CD Problem Mystery Continues!

For those who have been following this:

New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not the
type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).

When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I am
using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex-- that
are rewritable.).

When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when put
into my laptop, it still says read only.

I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
tried all different combinations of settings and no help.

We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD drive.
This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.

I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.

I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue screened. I
then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't recognize any
CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my laptop. I also
installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.

My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
cheap like me!).

Any other suggestions??

Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?

Mel

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in

> For those who have been following this:
>
> New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least
> not the type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF
> format).
>
> When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only.
> (Yes, I am using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and
> Memorex-- that are rewritable.).
>
> When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But
> when put into my laptop, it still says read only.

Which versions of Sonic and Roxio are you using, and are they the
"Dell" versions or retail versions?

I believe the latest "Dell" version of Sonic is 7.3 (Dell P/N D8506)

I believe the last Dell version of Roxio before they switched to Sonic
was 5.3.4+SP8 (Dell P/N T0408). If there was ever a Dell version of
Roxio 6 or 7 I never saw it. (If anybody knows of it, please advise me
of the Dell P/N for my notes). 5.3.4 is very stable if somewhat dated.

I've seen a number of issues with Sonic 7.2 and 7.3 with the Dell OEM
and IBM OEM versions, there are enough issues that our IT dep't has
switched back to Roxio for our corporate images.

You might also look at NERO. At one time you could download a 30-day
demo, I don't know if that's still true or not.

- FM -

Your software must support the UDF (packet writing) format. For the Nero
product that is InCD. I don't know what it is called when offered by Sonic.
If you don't have that, you won't be doing what you want.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> [...]

> drive. This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware
> problem.
>
> I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF
> format.
>
> I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue
> screened. I then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't
> recognize any CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on
> my laptop. I also installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>
> My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
> formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I
> don't want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it
> better be cheap like me!).
>

> Any other suggestions??
>
> Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?

"cheap like me" is illogical in this instance. It is *far* cheaper and
*far* more reliable to use write-once CDs using either the Windows
burner or a third party burner. You are chasing a chimera that the user
community at large has abandoned as not worth the effort.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

All I can do is tell you what my 600m shows and let you compare.

If you right click on the drive in My Computer, does it have "use with
DLA" checked?
If you click properties and check the DLA tab, does it have Enable DLA
checked
and Sonic at the bottom? If you look at the Recording tab, is Enable
Recording
enabled (mine isn't)?

If you put in a blank CD-R, what pops up? If Format with Sonic does,
have you tried that?

Moving CDs from one computer to another normally requires the CD to be
"closed" so it can
be read by the other drive. Newer versions of CD writing software seems
to want to store
the files until you tell it to burn them to the CD. I believe many of
the changes have been
brought about because of digital copyrights and other such things.

If you have Nero, you might need to turn the other stuff off so it
doesn't interfere
with Nero.

If you use Roxio, I think the newer versions require something called
Drag to Disk
to be running to use the drive as a storage unit. The older versions,
which I liked
more, just had a utility running to control the drive.

I don't know what you need to do, but the new USB storage devices seem
to be
replacing some of the CD-R uses.

A google search for CD-R burning with give you several hits with
tutorials. And
I bet there is some info on the Nero site. And try the below:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/

Clark

MB_ wrote:
> For those who have been following this:
>
> New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not the
> type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).
>
> When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I am
> using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex-- that
> are rewritable.).
>
> When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when put
> into my laptop, it still says read only.
>
> I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
> tried all different combinations of settings and no help.
>
> We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD drive.
> This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.
>
> I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.
>
> I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue screened. I
> then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't recognize any
> CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my laptop. I also
> installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>
> My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
> formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
> want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
> cheap like me!).
>

> Any other suggestions??
>
> Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?
>
> Mel

Why do you say that?

Doesn't it depend on your PURPOSE???

Mel

> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> For those who have been following this:
>>
>> New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not
>> the type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).
>>
>> When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I
>> am using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex--
>> that are rewritable.).
>>
>> When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when
>> put into my laptop, it still says read only.
>>
>> I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
>> tried all different combinations of settings and no help.
>>
>> We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD
>> drive. This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.
>>
>> I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.
>>
>> I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue
>> screened. I then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't
>> recognize any CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my
>> laptop. I also installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>>
>> My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
>> formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
>> want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
>> cheap like me!).
>>

>> Any other suggestions??
>>
>> Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?
>>
>> Mel
>>

> "cheap like me" is illogical in this instance. It is *far* cheaper and
> *far* more reliable to use write-once CDs using either the Windows burner
> or a third party burner. You are chasing a chimera that the user
> community at large has abandoned as not worth the effort.

download the drive_up.exe from roxio's update site.
this will update the cdrom drive information for your drives.
this should clear up your problem why roxio didnt work for you.
it is a good product.

MB_ wrote:

> For those who have been following this:
>
> New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not the
> type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).
>
> When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I am
> using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex-- that
> are rewritable.).
>
> When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when put
> into my laptop, it still says read only.
>
> I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
> tried all different combinations of settings and no help.
>
> We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD drive.
> This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.
>
> I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.
>
> I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue screened. I
> then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't recognize any
> CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my laptop. I also
> installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>
> My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
> formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
> want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
> cheap like me!).
>

> Any other suggestions??
>
> Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?
>
> Mel

I have to concur. Write-once CD-Rs are hands down far more popular than
rewritable CD-Rs for several reasons:

1. Price
2. Ease of use
3. Reliability of media

Regarding reliability, one cannot expect to write, write and write to CD-RWs
repeatedly because they simply wear out, and somewhat unpredictably at that.

