Just When You Think You Have Them Pegged

If you hate Gateway/Emachines tech support, stop here as you will have
you most basic perceptions challenged.

Two weeks ago I casually asked my grand-daughter why I never see her on
line any more and why of late she has to come to our house to do her online
homework. Reply, "Oh, didn't mom or dad tell you, lightning took out our
computer and all of the house phones. Well since I fix that sort of stuff I
volunteered to check it out.

First off lightning did indeed hit the phone line and the telco guys had
to replace lines to and in the house as well as the demarcation point box.
The four phone system was Ok, but the base unit was a write off, no biggie,
that is until I called their tech support. Nice folks, dumb as a bag of
hammers and as helpful as knife with no blade. After an hour on the phone I
took the easy way out an bought a new base unit and now the kids have a
spare hand set.

Ok, I put it off till last because I just knew it would be a royal pain.
I checked out their PC, and Emachine(model D2685) and yep the modem was
dead. Used the number off the back of the tower and called Emachines for
service. Went through the phone tree and in about 2 minutes I was talking
to a tech. Not just any tech, but one named Josh, badge # 70464. He had be
do a test and confirmed my diagnosis. Told me what I needed and forwarded
me to the parts desk where they checked to see if they had a matching modem
model. Not in stock, but using some cross reference they said they had a
near match with a Gateway modem that had a few added features. Then
surprise they checked price and it was a even a few dollars cheaper. I
agreed and they took my CC # and ask about shipping. Since the kids seemed
in no rush I took standard shipping and was told it would be 5 to 7 days.
Fine all done and they said I would get a confirmation and tracking number
via Email. So far things all seemed to go surprisingly well.

Six days later the modem arrived and I installed the hardware ran the
software setup and was done in under 30 minutes. I can't explain it nor do
I even suppose I could even guaranty how some one else could get this kind
of service. I spoke to two very US born and bred sounding individuals with
no muss and no fuss.

It was almost like going back in time to the days when US companies made
computers and US tech supported them. Back when folks in the PC business
cared about customer satisfaction.

Well that's my story, sorry for messing up the status quo and everyone's
preconceived notions of what Emachines/Gateway service is like.

KC

Well, I think that it is all luck of the draw. Sometimes you get good help,
sometimes you get horror stories.

In news:_c2Ve.29872$ih4.11244@fe02.lga,
Kevin Childers <wildthing123@charter.net> stated
| If you hate Gateway/Emachines tech support, stop here as you will
| have you most basic perceptions challenged.
|
| Two weeks ago I casually asked my grand-daughter why I never see
| her on line any more and why of late she has to come to our house to
| do her online homework. Reply, "Oh, didn't mom or dad tell you,
| lightning took out our computer and all of the house phones. Well
| since I fix that sort of stuff I volunteered to check it out.
|
| First off lightning did indeed hit the phone line and the telco
| guys had to replace lines to and in the house as well as the
| demarcation point box. The four phone system was Ok, but the base
| unit was a write off, no biggie, that is until I called their tech
| support. Nice folks, dumb as a bag of hammers and as helpful as
| knife with no blade. After an hour on the phone I took the easy way
| out an bought a new base unit and now the kids have a spare hand set.
|
| Ok, I put it off till last because I just knew it would be a
| royal pain. I checked out their PC, and Emachine(model D2685) and yep
| the modem was dead. Used the number off the back of the tower and
| called Emachines for service. Went through the phone tree and in
| about 2 minutes I was talking to a tech. Not just any tech, but one
| named Josh, badge # 70464. He had be do a test and confirmed my
| diagnosis. Told me what I needed and forwarded me to the parts desk
| where they checked to see if they had a matching modem model. Not in
| stock, but using some cross reference they said they had a near match
| with a Gateway modem that had a few added features. Then surprise
| they checked price and it was a even a few dollars cheaper. I agreed
| and they took my CC # and ask about shipping. Since the kids seemed
| in no rush I took standard shipping and was told it would be 5 to 7
| days. Fine all done and they said I would get a confirmation and
| tracking number via Email. So far things all seemed to go
| surprisingly well.
|
| Six days later the modem arrived and I installed the hardware ran
| the software setup and was done in under 30 minutes. I can't explain
| it nor do I even suppose I could even guaranty how some one else
| could get this kind of service. I spoke to two very US born and bred
| sounding individuals with no muss and no fuss.
|
| It was almost like going back in time to the days when US
| companies made computers and US tech supported them. Back when folks
| in the PC business cared about customer satisfaction.
|
| Well that's my story, sorry for messing up the status quo and
| everyone's preconceived notions of what Emachines/Gateway service is
| like.
|
| KC

