HELP With BIOS Update

I would like some advice on updating BIOS in Inspiron 1150.
The laptop has NO floppy drive.
The following page lists various packages to update:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R103929&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen

I formated a USB pen drive using HP's utility and copied what is
described as the "non-packaged" 1150_A07.EXE to the usb pen.

I am wondering if I am safe to proceed with the flash.
I did considerable research but this only raised more questions.

1- Is there a page describing flashing using a usb pen drive in
detail?
2- I read where it is not a good idea to use the "hard drive" method,
is this accurate?
3-I believe that Dell has a formating utility for usb pen drives, but
could not locate it, either on their site or on the CD that came with
the laptop. Could someone post a link please. I feel more confortable
formating pen drive with a Dell utility for a delicate BIOS flash.

Thanks to all who help.

gg <noway@hotmail.com> wrote:
>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R103929&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen

Why not use the "hard drive" version to update without floppy or CD?

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:06:54 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

>gg <noway@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R103929&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen
>
>Why not use the "hard drive" version to update without floppy or CD?
I have read that it is best not to upgrade from the hard drive.

I ws hoping for some informed opinions regarding this method, as well
as info on a few other details, as outlined in my original post.

gg wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:06:54 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
>
> >gg <noway@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R103929&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen
> >
> >Why not use the "hard drive" version to update without floppy or CD?
> I have read that it is best not to upgrade from the hard drive.
>
> I ws hoping for some informed opinions regarding this method, as well
> as info on a few other details, as outlined in my original post.

While some (all?) of the older BIOS updates could only be done from
a floppy, most of the more recent updates can also be done from a
hard drive.

Check the documentation.

Notan

Always bear in mind that the "hard drive" flash updates do their thing running
in the Windows environment. Windows, by definition, is pretty flaky. What if
Windows decides to lock up when a flash BIOS update is running? You've been
warned.

I do flash BIOS updates from DOS/floppy whenever possible... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> Always bear in mind that the "hard drive" flash updates do their thing running
> in the Windows environment. Windows, by definition, is pretty flaky. What if
> Windows decides to lock up when a flash BIOS update is running? You've been
> warned.
>
> I do flash BIOS updates from DOS/floppy whenever possible... Ben Myers
>
> <snip>

I'm with you, but, in this case, this doesn't appear to be an option.

The safest (pun intended) way to do a hard drive BIOS update is in
Safe Mode, with as few "extras" loaded as possible.

Notan

Ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>Always bear in mind that the "hard drive" flash updates do their thing running
>in the Windows environment.

Are you sure about this? It looks to me like it reboots to DOS, does
the update, and then reboots to Windows. I use the hard drive BIOS
updates all the time, and have never seen a problem (or any sign of
Windows when the BIOS update is in progress.)

There are apparently two types of flash updates, those which run under Windows
(UGH) and those which operate as you've stated. Hey, if the system reboots to
DOS (or even Linux) to do a BIOS update, I have no problem with that. Of
course, it would be extremely useful to have documentation (a readme file) that
explains how the process works, BEFORE attempting to do so.

All of this has come about because there are many systems sold now without
floppies, because there is not a convenient way for garden variety consumers to
create bootable media containing the flash updater, and because many people are
now somewhat phobic of software that does not run under Windows, i.e. old timey
command line stuff... Ben Myers

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:15:20 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

>Ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>Always bear in mind that the "hard drive" flash updates do their thing running
>>in the Windows environment.
>
>Are you sure about this? It looks to me like it reboots to DOS, does
>the update, and then reboots to Windows. I use the hard drive BIOS
>updates all the time, and have never seen a problem (or any sign of
>Windows when the BIOS update is in progress.)

I just updated my new-to-me GX260 last night. Runs in Windows, reboots to
DOS, flashes, reloads Windows. I've never seen a Dell that actually flashed
from Windows.

Tom
> There are apparently two types of flash updates, those which run under
> Windows
> (UGH) and those which operate as you've stated. Hey, if the system
> reboots to
> DOS (or even Linux) to do a BIOS update, I have no problem with that. Of
> course, it would be extremely useful to have documentation (a readme file)
> that
> explains how the process works, BEFORE attempting to do so.
>
> All of this has come about because there are many systems sold now without
> floppies, because there is not a convenient way for garden variety
> consumers to
> create bootable media containing the flash updater, and because many
> people are
> now somewhat phobic of software that does not run under Windows, i.e. old
> timey
> command line stuff... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:15:20 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
>
>>Ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>>Always bear in mind that the "hard drive" flash updates do their thing
>>>running
>>>in the Windows environment.
>>
>>Are you sure about this? It looks to me like it reboots to DOS, does
>>the update, and then reboots to Windows. I use the hard drive BIOS
>>updates all the time, and have never seen a problem (or any sign of
>>Windows when the BIOS update is in progress.)

Dell has done it the right way, then... Ben

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:02:33 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>I just updated my new-to-me GX260 last night. Runs in Windows, reboots to
>DOS, flashes, reloads Windows. I've never seen a Dell that actually flashed
>from Windows.
>
>Tom
>> There are apparently two types of flash updates, those which run under
>> Windows
>> (UGH) and those which operate as you've stated. Hey, if the system
>> reboots to
>> DOS (or even Linux) to do a BIOS update, I have no problem with that. Of
>> course, it would be extremely useful to have documentation (a readme file)
>> that
>> explains how the process works, BEFORE attempting to do so.
>>
>> All of this has come about because there are many systems sold now without
>> floppies, because there is not a convenient way for garden variety
>> consumers to
>> create bootable media containing the flash updater, and because many
>> people are
>> now somewhat phobic of software that does not run under Windows, i.e. old
>> timey
>> command line stuff... Ben Myers

>>>Are you sure about this? It looks to me like it reboots to DOS, does
>>>the update, and then reboots to Windows. I use the hard drive BIOS
>>>updates all the time, and have never seen a problem (or any sign of
>>>Windows when the BIOS update is in progress.)

Thanks to all who answered, it seems that using the hard drive method
is OK. Would still like to know more about USB key methods for
"acedemic" curiosity.

Only issue remaining is link to DELL utility that formats USB key.

Thanks to all

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:38:22 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Dell has done it the right way, then... Ben
>
>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:02:33 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>I just updated my new-to-me GX260 last night. Runs in Windows, reboots to
>>DOS, flashes, reloads Windows. I've never seen a Dell that actually flashed
>>from Windows.
>>
>>Tom
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> There are apparently two types of flash updates, those which run under
>>> Windows
>>> (UGH) and those which operate as you've stated. Hey, if the system
>>> reboots to
>>> DOS (or even Linux) to do a BIOS update, I have no problem with that. Of
>>> course, it would be extremely useful to have documentation (a readme file)
>>> that
>>> explains how the process works, BEFORE attempting to do so.
>>>
>>> All of this has come about because there are many systems sold now without
>>> floppies, because there is not a convenient way for garden variety
>>> consumers to
>>> create bootable media containing the flash updater, and because many
>>> people are
>>> now somewhat phobic of software that does not run under Windows, i.e. old
>>> timey
>>> command line stuff... Ben Myers

If the USB key is visible as a device on your system, it should be seen as an
unformatted hard drive. You should be able to go to the disk management part of
the XP/2000 Administrative Tools, and be able to partition it and format it. At
least, that's the way other USB flash memory devices work.

Making it bootable is a different challenge in the XP/2000 world. First, the
flash device would need to be formatted with FAT32. Next, the easiest thing to
do would be to do a SYS command to the device under a Windows 98 system. Then
you could boot to the DOS command prompt. But that is easier said than done.
Not sure how to do it... Ben Myers