Installing Windows XP on SATA hard drive

WildThing

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Ok, I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250 gig SATA 150 hard drive (16mb cache), and I want to put win xp on it, so I can use my current 80 gig IDE drive for other things, mostly as a backup. The problem is I am having no luck whatsoever in getting my SATA drive to be recognised during the win xp setup. I have looked all over to try and find out how to install windows on a SATA drive, and while I have learned much from this, It still doesn't seem to work with me. When in windows, I can see the 250 gig in my computer, I can format it and put data on to it, it works fine, so I dont think there's anything wrong with the hard drive. However, when I boot from the win xp cd, and put in the SATA driver disk that came with my motherboard, and press f6 and do all that, it still only comes up with the partitions on the 80 gig IDE. Is there any way to get my SATA drive to come up on the list of partitions to install win xp on? I really am at my wits end with it all. I have 2 SATA slots on my mobo and have tried them both, I just don't know what to do now. Maybe there is some BIOS setting I have missed? I really don't know.
The following links have been of some use to me, but have not enabled me to acomplish what I want:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jkey/archive/2005/08/28/423901.aspx

http://www.hothardware.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=22321&enterthread=y

I would really appreciate any help, thank-you.

Gainward Golden Sample 6800 GT GLH edition
AMD Athlon 64 3400 2.2 GHz
2x512 DDR400 RAM Kingston CL2.5
Abit KV8 SKT 754 VIA K8T800/8237 chipset
Win XP

pat

Expert
Enable SATA boot ROM in BIOS? And unplug the 80 gigs while installing. You can plug it back after the install

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're having trouble loading the driver...since I haven't messed with VIA SATA, I'll let someone else figure out why, but at least that's a start...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

WildThing

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Ok nevermind, I finally got it to work. Turns out I was using the wrong drivers all along. It took me a while to find it but there was one on the mobo cd that worked. Annoying that the driver was here all along, but at least all is well. Thanks for you help. :)

Gainward Golden Sample 6800 GT GLH edition
AMD Athlon 64 3400 2.2 GHz
2x512 DDR400 RAM Kingston CL2.5
Abit KV8 SKT 754 VIA K8T800/8237 chipset
Win XP

azharalibuttar

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Please have a look at the under given URL. I hope it will help you to solve your problem;

http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/06/install-windows-xp-on-sata-without-sata-driver/

Azhar Ali

vatanak

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi, there i have just read this posting.

I know this is like six months ago. I am kind of running the same issue.

could you please help me know how you can get the driver on SATA hard disk?

you mean put the driver on external window setting source or what?

does that make sense?

sorry , i am not a native English speaker