Closed

System Volume Information - what happens if I delete it

August 2, 2005 2:01:01 AM

I am trying to upgrade to a larger disk, and am attempting to to do this
using Ghost (v7.5 or v8). The problem is that ghost is detecting read sector
errors on some files in the restore tree under System Volume Information.
CheckDisk does not detect any problems. I just want to delete this tree to
get arround this problem. Are there any consequences to this?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:39:04 AM

You should open "my computer",R.click C: drive,properties,tools,run,Attempt
to fix bad sectors.Chkdisk doesnt do this unless its run as:CHKDSK C: /R

"DaleP" wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade to a larger disk, and am attempting to to do this
> using Ghost (v7.5 or v8). The problem is that ghost is detecting read sector
> errors on some files in the restore tree under System Volume Information.
> CheckDisk does not detect any problems. I just want to delete this tree to
> get arround this problem. Are there any consequences to this?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:21:12 AM

Hi Dale,

The bad sector would be on the drive, not the file.

You could try disabling System Restore which will purge the contents of the SVI folder and
retry the image.
How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

DaleP wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade to a larger disk, and am
> attempting to to do this using Ghost (v7.5 or v8). The
> problem is that ghost is detecting read sector errors on
> some files in the restore tree under System Volume
> Information. CheckDisk does not detect any problems. I
> just want to delete this tree to get arround this
> problem. Are there any consequences to this?
August 2, 2005 1:09:07 PM

I ran the scandisk program with "Scan and attempt to fix bad sectors"
selected. It didn't seem to help.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> You should open "my computer",R.click C: drive,properties,tools,run,Attempt
> to fix bad sectors.Chkdisk doesnt do this unless its run as:CHKDSK C: /R
>
> "DaleP" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to upgrade to a larger disk, and am attempting to to do this
> > using Ghost (v7.5 or v8). The problem is that ghost is detecting read sector
> > errors on some files in the restore tree under System Volume Information.
> > CheckDisk does not detect any problems. I just want to delete this tree to
> > get arround this problem. Are there any consequences to this?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:16:10 PM

Why not turn OFF System Restore instead!

DaleP wrote:

> I ran the scandisk program with "Scan and attempt to fix bad sectors"
> selected. It didn't seem to help.
>
> "Andrew E." wrote:
>

>> You should open "my computer",R.click C: drive,properties,tools,run,Attempt
>> to fix bad sectors.Chkdisk doesnt do this unless its run as:CHKDSK C: /R
>>
>>"DaleP" wrote:
>>

>>>I am trying to upgrade to a larger disk, and am attempting to to do this
>>>using Ghost (v7.5 or v8). The problem is that ghost is detecting read sector
>>>errors on some files in the restore tree under System Volume Information.
>>>CheckDisk does not detect any problems. I just want to delete this tree to
>>>get arround this problem. Are there any consequences to this?
March 4, 2009 2:23:44 PM

what will happen if i delete the infected file detected while scanning avg ie /System Volume Information/restore will it affect my drive or the whole system.
March 4, 2009 6:50:59 PM

Quote:
what will happen if i delete the infected file detected while scanning avg ie /System Volume Information/restore will it affect my drive or the whole system.

Go to the system restore tab and disable system restore. Reboot and then reenable it. This will delete the old restore points that are infected.
Anonymous
September 17, 2010 6:56:05 PM

hi everyone..
system volume information is often unaccesible..
and takes much space.. did you know that any program that you install it is automaticaly add files at the system volume information?? (this calls system restore point)
i have searched a little bit but i didn't find any program that compleatly erase all the data inside the "s.v.i"
a have created a batch file (.bat) and that inside of it...
del /s /Q "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{92ADFA0C-448C-439A-B0D8-D2456DFA5E0A}\
rmdir "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{92ADFA0C-448C-439A-B0D8-D2456DFA5E0A}\

and this is the results

there is a little problem....
we all have the system volume information folder..but we do not have the same subfolders the same...
so you must see whats the name of your subfolder inside the system volume information....and just replace it with mine.....
i mean this (
del /s /Q "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{92ADFA0C-448C-439A-B0D8-D2456DFA5E0A}\
rmdir "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{92ADFA0C-448C-439A-B0D8-D2456DFA5E0A} )
this is the command that eraces the data....
but if you cant find the name of your subfolder there is a defraggment program that has a extra use... "Pirifrom Defraggler" (its freeware)
with this you can see a-n-y-t-h-i-n-k.....
including the "mft" folder with some other folder that no program can see...

but to do find the name...may be a very little difficult.....
you open the program ... you do a analyze (the third box) with the these options --ν
at the first box type 0
at the second type 9999999999999 (what ever you want) (but must be very high...
than tick at the end box ...
not the one before the last
ok
then click on (search) (ΑΝΑΖΗΤΗΣΗ) {-->FOR THE GREEK ONES....}
OΚ when the results "came out"
you must "order" them by their address at the hard disk...
when you have done that just do a right click at the space (inside the search box and click on the save ...blah blah
then save it at the place you want... (eg c:\ )
then open the text... and you will see a full detailed history of your files (just roll down the page and when you see the system volume information
just see the name of the subfolder)
and you are down
and sorry if i wrote too much but i didnt know how to give you this to understand.....
hope i helped
if you have any questions please post them..... :hello:
Anonymous
September 18, 2010 12:08:13 PM

please read this for easily and successfully removing the data inside system volume information

Hi am BASILHS
i found a much easier way to erase the data inside system volume information in 30 seconds

just go to "run" at type cmd
then write this------ν

del /s /q "C:\System Volume Information\*.*

if you see these are commands
del = means delete
/s = means to delete all the files in all the subfolders of the folder
(at this case the folder system volume information)
/q = means to delete the files without asking you..
i dont recommend you to turn system volume information off because i did this a year ago and then my computer couldn't boot up and i forced to do format my disk
just do this once a day or once at two days... or once a week...
i am personaly do this once an hour because i am a super-computer-freak... xaxaxa lol :lol:  :lol:
September 19, 2010 1:18:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!