Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am hoping someone can tell me what a "normal" RPM for a CPU fan might be,
or why else my CPU is overheating.

1) I do not overclock
2) CPU fan speed is 2556RPM
3) The average CPU temperature lately is 90C
4) I just went into BIOS right now, the CPU temp was 77 degrees, which is
the lowest i've seen in a few days, but i sat there in BIOS for only about
3-4 minutes and the CPU temp went from 77 to 90 in those few minutes when all
i was doing was looking at BIOS. During those few minutes, the CPU fan speed
was 2518-2556 RPM.
5) The other box fans are working, and the side is off, so there should be
plenty of airflow. The heat fins are clean, vents and fans are clean.

PC is only about 2 years old, XP Pro SP2, 512 ram. I don't even use this
computer for gaming, music, etc. Just mainly email (i never open attachments
or allow active x)and browsing. It's behind a firewall, router, switch,
Norton AV, MS AntiSpyware, and routinely updated, so a virus or worm is out
of the question.

Thanks!

Hi Greg,

May I know what CPU you are using? Maybe I could help.

Regards,
Beelee

"Greg" wrote:

> I am hoping someone can tell me what a "normal" RPM for a CPU fan might be,
> or why else my CPU is overheating.
>
> 1) I do not overclock
> 2) CPU fan speed is 2556RPM
> 3) The average CPU temperature lately is 90C
> 4) I just went into BIOS right now, the CPU temp was 77 degrees, which is
> the lowest i've seen in a few days, but i sat there in BIOS for only about
> 3-4 minutes and the CPU temp went from 77 to 90 in those few minutes when all
> i was doing was looking at BIOS. During those few minutes, the CPU fan speed
> was 2518-2556 RPM.
> 5) The other box fans are working, and the side is off, so there should be
> plenty of airflow. The heat fins are clean, vents and fans are clean.
>
> PC is only about 2 years old, XP Pro SP2, 512 ram. I don't even use this
> computer for gaming, music, etc. Just mainly email (i never open attachments
> or allow active x)and browsing. It's behind a firewall, router, switch,
> Norton AV, MS AntiSpyware, and routinely updated, so a virus or worm is out
> of the question.
>
> Thanks!

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry, it is a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz

"Beelee" wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> May I know what CPU you are using? Maybe I could help.
>
> Regards,
> Beelee
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
> > I am hoping someone can tell me what a "normal" RPM for a CPU fan might be,
> > or why else my CPU is overheating.
> >
> > 1) I do not overclock
> > 2) CPU fan speed is 2556RPM
> > 3) The average CPU temperature lately is 90C
> > 4) I just went into BIOS right now, the CPU temp was 77 degrees, which is
> > the lowest i've seen in a few days, but i sat there in BIOS for only about
> > 3-4 minutes and the CPU temp went from 77 to 90 in those few minutes when all
> > i was doing was looking at BIOS. During those few minutes, the CPU fan speed
> > was 2518-2556 RPM.
> > 5) The other box fans are working, and the side is off, so there should be
> > plenty of airflow. The heat fins are clean, vents and fans are clean.
> >
> > PC is only about 2 years old, XP Pro SP2, 512 ram. I don't even use this
> > computer for gaming, music, etc. Just mainly email (i never open attachments
> > or allow active x)and browsing. It's behind a firewall, router, switch,
> > Norton AV, MS AntiSpyware, and routinely updated, so a virus or worm is out
> > of the question.
> >
> > Thanks!

That may be caused by insufficient thermal compound between the CPU and
heatsink.

Greg wrote:

> I am hoping someone can tell me what a "normal" RPM for a CPU fan might be,
> or why else my CPU is overheating.
>
> 1) I do not overclock
> 2) CPU fan speed is 2556RPM
> 3) The average CPU temperature lately is 90C
> 4) I just went into BIOS right now, the CPU temp was 77 degrees, which is
> the lowest i've seen in a few days, but i sat there in BIOS for only about
> 3-4 minutes and the CPU temp went from 77 to 90 in those few minutes when all
> i was doing was looking at BIOS. During those few minutes, the CPU fan speed
> was 2518-2556 RPM.
> 5) The other box fans are working, and the side is off, so there should be
> plenty of airflow. The heat fins are clean, vents and fans are clean.
>
> PC is only about 2 years old, XP Pro SP2, 512 ram. I don't even use this
> computer for gaming, music, etc. Just mainly email (i never open attachments
> or allow active x)and browsing. It's behind a firewall, router, switch,
> Norton AV, MS AntiSpyware, and routinely updated, so a virus or worm is out
> of the question.
>
> Thanks!

frodo

2600 rpm for cpu fan is reasonable, tho 90 degree C is WAY hot. Since
it's an older 2.4 GHZ, I assume it's not a Prescott core, so it should be
down around 45-50 degrees C (under load, 40 w/ no load). Prescotts do run
hotter. Are you (or the bios) running any kind of fan speed controller?
Disable it and check fan speed again.

What is case intenal temp - if it's way high then that explains it.
Check for dust bunnies, good airflow, etc.

Are you SURE the temp reading is actually correct? What does the bios say,
and do they jive? Get the proper utility from the motherboard maker, or
the proper version of Motherboard Montior, if they have one that supports
your motherboard.

If everything checks outs, I too would guess the interface between the
cooler and the cpu top is bad. VERY CAREFULLY remove the heatsink (it can
stick to the cpu, be very careful to remove it gently, without yanking cpu
from socket - use a GENTLE twist/rock motion). Clean both surfaces and
reapply a good heat transfer compound like Artic Silver. Follow directions
cafefully, a little dab will do ya.

[Intel original heat compound is a double-sided-tape like strip, and it's
hard to remove. Be gentle and patient, it will come off with care. Also,
consider a better heatsink+fan unit, such as a Zalmann.]

Good Luck.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This is exactly what happened. I have never touched the fan, or mounting, or
heat sink, etc, so i never thought to check it before.

It is broken, both the top bracket (on top of fan) and bottom bracket
(attached right to motherbaord) has broken into many pieces and the heat fins
were not sitting flat on the CPU. I have the 478 socket.

I have it cooling correctly now and it's been at 45 degrees for the last 2
days with no reboots. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me, i
appreciate it :)