followup on gateway service

Well, I posted a little while ago, about the debacle, on trying to
return my laptop to gateway, and trying for weeks to get a box from them to
return the laptop for warranty service on a three month old unit. (they said
they wouldnt accept for warranty any computer that was not sent in their
box, from dhl. )
Well I finally after hours more phone calls, got a box on
friday(only about three to four weeks, after requesting. ) They sent it out
on thurday, dhl, overnight. (finally someone did the right thing. )
I called dhl, and arranged for pickup on this monday. Dhl came in
the afternoon and picked it up.
Today, thursday, fed express rang my bell, and low and behold it
was the laptop, that I was not expecting for another three weeks.
Gateway did not sign for the laptop till yesterday (wednesday ).
So I expected to see some bogus note in their, saying how the
repair was my fault and they werent going to honor it. I actually, got out a
distant cousin of mine, whos a lawyer phone number out first, before I even
opened the box.
but I opened the box, and my laptop, was there, and it seems to be
repaired, with nothing touched, on the hard drive. (The screen backlighting
was not working)
The only note that came with the computer, is that any parts that
were used or the repair itself, would have an 90 day guarantee on it(I guess
they are assuming, if it goes past the one year gateway gurarantee. )
I wish they would tell you what they did to the machine, so I would
know in the future.
anyway, happy that gateway got the computer back to me in actually
the next day after they received it.

Much regards Jerry

Scott

"j.lef" wrote:

> Well, I posted a little while ago, about the debacle, on trying to
> return my laptop to gateway, and trying for weeks to get a box from them to
> return the laptop for warranty service on a three month old unit. (they said
> they wouldnt accept for warranty any computer that was not sent in their
> box, from dhl. )
> Well I finally after hours more phone calls, got a box on
> friday(only about three to four weeks, after requesting. ) They sent it out
> on thurday, dhl, overnight. (finally someone did the right thing. )
> I called dhl, and arranged for pickup on this monday. Dhl came in
> the afternoon and picked it up.
> Today, thursday, fed express rang my bell, and low and behold it
> was the laptop, that I was not expecting for another three weeks.
> Gateway did not sign for the laptop till yesterday (wednesday ).
> So I expected to see some bogus note in their, saying how the
> repair was my fault and they werent going to honor it. I actually, got out a
> distant cousin of mine, whos a lawyer phone number out first, before I even
> opened the box.
> but I opened the box, and my laptop, was there, and it seems to be
> repaired, with nothing touched, on the hard drive. (The screen backlighting
> was not working)
> The only note that came with the computer, is that any parts that
> were used or the repair itself, would have an 90 day guarantee on it(I guess
> they are assuming, if it goes past the one year gateway gurarantee. )
> I wish they would tell you what they did to the machine, so I would
> know in the future.
> anyway, happy that gateway got the computer back to me in actually
> the next day after they received it.
>
> Much regards Jerry

Jerry,

Wow, that's wonderful! I sent my GW laptop in for the same repair (backlight)
about 3 years ago. It went to their repair center in Irving, TX. Like you,
they fixed it the day the received it, and it was delivered back to me via Fedex
the very next day. While this kind of service is unusual today, I'm glad you
got the same TLC. By the way, I called GW tech support after I got the laptop
back, and they read me the notes of the technician who repaired it. So, you might
try calling them for more details on your fix.

Scott

Yes, their laptop repair turn-around time really is extraordinary. I've sent
mine in twice. I did the same thing as Scott, called tech support after I
got the machine back for a run down on exactly what they did.

Did you say when you got it back, there was still a problem with
backlighting. Did I understand that incorrectly? If not, what's with that?

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

"j.lef" <j.lef@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Well, I posted a little while ago, about the debacle, on trying to
> return my laptop to gateway, and trying for weeks to get a box from them
> return the laptop for warranty service on a three month old unit. (they
said
> they wouldnt accept for warranty any computer that was not sent in their
> box, from dhl. )
> Well I finally after hours more phone calls, got a box on
> friday(only about three to four weeks, after requesting. ) They sent it
out
> on thurday, dhl, overnight. (finally someone did the right thing. )
> I called dhl, and arranged for pickup on this monday. Dhl came in
> the afternoon and picked it up.
> Today, thursday, fed express rang my bell, and low and behold
it
> was the laptop, that I was not expecting for another three weeks.
> Gateway did not sign for the laptop till yesterday (wednesday ).
> So I expected to see some bogus note in their, saying how the
> repair was my fault and they werent going to honor it. I actually, got out
> distant cousin of mine, whos a lawyer phone number out first, before I
even
> opened the box.
> but I opened the box, and my laptop, was there, and it seems to be
> repaired, with nothing touched, on the hard drive. (The screen
backlighting
> was not working)
> The only note that came with the computer, is that any parts that
> were used or the repair itself, would have an 90 day guarantee on it(I
guess
> they are assuming, if it goes past the one year gateway gurarantee. )
> I wish they would tell you what they did to the machine, so I
would
> know in the future.
> anyway, happy that gateway got the computer back to me in actually
> the next day after they received it.
>
> Much regards Jerry

> Did you say when you got it back, there was still a problem with
> backlighting. Did I understand that incorrectly? If not, what's with that?
>

> --
> No, no problem so far. I guess it was just a loose or damaged
> bulb, and it only takes a short time to fix. I went to trace, to see if
> any files were looked at the best I can, and it looks like they didnt mess
> with anything, except the physical problem. I guess they turned on to the
> flash screen before repair, saw no backlight, fixed, and then tried flash
> screen again.
I sent them note with machine, telling them if for some reason
they were going to send me new machine, can they just please swap hard
drives, but I go the same machine back(I made an inconspicuous mark on
machine).
By the way, how hard is it to change the backlight bulb
yourself? I have found with gateway, where there is an early problem, is
usually repeats itself(as with a lot of different products).
If you ever go to a retail store, and say look at stereo
receivers, or something like it, where a lot of customers touch the
merchandise, take note on what is broken or missing on the floor unit,
because that is usually an indication, on what is weak on the product, and
your item, will eventually usually have the same problem in the future.

Much regards Jerry

> Yes, their laptop repair turn-around time really is extraordinary. I've
> sent
> mine in twice. I did the same thing as Scott, called tech support after I
> got the machine back for a run down on exactly what they did.

Tried to take your advice and called up tech support, and
see if there were tech notes. I got connected in 26 seconds(the announce
that when picking up the phone), and I got a lovely gal on the phone, a
credit to gateway.
She said there were no tech notes, other then the problem
that customer , said the bulb was burnt out, and unit was serviced and sent
out from what she called the "warehouse".
I engaged her in some conversation, and she was lovely to
speak to, and no rush job.

For anyone out there who knows, when this laptop is out of warranty,
and if I have the situtaion of the bulb burning out again, is this a job,
for a technician, or can this be done by myself. I can build and problem
solve desktops, but no experence with laptops. Is this a common problem
with the backlight bulbs going bad? What kind of bulb is used? Are they
flourescents? Are they integrated with the lcd?

Much regards to all, Jerry

Oh, I see, the backlight was the problem they fixed. As far doing it
yourself, it doesn't seem very hard. Here is a Web site with photos that
shows how to do it on a Toshiba.