PC Vs. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmi86

Distinguished
So I have been noticing this sudden up rising in apple products and the ignorance of their users and I just cant keep my mouth shut anymore. (feel free to do that same, thats why I started this thread : ) All i hear and see everywhere I go is massive amounts of marketing on behalf of Apple stating that macs are for Hip/trendy socialites and PC's are for Lame, acne ridden Anti-Social losers along with the product image that macs are vastly superior machines. All though this couldn't be any farther from the actual truth of it I still have had many conversations with the A-Typical mac user and they always go the same way. Full of statements like "they just work" or "macs dont crash" or even the infamous "macs dont get virus's" all of which are statements that have been directly adopted from the elitest womb of the apple marketing campaign and none of which can ever provide any factual basis to actually back up their claims. So all I can think to do is break it down as black and white as I possibly can and ask for all opinions ( mac users please only comment if you have something to say that actually has factual basis and I havnt heard it a million times before or isnt a direct quote from a mac commercial.thanks)

1-COST. For this segment I will compare a top end custom built PC Vs. a Mac of equal specs from the official Apple website.

Mac Pro
CPU-3.33Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon (haha i still laugh about macs using intel CPU's, well i guess they never really made their own anyways (Power PC was made by IBM)
RAM-12GB of DDR3 ECC SDRAM
HDD- 2TB
GPU- 2X Radeon 5770

Sorry for the lack of info, the great overlord Steve Jobs doesn't really disclose alot about the hardware he uses...(go figure)

Total $6071.00

Custom Built
MOBO-EVGA Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A2 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 (mac does not offer either sata 6GB/s or USB 3.0, this board has both)
CPU-3.33Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon
RAM-12 GB (4X3) Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (PC 16000) (much better performing/higher quality than the conventional 1600Mhz ddr3 used in the mac system)
GPU- 2X MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CFX (better quality and HDMI, which mac refuses to support)
HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
PSU- ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W@50°C ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single 12V Rail (much better quality and higher output than mac)
AUD- ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone( much higher performance and quality than integrated mac sound)
BLU-LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support (another mainstream technology apple refuses to acknowledge and does not offer)
CDR-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
CASE-Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (just as aesthetic as the mac case, if not more)
OS-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full

Total $4,182.87
Price difference $1,888.13

I think this is simple enough for even the most ignorant mac user to realize that the custom build is comprised of higher quality/better performing components while offering many very use-full mainstream technologies that Apple refuses to acknowledge even exist( marketing, they want you to buy their own proprietary dead end technologies) while somehow still managing to offer a $1,888.13 savings over the under performing mac pro. The extra must be for the shiny case and social status.

2-OPERATING SYSTEM.
*I'll give it to the mac that that their OS (not even totally theirs, based off UNIX) is very good looking and simple to use but this is also part of the problem as the mac OS is designed towards the computer illiterate and is actually quite limiting and very pointlessly laid out to anybody who has half a clue as to how to actually run windows.( no right click, goofy dock that doesnt differentiate between running programs and icons, programs dont actually close when i press x, no real full screen, drag and drop doesn't actually copy files just creates shortcuts and buckets full of other stupid little quirks that annoy the hell out of me)

* It's better?? I think not, this pre conception comes from the masses of brainless mac users who hopped on OSX with a hand full off retard proof built in software and managed to make a movie, not necessarily better just easier ( in the opinion of the mac user easier = better)

*Compatibility...HA, good luck interfacing with anything that doesn't have an " i " in front of the name. This is part of apples marketing scheme aswell, yes they will eventually do what you want (most of the time) but only if you buy the i-this and i-that from the apple store (which will cost twice as much, starting to see the trend??)

*Crashing. The difference between a pc based on Windows crashing and a Mac is that on the pc the crash is in 99% of the cases caused by badly coded third party software, when the Mac just has a faulty operating system. Why else would Apple themselves run their india website on Linux RedHat?
There is another fun part about crashes on the mac, it's almost always impossible to trace the source of the crash. When your mac crashes you simply reinstall the system. Sounds like a fun thing to do in your spare time, well buy a Mac then!

