Windows XP randomly rebooting with no blue screen.

August 2, 2005 12:36:00 PM

I have a 1 ghz Celeron system that has been running for several years now.
Just within the past two weeks, Windows XP randomly reboots. Sometimes this
occurs during startup on the Windows XP logo screen. Other times it reboots
after XP has been fully started and has been up for awhile. The only thing
that I can remember changing is applying the latest Windows Updates to XP in
about the same time frame when the problem started happening. Not sure if
it is related or not.

I disabled the Automatic Restart option under System settings in hopes that
I would be able to get a blue screen to give me some sort of indication as
to what is happening. Unfortunately, it still reboots the same way, with no
blue screen. The reboot occurs as if someone had pressed the reset switch.

So far I have investigated the following, but nothing so far has turned up:

1. Ran a parity check on RAM. No errors found.
2. Copied the hard drive image to another hard drive. Problem still
exists. Note, reboot never occurred during drive image copy under DOS using
Ghost.
3. Check CPU temperature. It is running at ~114 deg. F. CPU temp
warnings are currently off.
4. Let the system stay up with BIOS screen displayed. Reboot never
occurred.

The only thing I have not checked is the power supply, but I don't
understand why the reboot only occurs when Windows XP is running or starting
up. When I copied the hard drive under DOS, it never rebooted at all.

Part of me thinks this is hardware (CPU or power supply), but I can't
understand why the problem only exists when Windows XP is running.

I am out of ideas. Please help!

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com
-----------------------------------
August 2, 2005 12:36:01 PM

"Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote:

> I have a 1 ghz Celeron system that has been running for several years
> now.
> Just within the past two weeks, Windows XP randomly reboots.
> Sometimes this
> occurs during startup on the Windows XP logo screen. Other times it
> reboots
> after XP has been fully started and has been up for awhile. The only
> thing that I can remember changing is applying the latest Windows
> Updates to XP in
> about the same time frame when the problem started happening. Not
> sure if it is related or not.
>
> I disabled the Automatic Restart option under System settings in hopes
> that I would be able to get a blue screen to give me some sort of
> indication as
> to what is happening. Unfortunately, it still reboots the same way,
> with no
> blue screen. The reboot occurs as if someone had pressed the reset
> switch.
>
> So far I have investigated the following, but nothing so far has
> turned up:
>
> 1. Ran a parity check on RAM. No errors found.
> 2. Copied the hard drive image to another hard drive. Problem still
> exists. Note, reboot never occurred during drive image copy under DOS
> using Ghost.
> 3. Check CPU temperature. It is running at ~114 deg. F. CPU temp
> warnings are currently off.
> 4. Let the system stay up with BIOS screen displayed. Reboot never
> occurred.
>
> The only thing I have not checked is the power supply, but I don't
> understand why the reboot only occurs when Windows XP is running or
> starting
> up. When I copied the hard drive under DOS, it never rebooted at all.
>
> Part of me thinks this is hardware (CPU or power supply), but I can't
> understand why the problem only exists when Windows XP is running.
>
> I am out of ideas. Please help!

You've done some good troubleshooting. I would swap out the video card
with a known-working one first and see if that solves the problem. If
not, then swap out the psu.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers