Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 and Nvidia Driver

Last response: in Windows 7
March 26, 2010 8:56:29 AM

I just bought a 9800GT and clean reinstall of Windows 7 and the problem is that the drivers don't detect any lower resolutions below 800x600 and doesn't detect that my CRT old monitor supports a refresh rate of 120.

I usually play video games at 800x600 @ 100hz refresh rate making it very smooth, but now I'm forced to use 85hz with the largest capable resolution being 1070 by XXXXX, can't remember :p .

I've updated windows, installed the latest drivers (197.13), reinstalled the drivers and tried creating a custom resolution via Nvidia drivers and other software without success. Another problem is that saturation and hue aren't working. I'm quite frustrated by this playing in black and white and laggy gameplay, I desperately need some help :( 

Thanks in advance to who ever posts on this thread :) 

Update: I just relised that the driver version 197.13 I'm using was released yesterday and is WHQL and from what I've read is still currently being tested? And may include some bugs. I rolled back to 196.34 and the same result except saturation and hue work! I'm not certain if the uninstall of the newer driver was completely successful.

More about : windows nvidia driver

March 26, 2010 10:13:52 AM

You are going about this wrong... You need to find a driver for your monitor, not the GPU.
March 26, 2010 10:17:56 AM

ronaldwishart said:
You are going about this wrong... You need to find a driver for your monitor, not the GPU.

Ok thats a start! Thanks my monitor is an acer AC711, I'm on the search.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2010 10:20:21 AM

I'd also recommend a new monitor... You don't need a 9800GT if you're going to game at 800x600!
March 26, 2010 10:24:46 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I'd also recommend a new monitor... You don't need a 9800GT if you're going to game at 800x600!

I only play games for the competitive aspects of gaming even if that sounds stupid. I choose my CRT for gaming over my LCD just because of the higher refresh rate and low resolutions. It's to choppy and blurry on my 20 inch lcd :p 
I hope you understand
March 26, 2010 10:28:38 AM

All the drivers I can find for my monitor are a .inf files. Do you place them in windows?
March 26, 2010 10:34:14 AM

Help :( 
March 26, 2010 11:57:44 AM

try this!

right click the desktop and click "screen Res", then click the blue link "advanced Settings"

under the Monitor tab, hit properties... then under the "driver tab" click "update driver"

then use the "browse my Computer......" option, and then find your inf file...

Thats it!

but you will need a vista driver or win7 driver(inf)

Hope you come right PAL!

R
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2010 12:30:22 PM

thourzx said:
I only play games for the competitive aspects of gaming even if that sounds stupid. I choose my CRT for gaming over my LCD just because of the higher refresh rate and low resolutions. It's to choppy and blurry on my 20 inch lcd :p 
I hope you understand

I'm not sure I do. Ever since I switched to LCD (I also have a 20 inch) I haven't been able to look at a CRT without my eyes watering. Besides, with a powerful GPU you should get the same frame rates at high res that you do with a CRT at low res, because lower resolutions are more CPU limited than GPU limited.

But anyway, just my opinion. I'm easily swayed by eye candy... :D 
!