*Charging for service packs. Rediculous especially when you consider what the differences are between one and the other (not much)

3-Virus's. This one is very simple, macs do get virus's just not as many as PC's because there are not as many macs as PC's. If you were a virus writer why would you write code for a machine no one has ?? If anything mac's are actually more subceptible to virus's due to the fact mac openly advertises the fact you do not need anti-virus software and actually does little to nothing as far as built in securities... they even ship with their firewall turned off!!!!

4-Upgrading and customizing. Non Existent, with a mac what you buy is what you get. Yeah you can upgrade(slightly) but the prices are so astronomical that you might as well just get a new machine.

5-Software. The amount of software titles for mac platform are very limited and generally cost alot more than their windows based counterparts. Yes macs can now run windows in boot camp which allows macs to run windows software but isn't installing your most hated badly talked about competitors software kind-of like admitting defeat ??

6- Repair. Yes applecare is great, I wont argue with that. How ever after your 1 (or 3 years if you paid the extra $400) is up you are S.O.L. $1,100 to replace a burnt out GPU...yeah not for me.

7-Gaming. Yeah it's the number 1 talked about reason although it may not be the most important to some people which is why I put it last. All the same mac's have a major game deficiency. There are next to no major labels directly for the mac platform, yes you can run windows games in boot camp. Still whats even mac about running windows games in windows on the X86/X64 hardware mac's stole from the PC world because they couldn't hack it with their own hardware. Again shiny cover, social status and astronomical price tag come to mind.

Well folks that really about all I have to say on this matter. If i missed anything please feel free to continue where I left off.

cmi86

Distinguished
C'mon 26 views and no replies. Atleast one of you mac has people has to have 1 good reason why you pay so much money for such little computer, either that or you dont even get half way through it before you realize its all true and storm off in an i-tantrum lol.

jackemw

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I have to use a Mac for my g12 media class and the only enjoyment I
have gotten out of it is maybe browsing the net and writing a google
document, because the copy of office 2011 shat itself cause it didn't
have an I-name like the rubbish version of pages on iLife did. That
class is the only time I really sit down and explore the os, and I
can't say I'm impressed. There is nothing to look at because the way
apple locks down all system configs and there is no proper command
prompt, this is comparing it to unix os as well :|
the only thing I can play with is the system preferences linux styled
menu, apple may Be able to have a dock that is always shown but I
don't loose that space for the all precious dock. And I don't like how
if sometime is on the dock you have to go look for the application in
the finder, which is useless and slow.

In my computer science class, there are two guys that use macs, and
they are so proud of their shiny macs and turtle neck Steve jobs it's
disgusting. I did a price match between the best Dell xps and their
13 and 15" Mac books and they Dell is twice as better and 1.8 grand
cheaper and all they had to say way "look how much better the Mac
looks" .... 1.8 grand for a shiny case and a bloated incapable
operating system.
One of them has a go at my 2008 asus lappy telling me it gets too hot, and when he uses his he cant put it on his lap sometimes because of the heat factor.. least i can use my 3.6ghz 5870 desktop, without worrying about having to throw my whole system out when its time to upgrade.

By the way you can save 200 bucks buying some g.skill or ocz to just make that price difference close or over $2000 ;)

edit: grammatical errors

moviemarketing

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
In my case, we use Macs in our office primarily because we already invested so much in them in the past years that we are kind of locked in. Of course we know we can get cheaper windows workstations.

Looking forward to see the details of the upcoming FCP 64-bit update. Depending on the details we may either switch or stick with MacPros.

We do have a few Windows machines that we use for BD/DVD authoring.

I use a windows laptop for personal use and I'm planning to build a Windows desktop for use at home in the next few months.

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
It's really personal preference. Some people have been using mac's for years. I stopped my friend from buying a 4,000$ mac workstation, and I built him a hackintosh with similliar specs for 1,200$. Apple is exspensive.

mrdumsnut

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
It's easy to go overboard by buying upgrades from applestore. Apple computers are not cheap. They can even be painfully expensive... For me it's still good overall value for money.

I switched from windows to osx some years back and I very seldom use windows or any other os these days. I run snow leopard servers and are very happy with it.

Right click? Drag and drops? Goofy dock? You obviously have no clue about the operating system. And the system is not closed to anyone who know basic Unix commands. It's just closed to those who shouldn't poke around under the hood in the first place. To most "illiterates" it's very refreshing not to have to answer questions about "can I do this" all the time. Osx is actually an excellent choice for all the Linux geeks who continue to bash an operating system they haven't even looked at.

