Folder read only attribute

I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
this?.
9 answers Last reply
More about folder read attribute

    You don't have to go into the registry. Open Windows Explorer | Tools |
    Folder Options | View Tab. About halfway don is the radio button to Show
    hidden files and folders.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

    "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
    > followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
    > change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i
    > resolve
    > this?.

    "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn
    > and followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command
    > promp change the folders read only property) but still no good. How
    > can i resolve this?.

    You can't.
    That box is there to allow you to change all of the files in the folder.
    Ignore it.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
    >followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
    >change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
    >this?.

    The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
    seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
    a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
    here.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    On this date, Tim Slattery extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked
    >>up on msdn and followed the workaround(change the registry
    >>then from the command promp change the folders read only
    >>property) but still no good. How can i resolve this?.
    >
    > The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What
    > you are seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third
    > state: grayed-out with a check. It's trying to tell you
    > that the option doesn't really apply here.

    That's entirely true, except that you /can/ change it, albeit
    only momentarily, by opening a "DOS" window and using the old
    fashioned attrib command, which also works in /all/ the places
    where Windoze GUI refuses to respond to the users request to
    clear a read-only, hidden, or system attribute bit.

    The reason this is important, is that Windoze XP Pro SP1
    /regularly/ refuses to allow me to change folder names even
    though I clearly have full admininstrator rights. Usually, it is
    the bullshit message something to the effect "access denied or
    this device may be in use by another program". A quick trip to
    "DOS" and the deed is done.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    Tim,
    The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
    program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
    because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
    difficulty.....
    any ideas?.

    "Tim Slattery" wrote:

    > "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
    > >followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
    > >change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
    > >this?.
    >
    > The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
    > seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
    > a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
    > here.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > MS MVP(DTS)
    > Slattery_T@bls.gov

    That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read only then they are not.

    "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8568064-A777-46E4-9027-AB7A1EA4D05D@microsoft.com...
    > Tim,
    > The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
    > program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
    > because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
    > difficulty.....
    > any ideas?.
    >

    > "Tim Slattery" wrote:
    >
    >> "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I cannot change any folders read only attribute. I looked up on msdn and
    >> >followed the workaround(change the registry then from the command promp
    >> >change the folders read only property) but still no good. How can i resolve
    >> >this?.
    >>
    >> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
    >> seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
    >> a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
    >> here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tim Slattery
    >> MS MVP(DTS)
    >> Slattery_T@bls.gov

    Yeah well i notice that the problem seems to be because i copied backup files
    from a dvd. If i create a new project myself in installshield express the
    folders are deleted and renamed no problem but i cannot do this with my
    backup projects which to be honest is annoying. I have noticed my co-workers
    all have the same settings as i have on my computer so i guess this is just
    meant to work like this.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read only then they are not.

    > "James_dean" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8568064-A777-46E4-9027-AB7A1EA4D05D@microsoft.com...
    > > Tim,
    > > The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build and run the
    > > program it has to delete and then recreate folders but it cannot do it now
    > > because of this read only attribute problem. So maybe now you can see my
    > > difficulty.....
    > > any ideas?.

    > >> The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. What you are
    > >> seeing is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with
    > >> a check. It's trying to tell you that the option doesn't really apply
    > >> here.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Tim Slattery
    > >> MS MVP(DTS)
    > >> Slattery_T@bls.gov

    If it's an installshield problem talk to them. Windows is not preventing them from being deleted. InstallShield is deciding not too.

    "=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNfZGVhbg==?=" <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:3C8576BB-08DA-4E84-96C5-8A13640C6A82@microsoft.com:

    > Yeah well i notice that the problem seems to be because i copied
    > backup files from a dvd. If i create a new project myself in
    > installshield express the folders are deleted and renamed no problem
    > but i cannot do this with my backup projects which to be honest is
    > annoying. I have noticed my co-workers all have the same settings as i
    > have on my computer so i guess this is just meant to work like this.
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> That because it's not your problem. Unless you make the folders read
    >> only then they are not.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ----------------------------
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> ================================================= "James_dean"
    >> <Jamesdean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Tim,
    >> > The problem is i am using installshield express and when i build
    >> > and run the program it has to delete and then recreate folders but
    >> > it cannot do it now because of this read only attribute problem. So
    >> > maybe now you can see my difficulty.....
    >> > any ideas?.

    I'm not sure if this applies, but you mentioned copying from a CD. This
    will set the RO attribute on the FILES in the folder. As mentioned by
    others, the RO attribute on folders is ignored - but not the one on
    files.

    You can remove the RO attribute on all the files in the folder and its
    subfolders by:

    attrib -R yourfoldernamehere /S /D

    If you do this often, you can merge the following .reg file, it will add
    this to the right-click context menu for drives and directories:

    -----------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\RemoveROattribute]
    @="RemoveRO"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\RemoveROattribute\command]
    @="ATTRIB -R \"%1\" /S /D"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\RemoveROattribute]
    @="RemoveRO"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\RemoveROattribute\command]
    @="ATTRIB -R \"%1\" /S /D"

    (you can change the "RemoveRO" to whatever name for the command you want
    displayed in the menu)

Read Only Microsoft Command Prompt Windows XP