Also using the multi-session recording capability built into some CD burning
software packages (e.g. Nero), one CAN update files previously written to a CD.

Finally, never ever ever use rewritable CD-Rs to record audio tracks. Fidelity
is too low.

Now, then, what is the purpose for which you would like to use the CD burner,
irrespective of the media used? ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:33:53 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>Why do you say that?
>
>Doesn't it depend on your PURPOSE???
>
>Mel
>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>> For those who have been following this:
>>>
>>> New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not
>>> the type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).
>>>
>>> When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I
>>> am using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex--
>>> that are rewritable.).
>>>
>>> When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when
>>> put into my laptop, it still says read only.
>>>
>>> I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
>>> tried all different combinations of settings and no help.
>>>
>>> We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD
>>> drive. This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.
>>>
>>> I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.
>>>
>>> I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue
>>> screened. I then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't
>>> recognize any CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my
>>> laptop. I also installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>>>
>>> My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
>>> formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
>>> want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
>>> cheap like me!).
>>>

>>> Any other suggestions??
>>>
>>> Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?
>>>
>>> Mel
>>>

>> "cheap like me" is illogical in this instance. It is *far* cheaper and
>> *far* more reliable to use write-once CDs using either the Windows burner
>> or a third party burner. You are chasing a chimera that the user
>> community at large has abandoned as not worth the effort.

BTW, if CDBurnerXPPro managed to record something on a CD, you do not have a
defective CD burner. As others have stated, you need to install more software
to use the UDF format... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:03:14 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>For those who have been following this:
>
>New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not the
>type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).
>
>When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I am
>using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex-- that
>are rewritable.).
>
>When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when put
>into my laptop, it still says read only.
>
>I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
>tried all different combinations of settings and no help.
>
>We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD drive.
>This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.
>
>I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.
>
>I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue screened. I
>then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't recognize any
>CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my laptop. I also
>installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>
>My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
>formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
>want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
>cheap like me!).
>

>Any other suggestions??
>
>Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?
>
>Mel

Ben:

My purpose is merely to move assorted files from one computer to another
(from work or from one of my two computers to the other one).

I can also do this via my USB pen-type flash memory too.

I guess it isn't really essential, it is more stubborness on my part right
now to solve this mystery!

Mel

> BTW, if CDBurnerXPPro managed to record something on a CD, you do not have
> defective CD burner. As others have stated, you need to install more
> software
> to use the UDF format... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:03:14 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>For those who have been following this:
>>
>>New Inspiron 2200 notebook. I can't seem to do a CD format. At least not
>>the
>>type that turns it into a glorified large floppy (ie: UDF format).
>>
>>When I try via my SONIC software, it says the media is Read Only. (Yes, I
>>am
>>using the correct media: a few different brands -- Sony and Memorex-- that
>>are rewritable.).
>>
>>When I format it using Roxio on my older machine it works fine. But when
>>put
>>into my laptop, it still says read only.
>>
>>I think my settings are correct (set to DLA, set to enable Record). I've
>>tried all different combinations of settings and no help.
>>
>>We finally replaced the SONY CDRW/DVD Drive with a Phillips CDRW/DVD
>>drive.
>>This made no difference, so I guess it isn't a hardware problem.
>>
>>I d/l CDBURNERXPPRO but that doesn't seem to be able to do a UDF format.
>>
>>I tried installing the Roxio CD in my laptop. I was getting blue screened.
>>then installed the update. No blue screen, but it wouldn't recognize any
>>CD's in the drive at all, so I guess Roxio won't work on my laptop. I also
>>installed all update patches for Sonic and XP Home.
>>
>>My next step: I'm going to try and find some software that supposedly
>>formats CD's to set them up to do drag and drop (ie: UDF format). I don't
>>want to pay for any yet (unless it works for sure, and then it better be
>>cheap like me!).
>>

>>Any other suggestions??
>>
>>Is there another newsgroup specific to this area I can post this to?
>>
>>Mel

Burning write-once CDs will accomplish your stated purpose. So will networking
your two home computers, and even more easily... Ben Myers

Jay B wrote:
> download the drive_up.exe from roxio's update site.
> this will update the cdrom drive information for your drives.
> this should clear up your problem why roxio didnt work for you.
> it is a good product.

I had this same problem when switching to a new PC. I installed JUST
Drag to Disc - latest Roxio UDF software - and not the rest of the
package. I downloaded the latest drive update from Roxio's site, as
mentioned by Jay B. Than I ran Drag to Disc format on a blank CDRW.

I have used CDRWs formatted by Roxio and it's predecessors for at least
5 versions now, and evrytime I siwtch a PC, I've had to this. Once the
formatted disc is working I then install the full Roxio and Nero
packages and use them as I see fit. I could not get used to InCD
(nero's UDF) when DirectCD completely flacked out on a me a few years
ago and was glad when a newer version DirectCD worked again for me. I
could nver get Sonic's version, can't remember what it's called, to work
for me.

At my office I have Nero for burning and ONLY DirectCD (Dell version
5.?? - last one) for UDF. Works fine.

BTW, I have burning Disabled on my drives' properties and the IMAPI
CD-Burning COM Service disabled in services.msc. The idea of trusting
MS to handle the files I want on a CD and letting MS manage burning said
files makes me jsut a little unthrilled - no way!.

HTH.
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com