slow Dell Dim 2400

Hello,
I have a new Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home with 256MB of RAM.
It runs painfully slow and am looking for some advice on what the
problem may be. First, I know that 256MB is light. But how can I
determine if that is the problem. What do I want to look at in PM or
Performance in Task Manager to verify that is the bottleneck?
TM shows 77MB of free physical memory, so I question if it is the ram.
I defrag and scan for viruses regularly (Norton internet security).
Use adaware and spybot search and destroy for spyware. I disabled the
'teatimer' in spyware, thinking it may be the problem...no effect. I
disabled the Norton and Windows firewalls....no effect.
Thanks for any help!

There are many things to consider when complaining about system "speed".
How many applications are running at start up? What processor is in the
machine? Coupled with what mainboard bus speed? What is the rotational
speed (RPM) of the hard drive? Is the memory matched with the mainboard
properly?

Is the system free of malware? Are you running two software firewalls
(Norton and Windows) at the same time? You mention Norton products. Norton
Internet Security is an incredible resource hog. You will find many posts
complaining about this fact. I would never consider using Norton on any of
my systems and I discourage its' use by my clients.

Your admission that 256 MB of RAM is light is spot on the money. I would
bump that up to a minimum of 512 MB.

"Japhy" <japhyrider2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a new Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home with 256MB of RAM.
> It runs painfully slow and am looking for some advice on what the
> problem may be. First, I know that 256MB is light. But how can I
> determine if that is the problem. What do I want to look at in PM or
> Performance in Task Manager to verify that is the bottleneck?
> TM shows 77MB of free physical memory, so I question if it is the ram.
> I defrag and scan for viruses regularly (Norton internet security).
> Use adaware and spybot search and destroy for spyware. I disabled the
> 'teatimer' in spyware, thinking it may be the problem...no effect. I
> disabled the Norton and Windows firewalls....no effect.
> Thanks for any help!

Get more ram.Your ram is too light to your system.Update more ram will
be effective.If you don't want to update more ram,try to forbiddren
some softwares startup when your system start.Goto the startup place in
regedit to delete the startup programs of the softwares what you don't
need when your system start.
I think Security Expert can help you.The function of AutoRun can list
the softwares that automatically run when you start your computer and
load windows.And you can choose and the startup programs of the
softwares that you don't need when you start your computer.It may boost
up computer speed by this way.
Go to http://securityexpert.cnns.net/AutoRun04.htm to know more.

Even with 77MB of free physical memory showing, 256MB really is light. Do the
memory upgrade and see what happens. My guess is that the system will become
faster.

What other background services are running? What programs are launched at
startup? Hijackthis is a useful tool to see this sort of info... Ben Myers

On 15 Sep 2005 20:03:40 -0700, "Japhy" <japhyrider2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I have a new Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home with 256MB of RAM.
>It runs painfully slow and am looking for some advice on what the
>problem may be. First, I know that 256MB is light. But how can I
>determine if that is the problem. What do I want to look at in PM or
>Performance in Task Manager to verify that is the bottleneck?
>TM shows 77MB of free physical memory, so I question if it is the ram.
>I defrag and scan for viruses regularly (Norton internet security).
>Use adaware and spybot search and destroy for spyware. I disabled the
>'teatimer' in spyware, thinking it may be the problem...no effect. I
>disabled the Norton and Windows firewalls....no effect.
>Thanks for any help!

get a 256mb or larger stick of generic pc2100 or pc2800 and stick it in
there. windows xp does not run well with only 256mb and considering this
system uses regular memory for the integrated video means that you actually
have less than 256mb to run windows. all the majors sell their low priced
machines with just 256mb and it really is a disservice to those that don't
know better...

"Japhy" <japhyrider2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a new Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home with 256MB of RAM.
> It runs painfully slow and am looking for some advice on what the
> problem may be. First, I know that 256MB is light. But how can I
> determine if that is the problem. What do I want to look at in PM or
> Performance in Task Manager to verify that is the bottleneck?
> TM shows 77MB of free physical memory, so I question if it is the ram.
> I defrag and scan for viruses regularly (Norton internet security).
> Use adaware and spybot search and destroy for spyware. I disabled the
> 'teatimer' in spyware, thinking it may be the problem...no effect. I
> disabled the Norton and Windows firewalls....no effect.
> Thanks for any help!

oops... make that pc2700 or pc3200