Where did everyone go?

lee

Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were gateway
users. Could it be there are so little problems with a Gateway product
there is nothing to complain about or fix?

Lee

Is gateway still in business? he he

"Lee" <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were gateway
> users. Could it be there are so little problems with a Gateway product
> there is nothing to complain about or fix?
>
> Lee

Both of mine are working fine.

In news:YksPe.253$2_.228@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated
| Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were
| gateway users. Could it be there are so little problems with a
| Gateway product there is nothing to complain about or fix?
|
| Lee

Ed

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:48:38 -0700, "A & L" <tpsdoc@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Is gateway still in business? he he

They died when they sold out to India support and assembly in Taiwan
and China. Death came around 1999 -2000. Someone tried to revive
them by an injection of EMachine but the damage was done and EMachine
is definitely no cure for anything much less to be considered as a
computer. But never fear, their sales and marketing department is
alive and well out there tricking the unsuspecting and/or unknowing
into believing that they are an American Computer Company, that
actually builds and support computers right here in the good ole US of
A.

This ain't your Father's Gateway Company!

Lee wrote:
> Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were gateway
> users. Could it be there are so little problems with a Gateway product
> there is nothing to complain about or fix?
>
> Lee

Since Gateway slipped into the generic box market, perhaps the answers
to their problems are equally generic and they seek them elsewhere.
That, and the falling number of service providers who give free access
to the usenet.

Mort

A lot of newbies have no idea what usenet is, let alone how to use it... Ben
Myers

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:20:50 -0400, Mortimer <Mortimer@spamblock.com> wrote:

>Lee wrote:
>> Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were gateway
>> users. Could it be there are so little problems with a Gateway product
>> there is nothing to complain about or fix?
>>
>> Lee
>
>Since Gateway slipped into the generic box market, perhaps the answers
>to their problems are equally generic and they seek them elsewhere.
>That, and the falling number of service providers who give free access
>to the usenet.
>
>Mort

Which is very sad, most of what I know about computers I learned on Usenet.

In news:430f08c1.1835449@nntp.charter.net,
ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated
| A lot of newbies have no idea what usenet is, let alone how to use
| it... Ben Myers

Scott

Joan,

All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)

Scott

"Joan F (MI)" wrote:

> Both of mine are working fine.
>
> In news:YksPe.253$2_.228@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated
> | Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were
> | gateway users. Could it be there are so little problems with a
> | Gateway product there is nothing to complain about or fix?
> |
> | Lee

C'mon! You never studied Sanskit??? We speak both American and king's English
here. Flawlessly... Ben Myers

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:31:52 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Joan,
>
>All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
>a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
>a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
>M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
>support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)
>
>Scott
>
>"Joan F (MI)" wrote:
>>
>> Both of mine are working fine.
>>
>> In news:YksPe.253$2_.228@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
>> Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated
>> | Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were
>> | gateway users. Could it be there are so little problems with a
>> | Gateway product there is nothing to complain about or fix?
>> |
>> | Lee

I did need support a couple of months ago as I took a key off the keyboard
of my laptop and couldn't get it back on, but I did it through email and
they sent me a new keyboard right away. I really prefer email
communications as they are written so you have a record of it and you don't
have to worry about writing down any detailed instructions. Of course, if
you have only one computer and your problem is a disabling one, then you
have no choice but the phone.

In news:430FECB8.484A975D@uslink.net,
Scott <golden@uslink.net> stated
| Joan,
|
| All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
| a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
| a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
| M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
| support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)
|
| Scott

Scott

Ben,

I sympathize. In calling a bank credit card customer support line recently,
my only option was to talk to someone in India. My wife and I were both on
the line. While the rep spoke very clear and understandable English, her
interpretation and her response to our question made no sense whatsoever.
We were just scratching our heads wondering how her plain English had no
meaning whatsoeve So, I called back and got another (more senior rep) who not
only understood our question, but her explanation of the solution made sense
to us. By then, I was yearning for an American customer service rep...who could
have responded to our cquestion and given us a precise explanation in 30-seconds
flat.

One tip I've heard is to tell your Sanskrit-enabled customer service person that
you only speak Spanish and they will immediately switch you to an English/Spanish
speaking rep somewhere in Canada. Apparently, no one in India has ever studied
Spanish :)

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> C'mon! You never studied Sanskit??? We speak both American and king's English
> here. Flawlessly... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:31:52 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >Joan,
> >
> >All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
> >a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
> >a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
> >M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
> >support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)
> >
> >Scott
> >
> >"Joan F (MI)" wrote:
> >>
> >> Both of mine are working fine.
> >>
> >> In news:YksPe.253$2_.228@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> >> Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated

I'll tell them I only speak Italian, learned from some years there.

