XPS 600

ahall

Dell has changed its top of the line
machine. Nvidia mother board.

Not that I have any intention of buying
one, but there were a couple of things
about it I did not understand.

1) XP Pro x64 OS.
This is offered, but with standard high end
pentium dual core chips. I though the 64 bit
OS required a 64 bit chip?

2) Dual video boards.
Is this only useful with dual monitors? Or do
they have some way to use the output of both
through one connector.

There are no "Help me choose" links, so I am a bit
clueless here.

ah

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Dell has changed its top of the line
> machine. Nvidia mother board.
>
> Not that I have any intention of buying
> one, but there were a couple of things
> about it I did not understand.
>
> 1) XP Pro x64 OS.
> This is offered, but with standard high end
> pentium dual core chips. I though the 64 bit
> OS required a 64 bit chip?
>
> 2) Dual video boards.
> Is this only useful with dual monitors? Or do
> they have some way to use the output of both
> through one connector.
>
> There are no "Help me choose" links, so I am a bit
> clueless here.
>
> ah
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

The dual core chips 8xx series are 64 bit ready as well as the Intel 5x1 and
6xx series processors.

The dual video board is 2 identical nvidia 7800GT graphics cards connected
internally but the PC sees them as a single card and you use the monitor
outputs from one of them, in this case they are Dual DVI so you can run 2
monitors if you wanted to.

HTH

Bal