First Computer?

Rak

Need opinions on Dell Dimensions 2400.
I would need it for a small home based business, that I'm planning. Not
interested in video games.
Does anyone know the specs. on the $299!
What upgrades would any of you recommend if the price was reasonable,
and available for this 2400 Model?
Very limited budget. However, I'm going to have to have a entry level
computer to do the things that I cannot do on LLB.
What Dell printer would you upgrade to for better business printing,
labels, letters, etc. Where do you buy ink?
Any and all opinions, or info, will be much appreciated.
Best regards,
Roy

RAK wrote:

> Need opinions on Dell Dimensions 2400.
> I would need it for a small home based business, that I'm planning. Not
> interested in video games.
> Does anyone know the specs. on the $299!
> What upgrades would any of you recommend if the price was reasonable,
> and available for this 2400 Model?
> Very limited budget. However, I'm going to have to have a entry level
> computer to do the things that I cannot do on LLB.
> What Dell printer would you upgrade to for better business printing,
> labels, letters, etc. Where do you buy ink?
> Any and all opinions, or info, will be much appreciated.
> Best regards,
> Roy

Here's my $0.02:

Make sure to have 512 megs of RAM and decent monitor. You'll need the
RAM and your eyes will thank you for the monitor.

By the time you're done and find out that the 2400 doesn't usually come
with free shipping, you might want to check out the 4700 on the small
business site.

As for printers, just get a cheap b/w laser printer. Shop around...you
don't have to go for a Dell. Don't buy an ink jet. While they may seem
cheaper initially, the ink and paper will kill you.

Bob

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

From memory, I don't think 2400's and 3000's have AGP slots. They
only have two dimm slots (versus the 4600 & 4700's four). Since Dell
doesn't have 4xxx systems available anymore, the next-best thing for
upgradability options are the 5100's.

The PCI slots are also limited in the 2400 & 3000 (three I think), and
from what I can remember I don't think there's onboard SATA
capabilities.

By the way, what's an LLB? Too many TLA's out there...

Dan

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:17:02 GMT, Dan <jasdfosd@asjedfoi.com> wrote:

> Since Dell
>doesn't have 4xxx systems available anymore, the next-best thing for
>upgradability options are the 5100's.
They do in the small business division. I just received my 4700 yesterday.

I'd echo the other recommendations to get 512MB.

Earlier this summer, I bought two Dimension 3000's with 512MB, 80GB
disk, one with CD burner, and one with CD/DVD burner, and both with 1
year warranty upgrade, for about $350 each including shipping from the
Dell Home Outlet store. One came with MS Works Suite.

This price was better than anything I could configure as new (but not
incredibly better), primarily due to shipping and memory costs being
higher for new machines

I bought them about two weeks apart, and watched the Outlet for good
shipping deals and the right configurations. They had to have floppy
drives, which were relatively rare.

They are indistinguishable from new and work just fine.