I, too, have had less than positive responses from Dell's tech support in India,
either via voice or email... Ben Myers

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:00:45 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Ben,
>
>I sympathize. In calling a bank credit card customer support line recently,
>my only option was to talk to someone in India. My wife and I were both on
>the line. While the rep spoke very clear and understandable English, her
>interpretation and her response to our question made no sense whatsoever.
>We were just scratching our heads wondering how her plain English had no
>meaning whatsoeve So, I called back and got another (more senior rep) who not
>only understood our question, but her explanation of the solution made sense
>to us. By then, I was yearning for an American customer service rep...who could
>have responded to our cquestion and given us a precise explanation in 30-seconds
>flat.
>
>One tip I've heard is to tell your Sanskrit-enabled customer service person that
>you only speak Spanish and they will immediately switch you to an English/Spanish
>speaking rep somewhere in Canada. Apparently, no one in India has ever studied
>Spanish :)
>
>Scott
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>> C'mon! You never studied Sanskit??? We speak both American and king's English
>> here. Flawlessly... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:31:52 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Joan,
>> >
>> >All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
>> >a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
>> >a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
>> >M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
>> >support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)
>> >
>> >Scott

I am thinking you are a very unknowledgeable person. It is Hindi, you red
neck hillbilly.

lol

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Joan,
>
> All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
> a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
> a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
> M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
> support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)
>
> Scott
>
> "Joan F (MI)" wrote:
> >
> > Both of mine are working fine.
> >
> > In news:YksPe.253$2_.228@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> > Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated
> > | Gee it looks so empty here, you would never even know there were
> > | gateway users. Could it be there are so little problems with a
> > | Gateway product there is nothing to complain about or fix?
> > |
> > | Lee

Scott

Kevin,

Okay. I don't spead Hindi either :)

Scott

Kevin Childers wrote:

> I am thinking you are a very unknowledgeable person. It is Hindi, you red
> neck hillbilly.
>
> lol
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Joan,
> >
> > All six of my Gateways continue to run fine, including my first one,
> > a P5-90 purchased in 1994 and running Win95a. My last three Gateways,
> > a 700X desktop (3 yrs old) and 400SP notebook (2 years old) and an
> > M320S notebook (2 months old) have never required a call to tech
> > support...which is just as well, since I don't speak Hindu :)
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > "Joan F (MI)" wrote:
> > >
> > > Both of mine are working fine.
> > >
> > > In news:YksPe.253$2_.228@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> > > Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated

That IS sad, because this newsgroup helped me greatly through the years
with an ole' P5-120, and more recently with an eMachine that shipped
with a defective CD-ROM/DVD. If everyone has to go to the lengths I had
to before they would ship me a replacement drive (3 different sessions,
including one where I had to totally reimage my hard drive), I can
understand why no one is buying Gateway anymore and thus there's no one
left to participate in this newsgroup. It's good Ed Neth and Ben Myers
keep hanging in there to help. If is there a Dell usenet group, it would
be interesting to compare its activity to this one.

"John Hale" <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> That IS sad, because this newsgroup helped me greatly through the years
> with an ole' P5-120, and more recently with an eMachine that shipped with
> a defective CD-ROM/DVD. If everyone has to go to the lengths I had to
> before they would ship me a replacement drive (3 different sessions,
> including one where I had to totally reimage my hard drive), I can
> understand why no one is buying Gateway anymore and thus there's no one
> left to participate in this newsgroup. It's good Ed Neth and Ben Myers
> keep hanging in there to help. If is there a Dell usenet group, it would
> be interesting to compare its activity to this one.

alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

> Joan F (MI) wrote:
>> Which is very sad, most of what I know about computers I learned on
>> Usenet.
>>
>> In news:430f08c1.1835449@nntp.charter.net,
>> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
>> charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated
>> | A lot of newbies have no idea what usenet is, let alone how to use
>> | it... Ben Myers

Best thing to do is to refuse to re-image the hard drive. Tech support at lots
of companies tell you to reload Windows and start all over again, a knee-jerk
reaction. I would want some positive indication myself that Windows is all
hosed up, before I would reload the OS. There's a lot of work involved,
especially the almost endless cycle of reinstalling all the fixes and patches to
make the lame-o Windows more secure... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> Best thing to do is to refuse to re-image the hard drive. Tech support at lots
> of companies tell you to reload Windows and start all over again, a knee-jerk
> reaction. I would want some positive indication myself that Windows is all
> hosed up, before I would reload the OS. There's a lot of work involved,
> especially the almost endless cycle of reinstalling all the fixes and patches to
> make the lame-o Windows more secure... Ben Myers

Yeah, the thing that gets me is that they recommend a
re-installation/re-image without ever determining the root cause of the
initial problem.

-Mort

Thanks, that's definitely what I'll do next time if I have any other
problems, which fortunately hasn't happened so far. I bought the $400
eMachine as an inexpensive "tide-me-over" until I get my 2 boys out of
college this coming year, so for the price I can't gripe too much. Yet
I also went eMachines in part because of the good reviews they got
around a year ago about their improved quality. Now I get the latest
issue of _PC Magazine_, and of course the ratings for Gateway and
eMachines are both down, with _PC Magazine_ stating, "On both the
desktop and notebook portions of our survey, Gateway's overall score is
significantly worse than average, and after last year's improvement,
eMachines actually moves backwards, receiving a similarly low score for
desktops."

