Sign in with
Your question

Very specific LCD monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 8, 2009 11:15:11 PM

Hi, I'm sorry to be bothering any of you, I usually find stuff by myself, but I've just hit the bottom, I think...

So, here's my question:

Is there an LCD monitor, that would do:

- 1024x768;
- 120 hz ( anything higher than 85 hz, this is THE MAIN priority for me :(  );
- would NOT be a widescreen;
- size... 19' to 22' is good, 19 probably even better;

at the same time ?

Thank you for your time, I just feel hopeless while googling monitors :/ 

More about : specific lcd monitor

August 9, 2009 12:07:20 AM

May I ask why you need thos specifically?
August 9, 2009 12:53:33 PM

Yes, of course.

It's mostly for games, Call of duty series, as 72 hz @ 1024x768, it's just...Impossible to enjoy. Lines going down the screen, impossible to play.
And I really don't like widescreens, not very huge monitors. Something small, and powerfull, that's what I'd love to have.

The thing is - they probably don't make such stuff anymore...I used to have a BenQ ( kept it since 2002 ), until it recently died on me, and it was really great, it wasn't a widescreen, could supporst 75hz @ any resolution...Yeah...Sigh.

Related resources
August 9, 2009 4:15:14 PM

Lines going down the screen sounds like tearing if I am understanding correctly.

V-sync should solve that no?

Also a high refrsh rate is not going to necessarily help with a lcd monitor even if you had a monitor with the response time necessary to handle it.

Unfortunately, the only screens i have seen with that sort of native res would be very old, very very poor quality 15-17" screens. Not sure if anything like you are after exists, perhaps 12 x 10 but not sure.
August 9, 2009 4:46:54 PM

Thanks for your reply.

V-sync doesn't help, mouse movements become all numb and stuff, really cannot solve it that way.

I am positive high refresh rate could solve it, because it has in the past :(  , and I really don't want to go with a CRT here...
The only thing that could help, is probably some new series of LDC monitors with a very high refresh rate :( 
a c 195 C Monitor
August 10, 2009 4:12:28 AM

Show us a picture of "lines down the screen".

I can be caused by:

1. Corrupted video drivers.
2. Dying VRAM.
3. Dying monitor.

What monitor are you using?
August 10, 2009 6:26:49 AM

I meant the "tearing" effect, or is it called the "ghosting" ?

My monitor is Samsung Syncmaster 933SN, a cheap choice, I know...

What I've done today, is, I've tried "overclocking" it, and I think i got it to do what i want.
Whenever I would turn on any game and put on resolution of 1024x768, the monitor would show 72 hz. That is what it does by default, as standard. What I've done, is, I've overclocked the 72 hz to 75 hz using RefreshForce program or smthing like that. I know it may shorten the life of this monitor, but I don't care, as it's cheap...

The new question stands... Can I try to overclock it to 80 hz or 85 hz ? That would be bollocks :o 
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2009 8:08:59 AM

I'd be surprised if you actually managed to "overclock" it at all. You might be able to force the video card to send a higher number of frames to it every second, but it probably won't display any more than its maximum number anyways, despite the higher setting.
August 10, 2009 2:23:44 PM

why 1024*768?

1280*1024 is a great choice, I have a 19 inch with that res and it is sweet when it wasn't broken. (if your card can handle it)

August 10, 2009 8:41:59 PM

1024x768 = because it's best for multiplayer gaming, I've got everything configured to that resolution - grenades, mouse sensitivity, hand habits etc... It's just the best.

The question stands - should I try 85 hz ? or 80 hz ? Is it safe ? :o 
August 11, 2009 11:31:22 AM

Nobody knows ?

Aye, thanks for your answers. :hello: 
August 11, 2009 11:33:05 AM

I don't as i don't know if it is possible to actually increase a monitors performance over and above it's spec.

!