>
>>>>> . They think the
>>>>>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that
>>>>>> have been paying customers all along.
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Peace!
>>>>>> Kurt
>>>>>
>>>>> Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine
>>>>> test. I guess MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get
>>>>> pissed off, not just XP users.
>>>>
>>>> MS is scum, and believes people are scum just like it is. People
>>>> need to wake up before MS is wired into every aspect of their
>>>> lives. --
>>>> Peace!
>>>> Kurt
>>>
>>> I just found out that it only applies to non critical updates like
>>> the new patch to OE for users other than XP.
>>>
>>> Alias
>>
>> I wouldn't call the .NET framework a critical update, but that isn't
>> covered by WGA. Seems the MS wants pirates to have its .NET
>> runtimes! --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>
> I haven't downloaded that. Is there any reason to?
>
> Alias

Only if you have a piece of software that requires it. Norton Ghost
does. A version of the ATI Catalyst drivers needs it, but ATI still
makes a version that doesn't.

But for the most part no, but more stuff is coming, I'm sure.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

question about oem version of winxp and activation.
I have an oem winxp home os and was thinking about building a new computer
altogether. I am going to install the os on the new computer. When it comes
time to activate will the internet activation work (it's been well over 120
days since last activated) or should i go right to the phone activation?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:%238jCsMHmFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Jack Handey <nothere@overthere.com> typed:

> question about oem version of winxp and activation.
> I have an oem winxp home os and was thinking about building a
> new
> computer altogether. I am going to install the os on the new
> computer.


The OEM license prohibits you from doing that. Probably the
biggest disadvantage of an OEM license is that it's good only for
the first computer it's installed on, and it can never be sold,
given away, or moved to another computer.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


> When it comes time to activate will the internet activation
> work (it's been well over 120 days since last activated) or
> should i
> go right to the phone activation?
August 3, 2005 11:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Once the 120 days are up, ms wont know the difference. You decide what you
should do about that, no one else.
"Jack Handey" <nothere@overthere.com> wrote in message
news:%238jCsMHmFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> question about oem version of winxp and activation.
> I have an oem winxp home os and was thinking about building a new computer
> altogether. I am going to install the os on the new computer. When it
> comes time to activate will the internet activation work (it's been well
> over 120 days since last activated) or should i go right to the phone
> activation?
>
August 4, 2005 12:22:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:%23NN5lcFmFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Alias wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:uKA06NFmFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Alias wrote:
>>>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>>>> message news:o Sxkh5EmFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Alias wrote:
>>>>>> "kurttrail" wrote
>>>>>>
>>>>>> . They think the
>>>>>>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that
>>>>>>> have been paying customers all along.
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> Peace!
>>>>>>> Kurt
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine
>>>>>> test. I guess MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get
>>>>>> pissed off, not just XP users.
>>>>>
>>>>> MS is scum, and believes people are scum just like it is. People
>>>>> need to wake up before MS is wired into every aspect of their
>>>>> lives. --
>>>>> Peace!
>>>>> Kurt
>>>>
>>>> I just found out that it only applies to non critical updates like
>>>> the new patch to OE for users other than XP.
>>>>
>>>> Alias
>>>
>>> I wouldn't call the .NET framework a critical update, but that isn't
>>> covered by WGA. Seems the MS wants pirates to have its .NET
>>> runtimes! --
>>> Peace!
>>> Kurt
>>
>> I haven't downloaded that. Is there any reason to?
>>
>> Alias
>
> Only if you have a piece of software that requires it. Norton Ghost does.
> A version of the ATI Catalyst drivers needs it, but ATI still makes a
> version that doesn't.

No Ghosts on my machine or any thing Symantec, thank you. I do have an ATI
video card but it doesn't seem to need it.

>
> But for the most part no, but more stuff is coming, I'm sure.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

Well, if something I want needs it, I'll cross that update when I get to it.

Alias
August 4, 2005 12:59:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Greg Ro" <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote in message
news:eLRnMjFmFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:11:11 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
>
>>
>>"kurttrail" wrote
>>
>>. They think the
>>> pocket change that WGA will bring it is worth screwing those that have
>>> been paying customers all along.
>>> --
>>> Peace!
>>> Kurt
>>
>>Win 98/Me/NT/2000 users are all now having to take the Genuine test. I
>>guess
>>MS wanted to make sure all of their customers get pissed off, not just XP
>>users.
>>
>>Alias
>>
> It installed. Be never said my windows 98 system is not ok or ok.
> Must be becuase it a business machine. (I got it from some workplace
> getting rid of thier computers)
>
> Greg Ro

No, it was a valid OS is why.

Alias
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:13:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jack Handey wrote:
> question about oem version of winxp and activation.
> I have an oem winxp home os and was thinking about building a new
> computer altogether. I am going to install the os on the new
> computer. When it comes time to activate will the internet activation
> work (it's been well over 120 days since last activated) or should i
> go right to the phone activation?

Don't do phone activation unless forced to.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:%238jCsMHmFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Jack Handey <nothere@overthere.com> typed:
>
>> question about oem version of winxp and activation.
>> I have an oem winxp home os and was thinking about building a
>> new
>> computer altogether. I am going to install the os on the new
>> computer.
>
>
> The OEM license prohibits you from doing that. Probably the
> biggest disadvantage of an OEM license is that it's good only for
> the first computer it's installed on, and it can never be sold,
> given away, or moved to another computer.

Actually the "license" prohibits moving an OEM OS to a new computer, but
what is a "New" computer isn't defined in the EULA, so a person is well
within their rights to come up with their own definition of what a new
computer means. Tape a case screw to the bottom of the 'upgraded' case,
and that could serve as a legitimate definition of an upgraded computer,
as opposed to a new computer.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:54:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

NoStop wrote:
> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, kurttrail had this
> to say:
>
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>> In news:%238jCsMHmFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Jack Handey <nothere@overthere.com> typed:
>>>
>>>> question about oem version of winxp and activation.
>>>> I have an oem winxp home os and was thinking about building a
>>>> new
>>>> computer altogether. I am going to install the os on the new
>>>> computer.
>>>
>>>
>>> The OEM license prohibits you from doing that. Probably the
>>> biggest disadvantage of an OEM license is that it's good only for
>>> the first computer it's installed on, and it can never be sold,
>>> given away, or moved to another computer.
>>
>> Actually the "license" prohibits moving an OEM OS to a new computer,
>> but what is a "New" computer isn't defined in the EULA, so a person
>> is well within their rights to come up with their own definition of
>> what a new computer means. Tape a case screw to the bottom of the
>> 'upgraded' case, and that could serve as a legitimate definition of
>> an upgraded computer, as opposed to a new computer.
>>
> HAHA, no one could then accuse you Kurt of having a screw loose.

Not when I have a generous supply of duct tape!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:50:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:13:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
<dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>Don't do phone activation unless forced to.

Why?

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:27:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

GregRo wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:13:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>> Don't do phone activation unless forced to.
>
> Why?
>
> Greg Ro

Because, why deal with the extra BS of typing in 50-digit activation IDs
on your phone keypad when you don't have to.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
!