What is cisvc.exe??

RE: Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

Sometimes my disk drive just keeps "clicking" kind of like a tick tick tick
tick.

When I run Task Manager, it seems like the process cisvc.exe is running and
it keeps doing this for a very long time.

It seems to be doing it a lot more lately.

What is this and is there something I can do about it?

(Coincidentally I have recently added memory and memtest indicates that the
memory might be bad-- would this have anything to do with it).

Mel

MB_ wrote:

> RE: Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> Sometimes my disk drive just keeps "clicking" kind of like a tick tick tick
> tick.
>
> When I run Task Manager, it seems like the process cisvc.exe is running and
> it keeps doing this for a very long time.
>
> It seems to be doing it a lot more lately.
>
> What is this and is there something I can do about it?
>
> (Coincidentally I have recently added memory and memtest indicates that the
> memory might be bad-- would this have anything to do with it).

Once again, Google is your friend... A search produced thousands of hits,
the first one being:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/cisvc/

Notan

I have also googled it. Quite a few folks seem to recommend disabling this
hog (just the opposite of what the site you alluded to says).

So, it is confusing and I was wondering what folks here think.

Mel

MB_ wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I have also googled it. Quite a few folks seem to recommend disabling this
> hog (just the opposite of what the site you alluded to says).
>
> So, it is confusing and I was wondering what folks here think.

For whatever it's worth, I've got it on my systems (XP Pro).

Notan

Notan wrote:

> MB_ wrote:
>
>>RE: Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>>
>>Sometimes my disk drive just keeps "clicking" kind of like a tick tick tick
>>tick.
>>
>>When I run Task Manager, it seems like the process cisvc.exe is running and
>>it keeps doing this for a very long time.
>>
>>It seems to be doing it a lot more lately.
>>
>>What is this and is there something I can do about it?
>>
>>(Coincidentally I have recently added memory and memtest indicates that the
>>memory might be bad-- would this have anything to do with it).
>

> Once again, Google is your friend... A search produced thousands of hits,
> the first one being:
>
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/cisvc/

I have found Black Viper's site very helpful with XP problems - he says
cisvc is XP's indexing service & recommends disabling it. The Path to
Executable for Indexing Service is C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe - it's
disabled on my computers.