Folder read only attribute

August 1, 2005 10:52:15 PM

I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
this?.

More about : folder read attribute

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:14:14 PM

You don't have to go into the registry. Open Windows Explorer | Tools |
Folder Options | View Tab. About halfway don is the radio button to Show
hidden files and folders.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

"James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EE18329-08EB-42D4-8025-8E40E7F0567C@microsoft.com...
>I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
> followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
> change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i
> resolve
> this?.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:50:06 AM

"James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EE18329-08EB-42D4-8025-8E40E7F0567C@microsoft.com
> I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn
> and followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command
> promp change the folders read only property) but still no good. How
> can i resolve this?.

You can't.
That box is there to allow you to change all of the files in the folder.
Ignore it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
>followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
>change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
>this?.

The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
here.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

On this date, Tim Slattery extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked
>>up on msdn and followed the workaround(change the registry
>>then from the command promp change the folders read only
>>property) but still no good. How can i resolve this?.
>
> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What
> you are seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third
> state: grayed-out with a check. It's trying to tell you
> that the option doesn't really apply here.

That's entirely true, except that you /can/ change it, albeit
only momentarily, by opening a "DOS" window and using the old
fashioned attrib command, which also works in /all/ the places
where Windoze GUI refuses to respond to the users request to
clear a read-only, hidden, or system attribute bit.

The reason this is important, is that Windoze XP Pro SP1
/regularly/ refuses to allow me to change folder names even
though I clearly have full admininstrator rights. Usually, it is
the bullshit message something to the effect "access denied or
this device may be in use by another program". A quick trip to
"DOS" and the deed is done.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

Tim,
The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
difficulty.....
any ideas?.

"Tim Slattery" wrote:

> "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
> >followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
> >change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
> >this?.
>
> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
> seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
> a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
> here.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:00:00 PM

That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read only then they are not.

"James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8568064-A777-46E4-9027-AB7A1EA4D05D@microsoft.com...
> Tim,
> The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
> program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
> because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
> difficulty.....
> any ideas?.
>

> "Tim Slattery" wrote:
>
>> "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
>> >followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
>> >change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
>> >this?.
>>
>> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
>> seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
>> a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
>> here.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Slattery
>> MS MVP(DTS)
>> Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:00:01 PM

Yeah well i notice that the problem seems to be because i copied backup files
from a dvd. If i create a new project myself in installshield express the
folders are deleted and renamed no problem but i cannot do this with my
backup projects which to be honest is annoying. I have noticed my co-workers
all have the same settings as i have on my computer so i guess this is just
meant to work like this.

"David Candy" wrote:

> That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read only then they are not.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8568064-A777-46E4-9027-AB7A1EA4D05D@microsoft.com...
> > Tim,
> > The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
> > program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
> > because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
> > difficulty.....
> > any ideas?.

> >> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
> >> seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
> >> a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
> >> here.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tim Slattery
> >> MS MVP(DTS)
> >> Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:57:09 PM

If it's an installshield problem talk to them. Windows is not preventing them from being deleted. InstallShield is deciding not too.

"James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C8576BB-08DA-4E84-96C5-8A13640C6A82@microsoft.com...
> Yeah well i notice that the problem seems to be because i copied backup files
> from a dvd. If i create a new project myself in installshield express the
> folders are deleted and renamed no problem but i cannot do this with my
> backup projects which to be honest is annoying. I have noticed my co-workers
> all have the same settings as i have on my computer so i guess this is just
> meant to work like this.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read only then they are not.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8568064-A777-46E4-9027-AB7A1EA4D05D@microsoft.com...
>> > Tim,
>> > The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
>> > program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
>> > because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
>> > difficulty.....
>> > any ideas?.

August 4, 2005 7:39:35 AM

"=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNfZGVhbg==?=" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:3C8576BB-08DA-4E84-96C5-8A13640C6A82@microsoft.com:

> Yeah well i notice that the problem seems to be because i copied
> backup files from a dvd. If i create a new project myself in
> installshield express the folders are deleted and renamed no problem
> but i cannot do this with my backup projects which to be honest is
> annoying. I have noticed my co-workers all have the same settings as i
> have on my computer so i guess this is just meant to work like this.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read
>> only then they are not.
>>
>> --
>> ----------------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> ================================================= "James_dean"
>> <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Tim,
>> > The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build
>> > and run the program it has to delete and then recreate folders but
>> > it cannot do it now because of this read only attribute problem. So
>> > maybe now you can see my difficulty.....
>> > any ideas?.

I'm not sure if this applies, but you mentioned copying from a CD. This
will set the RO attribute on the FILES in the folder. As mentioned by
others, the RO attribute on folders is ignored - but not the one on
files.

You can remove the RO attribute on all the files in the folder and its
subfolders by:

attrib -R yourfoldernamehere /S /D

If you do this often, you can merge the following .reg file, it will add
this to the right-click context menu for drives and directories:

-----------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\RemoveROattribute]
@="RemoveRO"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\RemoveROattribute\command]
@="ATTRIB -R \"%1\" /S /D"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\RemoveROattribute]
@="RemoveRO"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\RemoveROattribute\command]
@="ATTRIB -R \"%1\" /S /D"

(you can change the "RemoveRO" to whatever name for the command you want
displayed in the menu)
!