display problem on Inspiron 8K with 1600x1200 screen.

It looks like the driver is not quite compatible with the high 1600x1200
resolution. Some windows get corrupted until I minimize/maximize them.
At boot time, resolution switches back to 640x480. I have to get in display
properties each time to put it back to 1600x1200.
I have tried 2 drivers: the last one from support.dell.com and the one
coming with Windows XP-SP2. The latter gives best results. So I keep using
it.

I have tried on two different hardwares: Inspiron8000 and Inspiron8100,
using the same hard drive. The problem is exactly the same on both laptops.
Therefore I do not think it is a hardware problem.
Any suggestion ?

Sorry. I forgot to say that both laptops use Geforce2-go graphics.