Sign in with
Your question

OLED Coming soon? Stick with LCD?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 9, 2009 5:49:16 PM

Once the new cpu's and gpu's come out this fall I'll be building a new rig. My monitor is a 19" CRT and I'm wondering if I should replace it.

Last week I went to a pc store to scope out some monitors and found the one I was going to get from newegg.ca; the asus 22" lcd monitor. The quality sucked! Holy *** man everything was jagged the quality was very very very bad. I went back home and started researching monitors and found out there is a new type called OLED. Does anyone have any more info on this such as release dates?

More about : oled coming stick lcd

August 9, 2009 7:06:10 PM

Hi, are you sure the monitor was being run at it's native res and was using a dvi connection, did you ask a store guy if you perhaps play about with it at all?
m
l
August 9, 2009 7:06:53 PM

What's a dvi connection?
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2009 9:05:25 PM

It is a digital visual interface, looks rectangular and is what most modern graphics cards come with, cables usually have white connectors instead of the blue vga.
m
l
August 9, 2009 10:31:08 PM

So you're saying if the lcd asus 22" was using dvi the visuals would be closer to the quality of my current crt?
m
l
August 9, 2009 10:58:51 PM

No, I am just saying it is a possible explanation for why it looked jagged.

An LCD setup to use it's native res will not look jagged, however some monitors using an analog signal that has not been adjusted properly can also look off.

m
l
August 9, 2009 11:49:30 PM

It could be that, I'll have to double check next time I'm near the store. Thanks!
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
August 10, 2009 4:08:44 AM

OLED => Wait about 5 more years for the new tech (which still has some issues) to hit the retail market at reasonable price. Note, reasonable prices, not low prices.
m
l
!