Genuine Windows Validation failed to recognize legal copy ..

Hi All,
Recenly I've purchased new HP notebook with preinstalled Windows XP Pro
SP2.
When today I tried to update my copy of Windows using Microsoft update
service the Genuine Windows Validation program told me I'm using an
illegal version of MS Windows !!!
I've tried to reactivate my copy of OS by changing registry key
NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents
and running
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
But when I entered the OEM license number (as per HP OEM sticker) and
attempted
to activate, I was politely informed that the key number was mistyped
(message number 45128) and invalid, yet the activation works when I'm
not change serial key !
The guys from HP customer support say it is Microsoft's problem.
Could somebody help me with that issue?

Thanks in advance,
Leonid Kvetnyi
14 answers Last reply
More about genuine windows validation failed recognize legal copy

    Compare here
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_coa.mspx?quizType=oem&compareButton=Compare+Now

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "leonidk@rocketmail.com" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Recenly I've purchased new HP notebook with preinstalled Windows XP Pro
    > SP2.
    > When today I tried to update my copy of Windows using Microsoft update
    > service the Genuine Windows Validation program told me I'm using an
    > illegal version of MS Windows !!!
    > I've tried to reactivate my copy of OS by changing registry key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents
    > and running
    > %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    > But when I entered the OEM license number (as per HP OEM sticker) and
    > attempted
    > to activate, I was politely informed that the key number was mistyped
    > (message number 45128) and invalid, yet the activation works when I'm
    > not change serial key !
    > The guys from HP customer support say it is Microsoft's problem.
    > Could somebody help me with that issue?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Leonid Kvetnyi

    One detial - I have no hologram CD. Just black-white CD with Windows XP
    Pro SP2 and Hewlett-Packard copyright.
    BTW I know many people who bought laptop from HP Israel and got the
    same type of CD that I described before.

    First - for updating.
    Second - this is a legal copy of Windows? As a honest owner I want to
    have all rights that MS promised.

    leonidk@rocketmail.com wrote:
    > One detial - I have no hologram CD. Just black-white CD with Windows
    > XP Pro SP2 and Hewlett-Packard copyright.
    > BTW I know many people who bought laptop from HP Israel and got the
    > same type of CD that I described before.

    What do you NEED WGA for?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Then why are you waiting?
    Report piracy for that cd to Microsoft.
    Go here
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/what.aspx

    --

    On 2 Aug 2005 06:47:18 -0700, "leonidk@rocketmail.com"

    >Second - this is a legal copy of Windows? As a honest owner I want to
    >have all rights that MS promised.

    Well, being legal doesn't promise you the right to custom (re-)install
    Windows the way you want it. As long as OEMs sell "legal" Windows
    (i.e. pay MS), MS don't care if you don't even get an installation CD
    at all, not even the usual crippled "factory restore" junk you get
    when you pay "big brand tax" for Compaq et al.

    IMO, this shoots the concept of "Genuine Advantage" to pieces.

    Tip Of The Day:
    To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 02:26:18 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
    <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

    >On 2 Aug 2005 06:47:18 -0700, "leonidk@rocketmail.com"
    >
    >>Second - this is a legal copy of Windows? As a honest owner I want to
    >>have all rights that MS promised.
    >
    >Well, being legal doesn't promise you the right to custom (re-)install
    >Windows the way you want it. As long as OEMs sell "legal" Windows
    >(i.e. pay MS), MS don't care if you don't even get an installation CD
    >at all, not even the usual crippled "factory restore" junk you get
    >when you pay "big brand tax" for Compaq et al.
    >
    >IMO, this shoots the concept of "Genuine Advantage" to pieces.
    >

    >>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    > Tip Of The Day:
    > To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...
    >>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    A mvp said this? I am very surprised

    I'm a legal owner and I keep getting a validation failure as well and can't
    get free technical support. I'd like the rights that MS promised too. I
    can't get any updates. and I have the legal product number as well.

    "leonidk@rocketmail.com" wrote:

    > First - for updating.
    > Second - this is a legal copy of Windows? As a honest owner I want to
    > have all rights that MS promised.

    What is "WGA"

    "kurttrail" wrote:

    > leonidk@rocketmail.com wrote:
    > > One detial - I have no hologram CD. Just black-white CD with Windows
    > > XP Pro SP2 and Hewlett-Packard copyright.
    > > BTW I know many people who bought laptop from HP Israel and got the
    > > same type of CD that I described before.
    >
    > What do you NEED WGA for?
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Windows Genuine Advantage Offers
    http://catalog.microsoft.com/genuine/offers/default.aspx

    Josh wrote:
    > What is "WGA"

    Windows Genuine disAdvantage.
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx

    --

    Bob I wrote:
    > Windows Genuine Advantage Offers
    > http://catalog.microsoft.com/genuine/offers/default.aspx

    And "Windows Genuine Advantage Offers" should actually read:

    Windows Genuine Advantage Valueless Bribes For MicroAssKissers!

    Or WGAVBFMAK!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Windows Genuine Advantage.

    Alias

    Alias wrote:
    > Windows Genuine Advantage.

    That's should really be "disAdvantage." As the program really seems to
    be a means for MS to "dis" its paying customers!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator