Dimension 8300 TEAC / MyDVD write errors

I've had my new Dimension 8300 for a few weeks and have had nothing but
trouble with burning DVDs.

System: Windows XP Home
DVD+R drive: TEAC DV-W58E
Program: Sonic MyDVD 5.0
Media: DVD+R disks

Sometimes the program will lock up while "transcoding".
Sometimes I get a "DVD write error".

Anyone else having problems burning DVDs with similar systems?
5 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8300 teac mydvd write errors

    Have you tried a different brand of blanks? I've found the media to almost
    always be the problem.

    Tom
    "Paul E." <paulench@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've had my new Dimension 8300 for a few weeks and have had nothing but
    > trouble with burning DVDs.
    >
    > System: Windows XP Home
    > DVD+R drive: TEAC DV-W58E
    > Program: Sonic MyDVD 5.0
    > Media: DVD+R disks
    >
    > Sometimes the program will lock up while "transcoding".
    > Sometimes I get a "DVD write error".
    >
    > Anyone else having problems burning DVDs with similar systems?

    Have you checked to see if Dell has a firmware update for your DVD
    burner. My NEC DVD+RW 1100A drive refused some disks, but Dell had a
    firmware update for just that problem. I have 8300 with 1 gig of
    memory, but I find when burning a DVD, I still reboot the computer, also
    making sure you have enough disk space for the program to make the
    temporary imagefile.iso. I use Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 and have no
    problems.

    Joan

    Paul E. wrote:

    > I've had my new Dimension 8300 for a few weeks and have had nothing but
    > trouble with burning DVDs.
    >
    > System: Windows XP Home
    > DVD+R drive: TEAC DV-W58E
    > Program: Sonic MyDVD 5.0
    > Media: DVD+R disks
    >
    > Sometimes the program will lock up while "transcoding".
    > Sometimes I get a "DVD write error".
    >
    > Anyone else having problems burning DVDs with similar systems?

    Thanks Tom - I'll try different brand of disks - These are Philips from
    Office Depot.

    > Have you tried a different brand of blanks? I've found the media to
    almost
    > always be the problem.
    >
    > Tom

    It seems that Dell only started shipping this TEAC drive - it's quite new.
    The TEAC support page says there are no updates at this time, and of course
    Dell doesn't have any either.

    It might just be the brand of DVD blanks I'm using.

    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > Have you checked to see if Dell has a firmware update for your DVD
    > burner. My NEC DVD+RW 1100A drive refused some disks, but Dell had a
    > firmware update for just that problem. I have 8300 with 1 gig of
    > memory, but I find when burning a DVD, I still reboot the computer, also
    > making sure you have enough disk space for the program to make the
    > temporary imagefile.iso. I use Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 and have no
    > problems.
    >
    > Joan

    My 8300 came witht he TEAC. I have only burned a few DVD & DVD/RW's
    (Data only) and a couple of CD-R's No problem. I have been using
    Memorex media for years and in general have had no problems, including
    Memorex 4x DVD+R & DVD+RW.

    Mike

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:41:02 GMT, "Paul E." <paulench@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >It seems that Dell only started shipping this TEAC drive - it's quite new.
    >The TEAC support page says there are no updates at this time, and of course
    >Dell doesn't have any either.
    >
    >It might just be the brand of DVD blanks I'm using.
    >

    >"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >> Have you checked to see if Dell has a firmware update for your DVD
    >> burner. My NEC DVD+RW 1100A drive refused some disks, but Dell had a
    >> firmware update for just that problem. I have 8300 with 1 gig of
    >> memory, but I find when burning a DVD, I still reboot the computer, also
    >> making sure you have enough disk space for the program to make the
    >> temporary imagefile.iso. I use Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 and have no
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Joan

Dell TEAC Burner Dimension Computers