Mirrored Folders

I want to create a mirrored folder so that the same files can automatically
be saved in different places with out copy/ pasting or short cuts so that
that both folders stay up to date. Is this possible?
Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about mirrored folders

    "dmartinsmith" <dmartinsmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to create a mirrored folder so that the same files can automatically
    > be saved in different places with out copy/ pasting or short cuts so that
    > that both folders stay up to date. Is this possible?
    > Thanks.

    If you are using servers for the shares, yes. Investigate DFS.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003R2Beta2/Library/DFS2/8c4cf2e7-0b92-4643-acbd-abfa9f189d03.mspx

    Kerry

    No. What you need is a good auxiliary backup system
    independent of your drive.

    Examples:

    Maxtor OneTouch II
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB

    Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77

    Where to Buy
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    dmartinsmith wrote:

    > I want to create a mirrored folder so that the same files can automatically
    > be saved in different places with out copy/ pasting or short cuts so that
    > that both folders stay up to date. Is this possible?
    > Thanks.

    MS is coming out with a new powertoy for this called SyncToy. I believe
    it's in beta now. There is a document you can download to check it out.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49818cf1-2287-40ea-8a6f-57bd8695f23d&DisplayLang=en#requirements

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes its called backup, there are many different backup apps available, some
    will do a simple copy others more
    Ideally you would also need a second storage media

    In news:eeoPlY3lFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    DL <dl@spoofmail> typed:

    > Yes its called backup, there are many different backup apps
    > available,

    Well, he may have had backup in mind, but he asks about
    mirroring, which is very different from backup.

    Mirroring (Raid 1) is a technique used for a situation in which
    downtime can't be tolerated. If, for example, you're running an
    airline reservation system, you don't have time to restore
    backups; the customer goes elsewhere while you restore. It
    creates a mirrored drive and lets the computer automatically and
    seamlessly change to using the mirror drive if the primary one
    fails. When you mirror, you still need a separate backup, because
    relying on a mirror leaves you vulnerable to most of the common
    dangers to your drive(s), such as severe power glitches, nearby
    lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

    Secure backup needs to be on media stored externally to the
    computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the
    life of your business depends on your data) there should be
    multiple copies of the media, with at least one copy stored
    off-site.

    If dmartinsmith is truly interested in mirroring, he should do a
    Google search on Raid1 and read up on it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > some will do a simple copy others more
    > Ideally you would also need a second storage media
    >
    > "dmartinsmith" <dmartinsmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in
    > message
    >> I want to create a mirrored folder so that the same files can
    >> automatically be saved in different places with out copy/
    >> pasting or
    >> short cuts so that that both folders stay up to date. Is this
    >> possible?
    >> Thanks.

    DMARTIN

    Yes you can do this by creating a junction link from a source folder on any
    one of your disks to e.g a folder on your desktop. The folder on your
    desktop will be a mirror of the source folder and transparent to programs.

    Briefly, you choose your existing folder on your hard disk or your local
    network, create a standard shortcut to it on your desktop, make a new blank
    folder on your desktop named ???_Mirror [the ? for the name you want]. Drag
    the shortcut into the folder, do some junction link magic in the command
    prompt and you have your mirror.

    I have not spelt out the magic here because this technique is risky for
    inexperienced users.

    There is a write-up about it on pp 176/180 of David A. Karp's book "Windows
    XP Annoyances for Geeks" from O'Reilly and you can download a tool to do it
    from:

    www.rekenwonder.com
    --
    Uncle John

    Here's the easiest way IMO - Second Copy. It's $30, you can just configure
    it and it'll work. There's a trial version. http://www.secondcopy.com/. I
    use it to back up laptops to external hard drives for the usual purpose, and
    in case the laptop disappears while the user is out of the office.

    That SyncToy powertool from MS looks promising too, depending on when they
    issue the release version.

    Dave Nickason [SBS MVP] wrote:
    > Here's the easiest way IMO - Second Copy. It's $30, you can just configure
    > it and it'll work. There's a trial version. http://www.secondcopy.com/. I
    > use it to back up laptops to external hard drives for the usual purpose, and
    > in case the laptop disappears while the user is out of the office.
    >
    > That SyncToy powertool from MS looks promising too, depending on when they
    > issue the release version.
    >

    > "dmartinsmith" <dmartinsmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to create a mirrored folder so that the same files can automatically
    > > be saved in different places with out copy/ pasting or short cuts so that
    > > that both folders stay up to date. Is this possible?
    > > Thanks.

    Microsoft has had Robocopy.exe since NT4. It will mirror directories
    among other things. It can be scheduled too. Its usually been furnished
    as part of the NT Resource Kit but is now a free download in the
    resource kit for XP Server 2003 I think.

    LJB

Microsoft Windows XP