Hitachi SATA drive?

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

See one on sale this week at Compusa, $39 AR for a 160G SATA. Is this any
good, worth the $ or junk. I was thinking of using it as a 2nd drive in my
8400 to turn on raid 1 (I think, mirroring) as the 2nd drive to the
installed Seagate.

Bryan wrote:
> See one on sale this week at Compusa, $39 AR for a 160G SATA. Is this any
> good, worth the $ or junk. I was thinking of using it as a 2nd drive in my
> 8400 to turn on raid 1 (I think, mirroring) as the 2nd drive to the
> installed Seagate.

In-store only on a SATA HD originally priced at $129.99 It
is advertized with a $30. instant savings and a $60. mail-in
rebate. The out-of-the-store price is $69.99. Price looks good
but I have had no prior experience with Hitachi products.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:26:20 GMT, "Bryan"
<bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>See one on sale this week at Compusa, $39 AR for a 160G SATA. Is this any
>good, worth the $ or junk. I was thinking of using it as a 2nd drive in my
>8400 to turn on raid 1 (I think, mirroring) as the 2nd drive to the
>installed Seagate.

Three weeks ago I bought the ATA version, same deal from CompUSA. I
Googled for a whole evening and found nothing much negative. I put
mine in a Belkin external drive closure to use for backups. Works
great, very quiet.

George
gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

Just be careful with mail in rebates.
"George Earl" <gearl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:26:20 GMT, "Bryan"
> <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>See one on sale this week at Compusa, $39 AR for a 160G SATA. Is this any
>>good, worth the $ or junk. I was thinking of using it as a 2nd drive in my
>>8400 to turn on raid 1 (I think, mirroring) as the 2nd drive to the
>>installed Seagate.
>>

> Three weeks ago I bought the ATA version, same deal from CompUSA. I
> Googled for a whole evening and found nothing much negative. I put
> mine in a Belkin external drive closure to use for backups. Works
> great, very quiet.
>

> George
> gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

You will have no problems with mail in rebates from Compusa, the FTC went
after them in a big way at the beginning of this year. I got a $250 and
$150 mail in rebate in a timely manner from them this past March when I
purchased a Compaq laptop. In fact I have never had problems with any MIB's
from any retailer.

"Kevin M" <kmisenhxxx@charter.net> wrote in message
> Just be careful with mail in rebates.
> "George Earl" <gearl@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:26:20 GMT, "Bryan"
>> <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>See one on sale this week at Compusa, $39 AR for a 160G SATA. Is this any
>>>good, worth the $ or junk. I was thinking of using it as a 2nd drive in
>>>my
>>>8400 to turn on raid 1 (I think, mirroring) as the 2nd drive to the
>>>installed Seagate.
>>>

>> Three weeks ago I bought the ATA version, same deal from CompUSA. I
>> Googled for a whole evening and found nothing much negative. I put
>> mine in a Belkin external drive closure to use for backups. Works
>> great, very quiet.
>>

>> George
>> gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

I purchased a Hitachi 250g sata drive from compusa several weeks ago. The
first one never made it into the box. After mounting it in the drive cage
and attaching the drive cable on the back the drive's sata connector simply
fell off. I returned it for a second which could not be formated.

The original drive came with a $65 rebate offer which I submitted. I
recently received a letter from Hitachi stating that the rebate request I
submitted was not being honored because I had not enclosed a upc from the
Hitachi box. At the same time, I have a scan of the original rebated request
with the upc attached.

After these experiences, I trust neither the quality of hitachi drives nor
the integrety of their business practices.

Bryan wrote:
> See one on sale this week at Compusa, $39 AR for a 160G SATA. Is this any
> good, worth the $ or junk. I was thinking of using it as a 2nd drive in my
> 8400 to turn on raid 1 (I think, mirroring) as the 2nd drive to the
> installed Seagate.

Hitachi basically bought out the IBM deskstar line. My experience with
the IBM drives was always good and I haven't read of problems with the
Hitachi drives.

As far as mail in rebates go, I hate them, but it seems like that is the
"only way" to get a sale on a computer part these days. Just be sure
to send them out the day you buy the product and follow every
instruction to a T. If it says Circle, you better circle, etc.

<cough>bullshit<cough>

Actually Mad Dog will not get you your money (Comp USA told me).

But lately, I have been having a BIG problem with Canon.

Twice, they've screwed me.

I'll get mine, though.

Oh, Hitachi is what became of IBM's hard disk business unit. It's OK.