*Ancient* kit. "EZ BIOS" and Win 98.

I'm trying to set up an old desktop for someone who's currently
running Win 95 on a 486 with a 14.4k modem. ;-)

The box I have is a P5-133, 64 MB RAM, and it comes with
something called "EZ BIOS". This last item is causing me all kind
of headaches.

I'm trying to set up the box's original copy of Win 98 SE on a
3GB hard drive that has been formatted. I can boot from the Win98
CD and never see any trace of this EZ BIOS thing, but once I've
installed 98 to the stage of the first reboot, then as soon as
I've selected 'boot from hard drive', it announces itself, tells
me I can hold down CTRL to see the status screen or boot from the
(non-existent) floppy drive, and then carries on booting. The
Windows splash screen appears normally, but stays up longer than
I would expect, and after a minute or two, I get a text screen
that asks me to key in the path to the command processor. Nothing
I've tried here makes any difference, all I can do is reboot.

I've booted the PC from the CD again and all the expected files,
visible and hidden, do appear to be on the C: drive. The hard
drive will work OK in another PC, one without this EZ BIOS, I can
install 98 there without a problem, but for obvious reasons I
would prefer not to make the system disk on one PC then use it in
another, with different specifications.

Does anyone have any experience with this EZ BIOS thing? I've
looked through the BIOS menus to see whether I can find some way
of telling it to mind its own damn business once Windows gets a
hold of itself, but with no success.

Any ideas gratefully received - except please don't tell me to
have them buy a new box. That's not an option.

Thanks,

Brian.
--
Invalid address used for Usenet postings.
Replace 'usenetposting' with my name

The solution is simple. Do not use EZ-BIOS, which is not required for the
system to use a 3GB drive properly. The motherboard is limited to supporting
drives no larger than 8.4GB. If you wanted to install a larger drive than
8.4GB, you might consider using EZ-BIOS, but I wouldn't.

So...

1. Run FDISK, and delete the presumed non-DOS partition created by EZ-BIOS.
2. From the command prompt, enter the command FDISK /MBR . This rewrites the
hard drive's master boot record, which was modified by EZ-BOOT.
3. Reinstall Windows.

.... Ben Myers