Common Files folder opens at startup

Everytime I start my computer the C:\Program Files\Common folder opens! It's
so annoying. I have looked at other posts and have tried the
Start-Run-misconfig-Check startup tab but this folder is not listed. There
are some programs within the common files folder that are listed, but not the
simple file path I wrote above. If anyone has an idea on how to make this
folder go away please help!

Thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about common files folder opens startup

    Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Melissa P." wrote:

    | Everytime I start my computer the C:\Program Files\Common folder opens! It's
    | so annoying. I have looked at other posts and have tried the
    | Start-Run-misconfig-Check startup tab but this folder is not listed. There
    | are some programs within the common files folder that are listed, but not the
    | simple file path I wrote above. If anyone has an idea on how to make this
    | folder go away please help!
    |
    | Thank you.

    Look at the specific entries, carefully. If necessary use REGEDIT, as well as examining any shortcut properties. Look for the one that references the C:\Program Files\Common Files and is not enclosed in quotes. Particularly in shortcuts, having spaces in the path requires that the command line be in quotes.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Melissa P." <Melissa P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E323F05F-D2DA-43D1-9447-57A0EA4301F2@microsoft.com...
    > Everytime I start my computer the C:\Program Files\Common folder opens! It's
    > so annoying. I have looked at other posts and have tried the
    > Start-Run-misconfig-Check startup tab but this folder is not listed. There
    > are some programs within the common files folder that are listed, but not the
    > simple file path I wrote above. If anyone has an idea on how to make this
    > folder go away please help!
    >
    > Thank you.

    REGEDIT? And I found a file in the Startup that has something after the
    \Common Files that has to do with Symantec and is not enclosed in quotes.
    (But when that common files folder opens on the desktop the files in it say
    nothing about Symantec...?) How do I change the command line to include
    quotes?

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Look at the specific entries, carefully. If necessary use REGEDIT, as well as examining any shortcut properties. Look for the one that references the C:\Program Files\Common Files and is not enclosed in quotes. Particularly in shortcuts, having spaces in the path requires that the command line be in quotes.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Melissa P." <Melissa P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E323F05F-D2DA-43D1-9447-57A0EA4301F2@microsoft.com...
    > > Everytime I start my computer the C:\Program Files\Common folder opens! It's
    > > so annoying. I have looked at other posts and have tried the
    > > Start-Run-misconfig-Check startup tab but this folder is not listed. There
    > > are some programs within the common files folder that are listed, but not the
    > > simple file path I wrote above. If anyone has an idea on how to make this
    > > folder go away please help!
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    Hi Melissa,

    Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT The locations you're primarily interested in, if its loading from the Registry are:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    These are the most likely locations for programs loading from the registry. Find the specific entry and double click it. Enclose the command line in quotes.

    "Melissa P." <MelissaP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53B78E10-C9A9-4D9D-9DBC-8D90703D4635@microsoft.com...
    > REGEDIT? And I found a file in the Startup that has something after the
    > \Common Files that has to do with Symantec and is not enclosed in quotes.
    > (But when that common files folder opens on the desktop the files in it say
    > nothing about Symantec...?) How do I change the command line to include
    > quotes?
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Look at the specific entries, carefully. If necessary use REGEDIT, as well as examining any shortcut properties. Look for the one that references the C:\Program Files\Common Files and is not enclosed in quotes. Particularly in shortcuts, having spaces in the path requires that the command line be in quotes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Melissa P." <Melissa P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E323F05F-D2DA-43D1-9447-57A0EA4301F2@microsoft.com...
    >> > Everytime I start my computer the C:\Program Files\Common folder opens! It's
    >> > so annoying. I have looked at other posts and have tried the
    >> > Start-Run-misconfig-Check startup tab but this folder is not listed. There
    >> > are some programs within the common files folder that are listed, but not the
    >> > simple file path I wrote above. If anyone has an idea on how to make this
    >> > folder go away please help!
    >> >
    >> > Thank you.

    Thank you for all of your help Doug, but I still have not gotten rid of that
    folder! I checked everything you said, found a few lines that I put quotes
    around like you said and still, nothing. Any other ideas?

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Melissa,
    >
    > Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT The locations you're primarily interested in, if its loading from the Registry are:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > These are the most likely locations for programs loading from the registry. Find the specific entry and double click it. Enclose the command line in quotes.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Melissa P." <MelissaP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53B78E10-C9A9-4D9D-9DBC-8D90703D4635@microsoft.com...
    > > REGEDIT? And I found a file in the Startup that has something after the
    > > \Common Files that has to do with Symantec and is not enclosed in quotes.
    > > (But when that common files folder opens on the desktop the files in it say
    > > nothing about Symantec...?) How do I change the command line to include
    > > quotes?
    > >
    > > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Look at the specific entries, carefully. If necessary use REGEDIT, as well as examining any shortcut properties. Look for the one that references the C:\Program Files\Common Files and is not enclosed in quotes. Particularly in shortcuts, having spaces in the path requires that the command line be in quotes.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > >> --------------------------------
    > >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Hi Melissa,

    See my web site, www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Startup Programs Tracker. This utility will generate a log file that you can copy and paste into a reply messsage. Generally, the Running Processes and the Services section aren't necessary.

    "Melissa P." <MelissaP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A735377B-62AB-4DD8-AABF-470140B50ED3@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you for all of your help Doug, but I still have not gotten rid of that
    > folder! I checked everything you said, found a few lines that I put quotes
    > around like you said and still, nothing. Any other ideas?
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Melissa,
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT The locations you're primarily interested in, if its loading from the Registry are:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> These are the most likely locations for programs loading from the registry. Find the specific entry and double click it. Enclose the command line in quotes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Melissa P." <MelissaP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53B78E10-C9A9-4D9D-9DBC-8D90703D4635@microsoft.com...
    >> > REGEDIT? And I found a file in the Startup that has something after the
    >> > \Common Files that has to do with Symantec and is not enclosed in quotes.
    >> > (But when that common files folder opens on the desktop the files in it say
    >> > nothing about Symantec...?) How do I change the command line to include
    >> > quotes?

    you could try downloading and running this:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html
    (it doesn't need to be 'installed'; just unzip and run from any directory)
    it's very comprehensive.
    if you spot a reference to 'Common' you can investigate further or select
    the line and delete it if desired.
    is there anything in 'Docs and Settings\melissa\recent'?

    bob

    There are a lot of files in the Recent Documents folder... I will try and run
    Doug's program first, and then try this one. Thanks!

    "Bob Lawn" wrote:

    > you could try downloading and running this:
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html
    > (it doesn't need to be 'installed'; just unzip and run from any directory)
    > it's very comprehensive.
    > if you spot a reference to 'Common' you can investigate further or select
    > the line and delete it if desired.
    > is there anything in 'Docs and Settings\melissa\recent'?
    >
    > bob

    Again the Startup Tracker comes to the rescue.

    Another reference for you Melissa. See:

    Windows XP: Folder view upon login: (my own post there at EE)
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21423420.html
    Date: 05/13/2005 08:43PM IST
    Type: PAQ

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > THANK YOU!!! Thank you for your persistence, I think the problem is
    > finally
    > fixed. I wish I had found these help forums sooner. I know who I'll come
    > find if I have any more computer troubles!! Thanks again, I really
    > appreciate your help.
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Melissa,
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT
    >>
    >> Go to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> In the right pane, locate the values SSC_UserPrompt. Double click this
    >> value and put a quote mark " before and after the command line. Log
    >> off/log back on.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    <snip>

Computers Microsoft Windows XP