Courier vs. Optima

G

Hello All!
Yes, I am a newbie here, but I do have a question that really makes me wonder. Since I am in the market for getting an external modem (where I am stationed, it's nearly hopeless for broadband, and really I am not that interested in it, and I do prefer external model diagnostic LED's) I really do want a Corporate class modem (Probably think I am crazy for wanting to spend out a lot of money for just an analog modem)
And the only two currently right now, are the USR Courier 56k Lines and Hayes/Zoom Optima 56k lines of business modems.
Now seeing that in the current Comdex article, USR might be in the works for the V.92 firmware upgrade for their Courier V.Everything modem. But I do like the Optima a little more and would rather purchase that. But if USR is planning this out, I would rather go for the Courier. If neither company doesn't follow through, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on which modem you think is better.
When you look at the Optima, they state the higher throughput rate (even though the serial port couldn't support this much) and of course the long standing Hayes name, AutoSync, etc etc.
But on the USR side, there is the possible v.92 upgrade and the V.Everything/V.Everywhere technology plus better connectivity through poor lines conditions etc. etc.

With that. It would be great to hear some opinions! Thanks

Mario

"There are no problems....only solutions!"
Kevin Flynn - Walt Disney's Tron

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I've actually dealt with both of these models, believe it or not. My pick would have to be the USR Courier V. Everything. USR has been around for a very long time and they typical dominate in stability and performance. Both the Courier and the Optima should be able to handle DTE (serial) speeds of 230,000, but it won't matter since your talking 56k here. The V. Everyting Courier is compabitle with everything and has the ability to down shift and up shift with line noise. You never get kicked off and always have the highest possible speed. Typically handshaking can take less time with the courier too, especially if you add some extra init string values.

I believe USR has already add V.92 firmware for the latest V. Everything Couriers. If there ever arises a V.925 or something, you can be assured that USR will back they're product....and the firmware upgrade is always free, unlike some other companies.

The Optima is a great modem, don't get me wrong, but in real-world situations I would lean with the Courier. I had a Courier V. Everything for awhile and then ended up buying 10 more from a local ISP and reselling them on eBay :) One of my friends bought one because of the praise I gave it and he's been happy since.

Anyway, I think which ever you go with you'll be fine. Dial-Up is such a standard now-a-days that, as long as your not using a software modem, you'll be ok.

TRENDING THREADS