It's not a good choice for windows users who think they know something about computers but really don't. Anyone can quote hardware specs and point the finger at the stupid "others". I don't like people who buy expensive shoes or drive expensive cars.

Cheers to you, bait mate.

cmi86

Distinguished

So despite the fact I have been building my own computers for 10 years am currently writing you on one of them as we speak, speced that entire build that i used for the comparison and gave more technical facts than any mac user has ever heard in the commercial (similar to the gospel to you mac folks) I am dont know what im talking about ?? Oh wait of course I dont, your a mac user so obviously you know way more than me, you wont be able to tell me why but still ... I mean you were smart enough to spend way more than you had to on a computer that does less. Yes sir you...are a moron.

mrdumsnut

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Like building your own computer takes a rocket scientist :D I too can boast of the fantastic feat of having built my own PCs.

You still obviously have no experience of the operating system, otherwise you wouldn't have made such remarks of the way it works.

I suspect you will turn to stone if I throw pebbles at you until dawn.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I would say go with the pc. This is because it is cheaper, and the parts are up gradable. There are also more products that are not "Mac friendly". Its a lot cheaper to buy the pc also. If your worried about crashing get an external hd. My only other thing that I think is confusing is that you are building a server but you want to game? Or do you want both? Either way if you go with a pc you have made the right choice.

camelsmaycry

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Well everything you said is completely true CMI86 but I prefer the easy to use computer over the other OS's and Ive been a mac user all my life and honestly when I use a windows pc (in my uni lab) I for some reason get pissed off true story, I like how when you buy a mac you are guaranteed that you are going to love the machine you buy (not just computers look at the iPhone-iPod) Ive always liked them and paying the extra cash isnt a big issue for me when I am perfectly happy with what I get :)

ICanHaz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Personally, I don't like Macs. Although I haven't used one myself(well technically I have. There was a Mac thing that happened at the university), I find that the price and with that specs is ridiculous.

But you know, if you don't mind that and just like the good looks and its simplicity then I say why not. But of course going head on with a PC on all aspects is pretty stupid. The application incompatibility is one thing, the need to buy expensive stuff is another among other things.

Also, I think the least Apple could do is to insert every single high-end technology on their units to somehow justify the price. I mean Crossfire and not even with the highest end GPUs? Their MacBooks are also something to note on that aspect. 50% more expensive than the most advance gaming laptops which doesn't even come close to its specs. The least they could do is make the specs impress, not just the shiny aluminum case.

v5point0

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Macs are expensive no doubt about that, some people can justify it either because of professional/business commitment but others just like everything being simplified for them from purchase, usage to support. This is Apple's strength no doubt about it but fall into it and you will be locked into a walled garden where you will be at Apple's mercy and soon discover their scheme where you will be constantly reminded to upgrade or lose out on features and support.

Preference for an operating system is completely a subjective and individual matter, some people like Apples others like Oranges. Just use what you like and don't care what others have to say, they are not paying your OS.

G

For me its gaming, and now with onlive, you can game with both...

for those professionals that rig that OP posted is good and can be better with Quadro graphics instead of 2x geforce graphics, and running macintosh?

(OP you can add another processor to that rig for $1000 but still $888 less, 12 cores 24 threads vs 6 cores 12 threads for $888 more? only someone desperate would buy that or someone who doesnt want to install hackintosh)

For the price PC wins hands down, with hackintosh, I'm amazed that people still buy Macs, I have a friend that runs Hackintosh on a netbook (Core 2 Duo ULV not atom but still) and it looks no different from a macbook pro 13 that I saw at an apple store(software wise, the macbook is still a bit light). All the same software and it runs very smoothly.

I feel Apply products to be girly, to be honest

I choose this:

HAF942.jpg

Instead of:

macpro_hi.jpg

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You forgot one aspect retail value.Apple even used sells much more than your home made pc which you hardly can sell for what money you put into it. Besides this PC shown is not girly at all.maybe you need glasses!