Ed

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:27:54 -0500, "Kevin Childers"
<wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

> Well that's my story, sorry for messing up the status quo and everyone's
>preconceived notions of what Emachines/Gateway service is like.

Hey, no need to be sorry about anything... I'm just tickled pink for
ya'. I love hearing feel good, warm & fussy stories about computer
service related issues that came out right in the end. It's stories
like that that give us all faith that there just might still be some
hope for all of us out there. However, you used the word
"preconceived" which makes it sound as if those that have issues with
the process are doing so without any facts or first hand experience. I
assure you that a little research into the cause/result ratio
associated with the downward spiral of conglomerates associated with
the mass marketing and sales of third world produced computers will
show it to be much more than a "preconceived" notion.

Regards,
Ed

No doubt this is how customer service should be. Nothing more. Definitely
nothing less. Turning things around, however, you seem to have been the
model customer, if there is such a thing. For example, I notice you didn't
demand that a lightning-damaged modem be replaced under warrantee. You
didn't demand special treatment, but were satisfied with good customer
service. Had you needed the modem right away, I suspect you would have been
willing to pay for more expensive shipping.

Scott

Kevin Childers wrote:

> If you hate Gateway/Emachines tech support, stop here as you will have
> you most basic perceptions challenged.
>
> Two weeks ago I casually asked my grand-daughter why I never see her on
> line any more and why of late she has to come to our house to do her online
> homework. Reply, "Oh, didn't mom or dad tell you, lightning took out our
> computer and all of the house phones. Well since I fix that sort of stuff I
> volunteered to check it out.
>
> First off lightning did indeed hit the phone line and the telco guys had
> to replace lines to and in the house as well as the demarcation point box.
> The four phone system was Ok, but the base unit was a write off, no biggie,
> that is until I called their tech support. Nice folks, dumb as a bag of
> hammers and as helpful as knife with no blade. After an hour on the phone I
> took the easy way out an bought a new base unit and now the kids have a
> spare hand set.
>
> Ok, I put it off till last because I just knew it would be a royal pain.
> I checked out their PC, and Emachine(model D2685) and yep the modem was
> dead. Used the number off the back of the tower and called Emachines for
> service. Went through the phone tree and in about 2 minutes I was talking
> to a tech. Not just any tech, but one named Josh, badge # 70464. He had be
> do a test and confirmed my diagnosis. Told me what I needed and forwarded
> me to the parts desk where they checked to see if they had a matching modem
> model. Not in stock, but using some cross reference they said they had a
> near match with a Gateway modem that had a few added features. Then
> surprise they checked price and it was a even a few dollars cheaper. I
> agreed and they took my CC # and ask about shipping. Since the kids seemed
> in no rush I took standard shipping and was told it would be 5 to 7 days.
> Fine all done and they said I would get a confirmation and tracking number
> via Email. So far things all seemed to go surprisingly well.
>
> Six days later the modem arrived and I installed the hardware ran the
> software setup and was done in under 30 minutes. I can't explain it nor do
> I even suppose I could even guaranty how some one else could get this kind
> of service. I spoke to two very US born and bred sounding individuals with
> no muss and no fuss.
>
> It was almost like going back in time to the days when US companies made
> computers and US tech supported them. Back when folks in the PC business
> cared about customer satisfaction.
>
> Well that's my story, sorry for messing up the status quo and everyone's
> preconceived notions of what Emachines/Gateway service is like.
>
> KC

KC,

Wow...that's great to hear! That's sounds like the kind of service I always got
from Gateway, up until a few years ago. It's encouraging to learn that one can
still occasionally get some great hands-on service. You made my day :)

Scott

TRENDING THREADS