hard drive

ralh182

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
I gave my parents my old computer cause theirs is a piece of junk well I used maxblast 3 to copy the drive and everything seem to have gone ok except when I plugged the hard drive into the their new computer there is a blue screen that comes up and says something along the lines as windows could not load properly and has shut down to prevent damage. it said stop and a bunch of numbers following. I have checked the jumpers and in fact I have gone through all the combonations possible and still get the same message. When I plug the hard drive back into their old computer it works find what would cause this and is their a way around it? Also is their any good free hard drive copying programs that might do a better job then max blast?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That sounds like a hardware configuration issue, not a cloning problem. What OS are you using? You can likely fix the problem by doing a "repair" installation, which reconfigures the OS for the new hardware and reinstalls most OS files.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ralh182

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
my parents hard drive is running xp pro and i am running xp home. I have even tried just running there hard drive on my computer and I still got the same message. Now if I have my hard drive as the master and thiers as the slave all is fine. I can access both drives. Won't work with just thiers. The computer I am giving them won't have an OS so I wanted to use theirs with out having to reinstall it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I already said, likely a configuration issue. Windows can only make minor configuration adjustments, not major ones, you usually can't pop an XP installation into another system and have it work right...but you can often fix it by doing a repair installation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>