G

Compared to the HAF? it is girly...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I completely agree with CMI86. Apple users just cannot keep their mouths shut about how cool their Macs are. First, I really dislike the common tag on this topic "PC vs. Mac". While I understand it is a widely accepted conventional name for this particular type of comparison, we all must remember: "PC" stands for "personal computer". Macs are also personal computers - nothing more and nothing less, NO MATTER how much Steve Jobs and his crew are trying to convince us otherwise. They're built on the same principle and using the same parts as all other computers: there is a motherboard, a CPU, a graphics card, etc. So I'm gonna stick to "Apple/Mac vs. Windows/other brands", if at all.
Second, I have to deal with exactly the same typical Mac-user symptoms like the ones you've described. "They just work", "There're no viruses on Mac" or even "Macs are much more powerful than any other computer"! Dealing with such a devoted Apple-maniac is a pain, because 90% of them don't even have any idea about computer hardware - for them, there's no difference between a Core i7 and Core 2 Duo. One of the Apple fans in my college even went as far as to argue that Apple is better because of their warranty service! Apple is trying to brainwash us all and forget about the existing hardware rules. On their website, they often refer to the processor as a "chip", as if it was something unimportant! And look how much time it took them to catch up with the hardware development: while most of the PC users were working with or planning to buy a Core iX series processor, Macs still came out with Core 2 Duo's. It really looks to me as if all they are trying to do is to make the users forget about the difference that hardware makes and to buy what looks better.
For example, the MacBook Pro 17'' is priced around $2000 in a decent configuration (Core i5, NVidia GT330M). For $1500, my friend bought Asus G73Jh - an amazing machine that runs any new game on max graphics like a charm. Everybody in his college kept trying to convince him to get a Mac, but he refused straight out and bought G73. I doubt that MacBook Pro could even dream of running Crysis 2 or Metro 2033 on full graphics even if it had Windows installed.
I, myself, had to go with a desktop instead of a laptop because gaming laptops cost triple their price in the US in India. For $1600 (would be about $370 less in the US, thanks to Indian taxes) I got the following build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 (wanted 2600K, but hard find it here, plus I don't plan on OC)
Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro
GPU: MSI NGTX-560Ti 1GB OC
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-TX750W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Display: LG E2360V 23'' LED Full HD
Not only that build totally overkills my everyday needs (Photoshop, video converting, gaming, entertainment), but it also allows me to run multi-boot (XP SP3, Win7 Ultimate, Ubuntu 10.10) and is future-proof (SLI: another GTX560 Ti in one year, I think, and RAM can be upgraded to 32GB if needed, and hell knows what Intel will make for LGA 1155 in the future!). Now, I wonder about the configuration Apple would have to offer for the same price! =)
I obviously don't consider software as part of my computer budget - when buying a computer, I pay for HARDWARE only. I own all my software for a long time - OS's, Photoshop and other stuff - and when the time comes to upgrade, I simply reinstall it on the new machine.
Concerning the viruses: it seems like they've became a major scarecrow for every user who doesn't know anything about IT. I barely talked my mother out of buying a MacBook Air, when all she needed was a 10-inch netbook for music and Internet. And after she did buy a netbook, she wanted to get some antivirus software...
Get it in your head, people, once and for all: you CANNOT "get" viruses on your computer unless YOU allow them to "get" there. All I had to do is to switch off autorun for all the external devices (USB drives, CD/DVD's, etc.) in Windows and switch on the hidden files and folders displaying, and all the scary viruses now can be instantly seen and deleted MANUALLY. That's right - I installed some commercial virus scanners on my system recently, and they couldn't find ANY virus/trojan/malware on my system. I have my firewall turned off, I surf the net all the time, and yet nothing! And it isn't just pure luck, of course, I just know what I'm doing.
And in case I ever get a virus, I'll either kill it myself (done this 4 times already, and learnt A LOT about registry and script files from it) or, if it's really bad, just reinstall my OS within an hour with all the software that I need. BTW, don't ever store your data on the same drive as the OS, and try to use external drives for backup of all the stuff you want to keep :)
Good job noticing: the Mac OS actually uses UNIX architecture, and a lot of stuff from the Ubuntu terminal works there. I had some fun with clueless Mac users by convincing them to use "sudo halt" to "speed up the performance" (switches off the comp insteaf) or "chmod 007" to "simplify the file access" (made them change the permissions so that they cannot access their own files) - this, by the way, proves once again how little they actually know about their machine, both hardware and software. So why does Apple show off about their OS so much if they just took what already existed and "made it better" (Not true, IMAO, I prefer Ubuntu 10.10 over any Mac OS version, and both are UNIX-based)???
Now, to the gaming. Yes, a few major titles like SPORE and some Need for Speed's came out for Apple, but that's a joke compared to hundreds of great games that exist for Windows. The main excuse that Apple-maniacs give is that "Macs aren't made for gamers!" IMAO, the computer that can do hardcore gaming can do pretty much everything. WHAT is it that Apple is made for?! Can somebody please tell me that, because the only thing that Apple computers can do that my 1.8 GHz Celeron laptop cannot is set up Wi-Fi ad hoc networks, but that's because I never read the manual on how to do it properly :D
About the supposed "just works": I've seen SO MANY Apple users having the same problems as the Windows users: some device doesn't work, a program keeps crashing, something overheats/breaks, the OS doesn't boot... And while in Windows 99% of the problems are solved by simply tweaking a few settings, in Mac OS that doesn't seem to be the case.
And it's completely true that Apple prefers to ignore certain essential features on their computers: HDMI, USB 3.0 (at least they invented Thunderbolt instead of that, though I'm still convinced Intel has done 90% of the work there), proper GPU's on their laptops (nVidia GT330M w/ 512MB is ridiculous, for the same price proper laptops have something like GTX460M or Mobility HD 5870)...
Yes, Apple was first to invent GUI, but soon everyone had it. Yes, Apple made the first successful (only because of huge marketing, though) touch smartphone, but now there is a whole bunch of models that beat the hell out of the iPhone in every area for the same or even less price. Yes, Apple was the first to introduce laptops with long battery lifes, but now every netbook beats them, and besides, who gives a crap about battery life? =)) So, is it really worth buying something that costs 1.5 times the same performance from any other respectable brand, has an "i" tag in front of its name and will make you look "cool" in the eyes of the same clueless Mac users? My answer is no. Here's a small list of hardware that I suggest buying instead of their Apple "competitors":
Instead of MacBook Pro: Dell Alienware or Asus G73Jh/Jw/SW. Ranging from $1500 to $5000, ANY configuration of these laptops is more powerful than the configuration Apple will offer you for the same price.
Instead of desktop Mac: CUSTOM BUILD! That saves you a lot of money, you get EXACTLY what you want, you often end having lots of fun building your system AND it develops logical thinking =) Plus the upgrade possibilities are awesome.

