I have a cable modem and Windows XP Home Edition. Continually (every 10-15
minutes) I get an error message: "WMI has encountered a problem and needs to
close." Most of the time, this is just an irritant; I close the error window
and keep going. But every so often the error will kick me out of my browser.

The error signature is as follows:
szAppname:wmiprvse.exe SzAppVer:5.1.2600.2180
szModName:kernel32.dll szModVer5.12600.2180 offset 0004b0df

I have a vague understanding of what WMI does, but I have no clue why this
error box keeps popping up and how to make it stop. Please help.

Thank you.

Open Command prompt and type in the following command:-
winmgmt /? press Enter key.This will help you to see all parameters for
WinMgmt.exe

Start>Run>cmd>Enter and
run the following commands:-[hit the Enter key after each command]
winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

geneandjack wrote:

> I have a cable modem and Windows XP Home Edition. Continually (every 10-15
> minutes) I get an error message: "WMI has encountered a problem and needs to
> close." Most of the time, this is just an irritant; I close the error window
> and keep going. But every so often the error will kick me out of my browser.
>
> The error signature is as follows:
> szAppname:wmiprvse.exe SzAppVer:5.1.2600.2180
> szModName:kernel32.dll szModVer5.12600.2180 offset 0004b0df
>
> I have a vague understanding of what WMI does, but I have no clue why this
> error box keeps popping up and how to make it stop. Please help.
>
> Thank you.

Thanks very much. I'll give it a shot.

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Open Command prompt and type in the following command:-
> winmgmt /? press Enter key.This will help you to see all parameters for
> WinMgmt.exe
>
> Start>Run>cmd>Enter and
> run the following commands:-[hit the Enter key after each command]
> winmgmt /clearadap
> winmgmt /kill
> winmgmt /unregserver
> winmgmt /regserver
> winmgmt /resyncperf
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> geneandjack wrote:
>
> > I have a cable modem and Windows XP Home Edition. Continually (every 10-15
> > minutes) I get an error message: "WMI has encountered a problem and needs to
> > close." Most of the time, this is just an irritant; I close the error window
> > and keep going. But every so often the error will kick me out of my browser.
> >
> > The error signature is as follows:
> > szAppname:wmiprvse.exe SzAppVer:5.1.2600.2180
> > szModName:kernel32.dll szModVer5.12600.2180 offset 0004b0df
> >
> > I have a vague understanding of what WMI does, but I have no clue why this
> > error box keeps popping up and how to make it stop. Please help.
> >
> > Thank you.

Didn't work. Any other ideas?

Thanks.