Ben Myers wrote:
> Best thing to do is to refuse to re-image the hard drive. Tech support at lots
> of companies tell you to reload Windows and start all over again, a knee-jerk
> reaction. I would want some positive indication myself that Windows is all
> hosed up, before I would reload the OS. There's a lot of work involved,
> especially the almost endless cycle of reinstalling all the fixes and patches to
> make the lame-o Windows more secure... Ben Myers

Thanks. A check shows almost 4000 postings since July 2005.

PWY wrote:

> "John Hale" <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>> If is there a
>> Dell usenet group, it would be interesting to compare its activity to
>> this one.
>

> alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>

>> Joan F (MI) wrote:
>>
>>> Which is very sad, most of what I know about computers I learned on
>>> Usenet.
>>>
>>> In news:430f08c1.1835449@nntp.charter.net,
>>> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
>>> charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated

Ed

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:51:15 GMT, John Hale
<nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>and after last year's improvement,
>eMachines actually moves backwards, receiving a similarly low score for
>desktops."

Which is not too long after they were absorbed by the Marketing and
Sales firm known as Gateway so a decline in that specific Taiwanese
product is understandable.

Regards,
Ed

Scott

John Hale wrote:

> That IS sad, because this newsgroup helped me greatly through the years
> with an ole' P5-120, and more recently with an eMachine that shipped
> with a defective CD-ROM/DVD. If everyone has to go to the lengths I had
> to before they would ship me a replacement drive (3 different sessions,
> including one where I had to totally reimage my hard drive), I can
> understand why no one is buying Gateway anymore and thus there's no one
> left to participate in this newsgroup. It's good Ed Neth and Ben Myers
> keep hanging in there to help. If is there a Dell usenet group, it would
> be interesting to compare its activity to this one.
>
> Joan F (MI) wrote:
> > Which is very sad, most of what I know about computers I learned on Usenet.
> >
> > In news:430f08c1.1835449@nntp.charter.net,
> > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
> > charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated
> > | A lot of newbies have no idea what usenet is, let alone how to use
> > | it... Ben Myers

John,

Hey, I've got a P5-90 (purchased 1994)! It's our first computer, and I still
use it in my home-based business. I upgraded it to Win95a and Pentium Overdrive
200MHz chip, and it still hums along smoothly. So, how is your P5-120 running
these days?

Scott

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Best thing to do is to refuse to re-image the hard drive. Tech support at lots
> of companies tell you to reload Windows and start all over again, a knee-jerk
> reaction. I would want some positive indication myself that Windows is all
> hosed up, before I would reload the OS. There's a lot of work involved,
> especially the almost endless cycle of reinstalling all the fixes and patches to
> make the lame-o Windows more secure... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:51:15 GMT, John Hale <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >That IS sad, because this newsgroup helped me greatly through the years
> >with an ole' P5-120, and more recently with an eMachine that shipped
> >with a defective CD-ROM/DVD. If everyone has to go to the lengths I had
> >to before they would ship me a replacement drive (3 different sessions,
> >including one where I had to totally reimage my hard drive), I can
> >understand why no one is buying Gateway anymore and thus there's no one
> >left to participate in this newsgroup. It's good Ed Neth and Ben Myers
> >keep hanging in there to help. If is there a Dell usenet group, it would
> >be interesting to compare its activity to this one.
> >
> >Joan F (MI) wrote:
> >> Which is very sad, most of what I know about computers I learned on Usenet.
> >>
> >> In news:430f08c1.1835449@nntp.charter.net,
> >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
> >> charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated

Ben,

That reminds me of several years ago when my Win95a P5-90 started conflicting
with the STB video card. A very knowledgeable Gateway tech support person spent
2 hours on the phone with me to help me reinstall Win95 over the existing
installation. It worked...and all my data and programs were preserved, saving me
from a reformat. He even shipped me an updated video card (at no charge) so the
problem wouldn't recur. Ahh, weren't those the "good old days" when tech support
actually solved problems?

Scott

> Hey, I've got a P5-90 (purchased 1994)! It's our first computer, and I
> still
> use it in my home-based business. I upgraded it to Win95a and Pentium
> Overdrive
> 200MHz chip, and it still hums along smoothly. So, how is your P5-120
> running
> these days?
>
> Scott

Just thought I would comment here, is that a lot of us, have
active older gateway computers running from their golden years. My old 486
dx2-66 with the mini desktop(not a mini tower) still hums along and is
being used every day for word processing in my household, when another
computer is not available for some reason or another.
Its had two battery changes, and three power supplies
replaced. Other then that, except for a few upgrades early on, such as sound
card and added memory and larger hard drive, it has performed flawlessly.
I still keep my old windows for workgroups. 3.1 on
floppys around, just in case. LOL I run win95 on this computer. Sure
wish they still made em like this.

Much regards Jerry

"Joan F (MI)" <jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote in message
> Which is very sad, most of what I know about computers I learned on
Usenet.

Great comment, Joan.

I've actually sent you an email about it - using the corrected address
above. I'm actually interested in interviewing you for a story for a major
publication. (I don't want to go into too much detail publicly.) Please post
back here if you don't get my email.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.