Gateway: Fresh install ofwin xp?

jeff

I have been looking at a Gateway 7330GZ forabout a grand.

In the store looks like the hard drive on the laptop is partitioned.

Does this mean I cannot format it and install a fresh Microsoft copy of win
xp or must I use gateway proprietary restore cd.

Also, is the bios usually on their hard drives?

Thanks

jeff

You can install a retail copy of XP if you wish, but make sure you
backup or download all the drivers before you start.

Like every other major vendor these days - from Toshiba to Sony to Dell,
Gateway is shipping a restore function on the hard drive, not a set of
restore media with the CDs - Microsoft made it clear through its pricing
policies it doesn't want OEMs shipping Windows CDs with new systems, so
most have discontinued the practice.

The BIOS is in flash memory, not on the hard drive.

jeff wrote:
> I have been looking at a Gateway 7330GZ forabout a grand.
>
> In the store looks like the hard drive on the laptop is partitioned.
>
> Does this mean I cannot format it and install a fresh Microsoft copy of win
> xp or must I use gateway proprietary restore cd.
>
> Also, is the bios usually on their hard drives?
>
> Thanks
>
> jeff

jeff

Edward...thanks.

I did notice though on Gateways website though that some new models have
driver support for "motherboards" while other models in the new 6000 series
dont.

So are you saying its possible to copy the drivers fro the partition on the
hard drive?

Jeff

Price tag of the computer seems to have at least some influence on whether or
not a Windows CD is included with a computer. One of my clients recently took
delivery on some fairly pricey Dell Precision 380 workstations, and Windows CDs
were in the box.

Excluding CDs from a product is also driven by the name brand companies' desire
to cut costs on the systems sold at bargain basement prices. It costs money to
produce all those CDs and it takes extra time and manpower to go through
shipping documents and make sure all the CDs are in the box... Ben

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:34:03 GMT, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>You can install a retail copy of XP if you wish, but make sure you
>backup or download all the drivers before you start.
>
>Like every other major vendor these days - from Toshiba to Sony to Dell,
>Gateway is shipping a restore function on the hard drive, not a set of
>restore media with the CDs - Microsoft made it clear through its pricing
>policies it doesn't want OEMs shipping Windows CDs with new systems, so
>most have discontinued the practice.
>
>The BIOS is in flash memory, not on the hard drive.
>

>jeff wrote:
>> I have been looking at a Gateway 7330GZ forabout a grand.
>>
>> In the store looks like the hard drive on the laptop is partitioned.
>>
>> Does this mean I cannot format it and install a fresh Microsoft copy of win
>> xp or must I use gateway proprietary restore cd.
>>
>> Also, is the bios usually on their hard drives?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> jeff

Dell has dropped the media from the Inspiron and Dimension, but kept it
with the Optiplex and Precision, by and large.

Ben Myers wrote:
> Price tag of the computer seems to have at least some influence on whether or
> not a Windows CD is included with a computer. One of my clients recently took
> delivery on some fairly pricey Dell Precision 380 workstations, and Windows CDs
> were in the box.
>
> Excluding CDs from a product is also driven by the name brand companies' desire
> to cut costs on the systems sold at bargain basement prices. It costs money to
> produce all those CDs and it takes extra time and manpower to go through
> shipping documents and make sure all the CDs are in the box... Ben
>
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:34:03 GMT, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>You can install a retail copy of XP if you wish, but make sure you
>>backup or download all the drivers before you start.
>>
>>Like every other major vendor these days - from Toshiba to Sony to Dell,
>>Gateway is shipping a restore function on the hard drive, not a set of
>>restore media with the CDs - Microsoft made it clear through its pricing
>>policies it doesn't want OEMs shipping Windows CDs with new systems, so
>>most have discontinued the practice.
>>
>>The BIOS is in flash memory, not on the hard drive.
>>

>>jeff wrote:
>>
>>>I have been looking at a Gateway 7330GZ forabout a grand.
>>>
>>>In the store looks like the hard drive on the laptop is partitioned.
>>>
>>>Does this mean I cannot format it and install a fresh Microsoft copy of win
>>>xp or must I use gateway proprietary restore cd.
>>>
>>>Also, is the bios usually on their hard drives?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>jeff

when i got my dell dimension in october they shipped windows xp media center
edition cd with it. Of course I paid almost $2000 for my computer so maybe
that mattered in the fact that they included cds with it.
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Dell has dropped the media from the Inspiron and Dimension, but kept it
> with the Optiplex and Precision, by and large.
>

> Ben Myers wrote:
>> Price tag of the computer seems to have at least some influence on
>> whether or
>> not a Windows CD is included with a computer. One of my clients recently
>> took
>> delivery on some fairly pricey Dell Precision 380 workstations, and
>> Windows CDs
>> were in the box.
>>
>> Excluding CDs from a product is also driven by the name brand companies'
>> desire
>> to cut costs on the systems sold at bargain basement prices. It costs
>> money to
>> produce all those CDs and it takes extra time and manpower to go through
>> shipping documents and make sure all the CDs are in the box... Ben On
>> Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:34:03 GMT, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>You can install a retail copy of XP if you wish, but make sure you backup
>>>or download all the drivers before you start.
>>>
>>>Like every other major vendor these days - from Toshiba to Sony to Dell,
>>>Gateway is shipping a restore function on the hard drive, not a set of
>>>restore media with the CDs - Microsoft made it clear through its pricing
>>>policies it doesn't want OEMs shipping Windows CDs with new systems, so
>>>most have discontinued the practice.
>>>
>>>The BIOS is in flash memory, not on the hard drive.

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah, but they offer you the OS CDs for an extra $10 if you want them.