Instead of iPod: ANY mp3 player with large HDD, good sound and a few cool features. My iRiver 6GB still beats the hell out of any iPod in all areas except HDD: it has an inbuild remote control for TV/radio, long battery life, plays all kinds of formats, has radio, great sound quality, voice recorder (not present on iPod, as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong!) and works flawlessly for already 6 years (battery still good!), I'm not changing it till it breaks. AND I don't need iTunes to copy the music from my PC, yay! And Emperor crush me if I'm ever gonna be stupid enough watching movies on my mp3-player while travelling - I have my netbook for that!
Instead of MacBook Air (aka Apple netbook): Asus Automobili VX6. $600-800, and you get: Intel Atom Dual-core (1.8GHz), nVidia ION 2 w/ Optimus, 12'' screen, AWESOME design (after seeing that netbook, I ROFLMAO'd at one of my friends who said that Macbook Air has the best design ever among netbooks), 2-4GB DDR3 (not DDR2, like the rest of the netbooks on the market!) RAM, HDMI, Wi-Fi 802.11 g/n, 320GB HDD, etc... According to my research, this IS the best netbook on the market and will give some low-end full-size laptops a good run for their money (my FS Amilo Li 1818, for example). Netbook is supposed to be a rather cheap device equipped with all kinds of connectivity interfaces possible, and the Air costs at least $1200 and has NOTHING because Apple wanted it to be as thin as possible. Even the VGA output has to be connected through the adapter.
Instead of iPhone 4: Nokia N8 or Samsung Galaxy S, depends whether you prefer Symbian or Android. Both devices will offer you much better things to do with the phone that iPhone 4 for the same or even smaller price - awesome camera in case of N8 and flexibility of Android in case of SGS, though the SGS does pack a bit more of power (1GHz processor against 680 MHz in N8 and 512MB RAM against 256MB in N8). For Apple-maniacs who mumble "wait till iPhone 5 comes out!" - you're already beaten, check out the specs for Samsung Galaxy S II that will come out (can't wait!) in April/May.
Instead of iPad 2: get straight and forget tablets... get a netbook! If you love the tablets so much, go for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer: that one is way more powerful and has a detachable keyboard, which is also equipped with extra batteries and ports.
While I'm not trying to convince you to buy particular products (I'm not even paid for that!), my general message is: instead of blindly going for Apple gadgets because "they're cool" and "just work", look for something similar from the other brands that's more powerful and at the same time cheaper - in 100% of the cases such a gadget exists, and it usually has a good OS installed on it :)
My friend once compared Apple and its users to a cult. "They are ready to defend their useless cause until death, it seems", he said. I couldn't agree more - while Apple users don't have anything to justify their use of overpriced and underpowered hardware, they sure do have a lot of arrogance and smug. And Apple makes good money on it, for sure. I think the only way to shut them down now is to buy the whole corporation and dissolve it =))
Or is it? I think that if everyone would be a bit more conscious about the gadgets they use and how they compare to their similarly-priced competitors and look BEYOND advertisement and design - Apple, Inc. would cease to exist a long time ago.
(Though I personally find their design ugly... and this white-backlit apple on MacBook lids really makes me want to smash the MacBook to pieces!)
To sum it up, I regret the year 1997 for two reasons: 1) Apple was almost bankrupt; 2) A recent research showed that if one would have bought Apple stock for $3000 at that time, he could have sold it for about $300000 - 100 times as much - today. Maybe I could've afforded an even better PC now, had I done that. =)))
Basically, I just expanded what CMI86 wrote already and added a few more details. Sorry for a long post, but I hope you've learned something today :) Respect to all hardware-conscious computer users out there. Respect to all the gamers, we make the high-end PC industry thrive. Respect to all the PC components manufacturers for allowing us to choose from so much hardware. And respect to all the Apple-maniacs - the more you defend Apple, the more lulz I get :D
Smash Apple-maniacs everywhere you go! =)

