hard drive

i have just built a new pc around an existing hard drive (for a cost conscience relative) i attacched said hard drive to my home pc to format it but to no avail so i deleted all when i replaced the drive to the new pc all i get is the c prompt so i am unable to install new op sys can anyone help
regards
3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive
  1. What os are you trying to install.
    Win xp discs are bootable. If your installing Win.ME you need to make a 3 1/2" bootable floppy. Although some Win ME discs are bootable.
  2. the hard drive had win 98 i had to delete this manually but i dont think all is gone because when i start the pc the pc tries to find win 98 so it offers me to start in safe mode or dos i am trying to install win 2000 pro
    thanks
  3. Go into BIOS and set it to boot from the CD first. You should get a command prompt that says "press any key to boot from CD", and if you don't, it will take you back to the C: prompt again.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Format Storage