Dell XP OS software

I have four dell computer's running XP home edition software. I
need to know if I can reload the Dim4600 OS (XP missing) with a disk from a
Dim 4500(bad motherboard) XP disk.
So far I have read, yes, no, possible. Looking for a link to
information about Dell OS.

"SAMUEL LA RUE" <SamLaRue@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

> I have four dell computer's running XP home edition software.
> need to know if I can reload the Dim4600 OS (XP missing) with a disk
> from a Dim 4500(bad motherboard) XP disk.
> So far I have read, yes, no, possible. Looking for a link to
> information about Dell OS.

Yes, you can, definitely.

I've got stacks of Dell XP CDs that came with Latitudes, Optiplexes,
Dimensions. Within a given service pack, they're all absolutely identical
with the same dell part number.

- FM -

"SAMUEL LA RUE" <SamLaRue@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I have four dell computer's running XP home edition software. I
> need to know if I can reload the Dim4600 OS (XP missing) with a disk from
> Dim 4500(bad motherboard) XP disk.
> So far I have read, yes, no, possible. Looking for a link to
> information about Dell OS.

Find the WindowsXP COA/License key on the chassis on the 4600. This label
will also have your product key for the machine.

Use the appropriate Dell CD to install either XP Home or Pro on the 4600
(whichever the COA label indicates on the system) and you're ready to go.
And you're legal.

Stew

"SAMUEL LA RUE" <SamLaRue@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| I have four dell computer's running XP home edition software. I
| need to know if I can reload the Dim4600 OS (XP missing) with a disk from a
| Dim 4500(bad motherboard) XP disk.

If it is a XP install CD you are glad in luck. I have a latitude with XP and
installed it on the old Dimension. But XP will only install on Dell machines.
Drawback: you need to get hold of a serialnumber..

"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message

> "SAMUEL LA RUE" <SamLaRue@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> | I have four dell computer's running XP home edition software. I
> | need to know if I can reload the Dim4600 OS (XP missing) with a disk
> from a
> | Dim 4500(bad motherboard) XP disk.
>
> If it is a XP install CD you are glad in luck. I have a latitude with XP
> and
> installed it on the old Dimension. But XP will only install on Dell
> machines.
> Drawback: you need to get hold of a serialnumber..

OK, no offense, but this is incorrect.

The 4500 XP disk will install fine on the 4600. It will not ask for any
numbers at all, as Dell's XP is 'bios locked'. It would install on a
non-Dell machine, but in that situation it would require the COA from the
other machine.

As your 4600 came with a legal copy of Home, this is also within the license
agreement.

Tom

Kevin Rengo wrote:

> "SAMUEL LA RUE" <SamLaRue@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> | I have four dell computer's running XP home edition software. I
> | need to know if I can reload the Dim4600 OS (XP missing) with a disk from a
> | Dim 4500(bad motherboard) XP disk.
>
> If it is a XP install CD you are glad in luck. I have a latitude with XP and
> installed it on the old Dimension. But XP will only install on Dell machines.

Not so, but product activation won't be automatic on a non Dell. (been
there, done that & used the COA which came with my Thinkpad)

Fred Mau wrote:

> Yes, you can, definitely.
>
> I've got stacks of Dell XP CDs that came with Latitudes, Optiplexes,
> Dimensions. Within a given service pack, they're all absolutely identical
> with the same dell part number.

Yup. Just used a brand new XP SP2 CD from my new Inspiron to format a
Dimension 4550. Worked like a charm.

Bob

"Bob Levine" <leave.me@lone.net> wrote in message
> Fred Mau wrote:
>

>> Yes, you can, definitely.
>>
>> I've got stacks of Dell XP CDs that came with Latitudes, Optiplexes,
>> Dimensions. Within a given service pack, they're all absolutely
>> identical with the same dell part number.
>
> Yup. Just used a brand new XP SP2 CD from my new Inspiron to format a
> Dimension 4550. Worked like a charm.
>
> Bob

Bob,

I assume you purchased the 4550 with XP? I know it was available as a free
upgrade to Windows 2000 when I bought mine. Of course, that would be the
only way your installation would be legal.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I assume you purchased the 4550 with XP? I know it was available as a free
> upgrade to Windows 2000 when I bought mine. Of course, that would be the
> only way your installation would be legal.

I'm a big proponent of staying legal. Yes, the 4550 shipped with XP but
only SP1. I didn't see the point in not taking advantage of the fact
that I had an SP2 CD.

Bob

Thank you all for the for the help, and information.