G

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to type out the whole thing?

G

so originally how long did it take?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Anyway, looking at your above posts, you should be totally happy with mine, 'cause you also don't seem to like Apple that much =) Oh, and one more thing that I forgot because it only started recently - I hate how some brands try to copy Apple design or concepts, thinking that it'll enable them to compete. (most of the modern touch screen phones look like iPhone, GNOME 3.0 and Windows 8 borrowing Applications Strip from Mac OS) I wish that, when Apple came out with the iPad, all other brands would just not care at all... but no, they just had to get caught in the game and start making the same useless stuff! Of course, they have to keep their business running, but... how about someone actually outsmarts Apple so THEY have to copy and catch up, for once?! Every time it's other way around: Apple makes something, and all other brands have to take the gadget and actually make it usable (add USB, for example - iPad 1 didn't have it), then sell it. And yet everyone prefers Apple junk! A complete mystery for me and any other person who knows about computer hardware =)

jr77142

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
For all the people that are about to throw out their pc and get a mac, they are very simple ways you can clean your computer and make it run like brand new. Install CCleaner and use the cleaner part which cleans the unused junk on your hard drive that build up over time. Next use the registry cleaner part to fix registry errors.

A lot of people think their computer has a virus when it just simply needs a registry cleaning. Depending on how often you install and uninstall programs, you may have quite a few registry errors. Every time you delete stuff it quite often leaves parts of it on your pc. By using the registry cleaner it will delete the junk allowing your computer to run faster.

Another thing you can do is use the maintenance programs already on your pc. Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. Disk Defragmenter streamlines your hard drive reading speed by moving similar data together so than it can be accessed quicker when you open files or programs. Disk Cleanup is the similar program to the first cleaner on ccleaner, but differs from the registry ccleaner.

PCs are superior to Macs in performance and cost much less. They do require that you use your brain every now and then though, meaning do these simple things i've listed above. Similar to brushing your teeth or taking baths. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.