Sign in with
Your question

Computer goes to sleep, but something is still running

Last response: in Windows 7
October 9, 2012 4:04:20 PM

I have a laptop with windows 7. whenever i close the lid, select sleep from the start menu, or push the power button to put it to sleep it does go to sleep because when i reopen the lid i have to push the power button to wake it up and re log in. but while it is asleep something is running in the background causing it to drain battery very quickly and get extremely hot, and since it is a laptop i transport it a lot in a sleeve or backpack which makes it get even hotter. A few times when i have taken it out i can smell melting plastic.

any idea what is going on and how to fix this?

More about : computer sleep running

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 4:11:05 PM

jda2631 said:
I have a laptop with windows 7. whenever i close the lid, select sleep from the start menu, or push the power button to put it to sleep it does go to sleep because when i reopen the lid i have to push the power button to wake it up and re log in. but while it is asleep something is running in the background causing it to drain battery very quickly and get extremely hot, and since it is a laptop i transport it a lot in a sleeve or backpack which makes it get even hotter. A few times when i have taken it out i can smell melting plastic.

any idea what is going on and how to fix this?

Putting the system into standby will use power as it saves the last session in memory so it can wake up much quicker. Setting the machine to hibernate will not use power nor produce heat as the last session is written to the hard drive. It is slower to recover from than standby but still quicker than a full boot from cold so to speak.
m
l
October 9, 2012 4:15:05 PM

so i should change the lid closing action to hibernate instead of sleep?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 4:16:53 PM

Ideally yes, though it won't wake up as quickly.
m
l
October 9, 2012 4:33:37 PM

thats fine, i put an ssd in it, so it will be a little quicker than with a std hdd. thanks for the info, i was thinking it was some program that wasnt shutting down causing it and didnt know how to go about finding out what it is
m
l
!