windows xp sp2 start up problem

I have a 3 year old dell deminsion 8200 1.9gh with 512mb rdram running
windows xp sp2. I don't get any icons or the task bar when I stat up only
the wallpaper. I have run norton antivirus and both adaware and the
microsoft spyware software to no avail. I also noticed that my cpu is at 100%
useage. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
--
John53046
1 answer Last reply

    "=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBQYXJhZGlzZQ==?="
    <JohnParadise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I have a 3 year old dell deminsion 8200 1.9gh with 512mb rdram running
    > windows xp sp2. I don't get any icons or the task bar when I stat up
    > only the wallpaper. I have run norton antivirus and both adaware and
    > the microsoft spyware software to no avail. I also noticed that my cpu
    > is at 100% useage. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

    use the task manager to see what is using all of the CPU. if it is indeed
    explorer, you can kill that task in the processes tab, the re-start
    explorer by going to start-run, type in explorer and press return.

    that should bring the shell back up, with which you will be able to then
    further examine your system for other threats.

Microsoft Windows XP