loud fan

I have a Dell Dimension 4300, about 3 years old. I've noticed that the fan
noise, not bad at all when I first got the machine, has gotten really bad. I
mean, it's not sounding like the bearings are going or like anything's about
to fall apart, but it's just loud. Very annoying, as I like to listen to
music on the system.

What I want to ask is if it could do any good to open it up and try to put
some oil on the fan's bearings. Can they even be reached? Has anyone had
this problem and tried this? I don't want to go to all the trouble of
unhooking all the cables, bringing the system unit out of its little nook,
opening it up and trying to quiet the fan unless I feel there's a good
change it can make a difference. If anyone has tried to cope with this
problem in this way, I'd appreciate hearing about your success or lack
thereof.

What else can one do about a noisy fan? If I bought a new power supply,
there's nothing to guarantee that it would be quieter than what my current
fan has gotten to be, so that makes that route problematical as well.

thanks,
-dg

In article <lANbc.45900$BQ7.5406@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>,
dan_danboy@yahoo.com says...
> I have a Dell Dimension 4300, about 3 years old. I've noticed that the fan
> noise, not bad at all when I first got the machine, has gotten really bad. I
> mean, it's not sounding like the bearings are going or like anything's about
> to fall apart, but it's just loud. Very annoying, as I like to listen to
> music on the system.

I'd start by opening up the system case and checking for dust - this is
the usual culprit. You could buy a can of compressed air and give it a
good clean out. I do this to mine every few months because the fans do
tend to get well clogged with dust.

bullseye

I second that; dust can wear down fans (and their bearings?). I just
replaced my video card, fan and heat sink, and power supply. Tons and tons
of dust on the fins. System quieted down a bit since.

<snip>

Chances are it's not the power supply fan, but the large CPU fan on the back
of the case that has a green plastic air duct that directs air to the CPU.
Dell used fans especially in the 4300 and 4400 series that developed bearing
problems making them extremely "noisy" and did quite a bit of warranty
replacement. Chances are that's what you have.

First, take some compressed air in a can and clean the fan out thoroughly.
If that doesn't work, the fan you need is about $14 + shipping via Dell
parts if your machine is out of warranty. Takes about 2 minutes to install
on the back panel of the case. That should definitely solve your problem. No
big hurry to do so... the noisy fan you have will probably continue to run
as such for many years to come.

"dan glenn" <dan_danboy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a Dell Dimension 4300, about 3 years old. I've noticed that the fan
> noise, not bad at all when I first got the machine, has gotten really bad.
> mean, it's not sounding like the bearings are going or like anything's
about
> to fall apart, but it's just loud. Very annoying, as I like to listen to
> music on the system.

>"columbia51" columbia51@area51.com

>Chances are it's not the power supply fan, but the large CPU fan on the back
>of the case that has a green plastic air duct that directs air to the CPU.
>Dell used fans especially in the 4300 and 4400 series that developed bearing
>problems making them extremely "noisy" and did quite a bit of warranty
>replacement. Chances are that's what you have.

>First, take some compressed air in a can and clean the fan out thoroughly.
>If that doesn't work, the fan you need is about $14 + shipping via Dell
>parts if your machine is out of warranty. Takes about 2 minutes to install
>on the back panel of the case. That should definitely solve your problem. No
>big hurry to do so... the noisy fan you have will probably continue to run
>as such for many years to come.

What if the noisy fan is also causing a vibration that can be felt on the
outside of the case? I'm in the process of tracking down what I consider to be
a noise problem in my new Dimension 4600. I'm fairly sure it is the CPU fan. If
the noise is caused by vibrating won't it prematurely wear out the fan?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the Pros get more POWER!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm