Looking at No Fear, Jackbot, or Congo

Does anyone have all three of these machines or played all three
extensively to comment on gameplay and the wizard modes on these
machines?

I have played the No Fear that Kirb had at the Zoo show. Other than
that, not too much time on Jackbot or Congo.

I have MM, AFM, CV, and SoPR.

Had: BSD, IJ, ToM, High Speed, PowerPlay, Stern Magic, Trident, Split
Second, Bally Xenon, Bally Harlem Globetrotters, Gottlieb Volcano.

No Fear, no other comment.

GRY

"msalas" <msalas@salascorp.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone have all three of these machines or played all three
> extensively to comment on gameplay and the wizard modes on these
> machines?
>
> I have played the No Fear that Kirb had at the Zoo show. Other than
> that, not too much time on Jackbot or Congo.
>
> I have MM, AFM, CV, and SoPR.
>
> Had: BSD, IJ, ToM, High Speed, PowerPlay, Stern Magic, Trident, Split
> Second, Bally Xenon, Bally Harlem Globetrotters, Gottlieb Volcano.

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

No Fear or JackBot,, I own NF & Sold my JB, But both of these are good
Games,, Hard to go wrong with either .

If the NF is Faded,, Get the JB.,

Pin-Del,

I had a NF and I have played a Jackbot, I would say that I would take
the NF over the Jacbot, never played a congo, so i would buy the congo
just because i never had one or played it.

I had a NF and I have played a Jackbot, I would say that I would take
the NF over the Jacbot, never played a congo, so i would buy the congo
just because i never had one or played it.

I had a NF and I have played a Jackbot, I would say that I would take
the NF over the Jacbot, never played a congo, so i would buy the congo
just because i never had one or played it.

I personally enjoy Congo the most of the three. I honestly can't give
you a reason though. I think I just love that volcano. Jackbot is
great if you're a DMD-only type person, but if you're open to the
"classics", it doesn't have the *cool* factor of Pinbot 1.0. I've
played No Fear on a few occasions, but never really gotten into it. If
you like the Steve Ritchie-type games, you'll probably enjoy it.

I'm assuming that you only want info on these three games, so I won't
jump in and say "you should get X instead"

NF in my opinion. HATED myself for getting rid of my 1st NF, and just
recently replaced it. Congo is a decent game as well (played it pretty
extensively), so I won't down talk it in any way. I haven't had much
time on a fully working Jackbot, so I'm not sure what to say about it.
The one thing I could tell from playing Jackbot is that it is almost
EXACTLY the same game as Pinbot. Kinda a disappointment, as Bride was
similar to the original, yet had it's own flare. Jackbot seemed to be
Pinbot with a DMD. So, get yerself a NF and, "GO FOR THE JUMP!"

-Al

Spida wrote:
> This is an interesting lineup of games to judge. They are appear to be
> around the same price-wise (with Congo probably the cheapest) and are
> somewhat fun 90s dot-matrix titles.

Chris, Thanks for your opinions. You are right about the "same" price
wise criteria. I am looking at this machine to compliment my current
"keepers" Congo, No Fear, and Jackbot were 1995 games with mid tier
pricing.

> Personally I like them all for
> different reasons. Then again, I also think Johnny Mnemonic is an absolute
> blast, underrated and fun as hell. So take my opinions as you will. ;)

I like JM (another class of 95) as well.

> So I guess for the right price, I think you're good with any of them. Like
> many have said, an unfaded No Fear is always a nice treat if you can find
> one with bright red/orange in the cabinet. Jackbot also is often faded.

For a rover, it appears that all three are good machines. I will check
out the condition in terms of fade. I thank everyone for their
opinions. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

manic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002

<brivy37@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I had a NF and I have played a Jackbot, I would say that I would take
> the NF over the Jacbot, never played a congo, so i would buy the congo
> just because i never had one or played it.

Wow that is an truly awful reason to buy something. Also if
you must use Google instead of a real newsreader please
press "send" only once. Thank you ;-)

This is an interesting lineup of games to judge. They are appear to be
around the same price-wise (with Congo probably the cheapest) and are
somewhat fun 90s dot-matrix titles. Personally I like them all for
different reasons. Then again, I also think Johnny Mnemonic is an absolute
blast, underrated and fun as hell. So take my opinions as you will. ;)

Congo: I didn't have much time on a "Congo" until I found one recently at a
local bowling alley. It played so-so (you couldn't make the Volcano ramp
half the time due to a weak left flipper). However, I did enjoy the flow of
the game somewhat.

At the recent Allentown show, I was able to play a solid-fully working one.
Although I spanked it score wise on the first game, I was finding myself
getting into the "feel" of the flips. I'm not a huge Trudeau fan myself so
it takes a lot to impress me (JD is still my fav in that department and
CFTBL is just average........<looks for cover>). So I think Congo is pretty
good fun and worth it for the price it commands.

Jackbot: Do you like Pinbot? If so, Jackbot is pretty much identical
playfield wise with upgraded rules, DCS sound, dot matrix display and a card
game / space theme. I personally like the game and feel it is a worthy
"homage" to the original (much like I feel Getaway is tribute to High Speed
and T3 is a tribute via Stern to T2.......not ORIGINAL games by any means
but rather updated originals). There is enough going on in JB to keep you
busy for a while and it is a pretty upbeat and colorful game.

No Fear: No Fear was a game that, just like Congo, I never had much play
time on overall in the past. I would have normally put this one at the
bottom of the list. However, getting a chance to play my pinfriend Al's at
his place recently, I can say that I definitely enjoy the speed and flow of
it (I paid him back by turning him on to NGG). It has really fun loops and
shots, a few neat end modes and no pop bumpers to keep things movin'. The
upper playfield, and achieving a good flow on that flipper, is a blast.
Although I will admit..........it's probably NOT for everyone as it has a
certain flair to it.

So I guess for the right price, I think you're good with any of them. Like
many have said, an unfaded No Fear is always a nice treat if you can find
one with bright red/orange in the cabinet. Jackbot also is often faded.
The playfields on all three seem to be in pretty good shape today
so.......maybe base it on price and cabinet condition. ;)

As always.........if you can play them first............etc. etc.
:)
Chris

Bucci's Pinball Arcade
"My collection & obsession online"
http://www.buccisarcade.com

Adi

Then again, I also think Johnny Mnemonic is an absolute
> blast, underrated and fun as hell. -- Same here. Cool game.

Adi
www.txpinball.com