Optiplex 745 GPU upgrade?

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
My friend is getting an old Optiplex 745 small form (not ultra small) with integrated graphics. Is it at all possible to throw a low profile HD 5450 in there? From what I've read, it doesn't require being connected to the PSU.

Physical room might be a problem in the SFF cases. Open the side panel and take a look and do some measurements. This will provide a better answer than guessing. The PSU is 275 Watts - this is not supportive of discrete graphics cards of any sizable capacity.

The maximum power that will be pulled by the GeForce GT 220 is 58 Watts. The 275 Watts PSU will not be adequate for this card. At best, it will be marginal.

I have an Optiplex 745 SMT and it has a 305 Watts PSU - just adequate for a small graphics card, 256 MB

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
HI, there

I have the same 305watt PSU in my optiplex 745 and i am running an ATI 4650 with no problems and using the overdrive facility it overclocks well.

The problem you have is not power but the fact the small form does NOT have a PCIexpress port. It only has a PCI and this needs to be a low profile card.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/512mb-asus-hd-4350-silent-pci-e-20-(x16)-1600mhz-gddr2-gpu-600mhz-80-cores-d-sub-dvi-i-hdmi?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

This is about as good as your going to get in this machine im afraid. It will play games but it wont be a very good experience.

Sorry, and try to get him to not buy this PC. Let me know if he has any other options and i can tell you whats best from his selection if any.

Cheers

I have an Optiplex 745 Desktop (size between SFF and Minitower)
If you can get a HD5670 to fit (as above poster says measure it out)
It will work with the 275W PSU and the SFF does have PCI-Express
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op745/en/UG_en/sff_spec.htm#wp1133451
to to SFF 745 specs
Ignore what it says about 25w
I have a heavily OCd HD4650 in there and that draws about 65 watts at max
and I also did a BSEL Pin Mod and OCd E4300 from 1.8ghz 800fsb to 2.4ghz 1066mhz FSB
Now I am waiting in the mail for an E4500 which will go from 2.4ghz 800fsb
to 2.93 (3.0ghz) 1066mhz

BTW Dell PSUs are rated at continuos wattage not max like many aftermarket PSUs
you can add about 50-75watts on to rating

You can get a 375watt with 6pin pwr connector out of a XPS 420 and it fits the 745
They are cheap on Ebay

A HD4670 or HD5670 would be wise choices
Also the GT240 is another recommended choice for this tower
A former Dell tech runs one in his.

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I think I'm missing something here. If it doesn't have a PCIe port, why are you linking to a PCIe product?

Also, according to the tech sheet, the SFF has 1 port for a low profile PCIe x16: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

Can someone clarify this?

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
With AREA-51 Reopened are those new MX11/MX14/MX18 Churning out?
I maxed one of those MX14's to $2800 Looks good for about 2 years, than worth it to trade in for newer series!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

All you need is those Buschi Lights beer with the chill-o-meter on the can!
1 for you and 1 for cooling the System Internally Just replace it when the chill-o-meter is low with another can!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Why Not get a power supply upgrade also, or wait for .28nm Radeon 7000 Die shrink should lower power consumption and make itm ore greene nergy savings! What are the specs of that Dell Optiplex? Worth Spending extra money into it? What CPU Socket and Ram Limitations?

Yes you could use HD5450 in there no problem :)
I read post too quickly to give good answer in prior posts

For future reference
in a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop slim low profile
a MSI HD 5670 PD-512 low profile with dual fan assembly will NOT fit without modification

I had to cut the fan assembly in half with diagonal cutters
and make a single fan assembly out of it to fit it in the tower
There goes my warranty LOL

the 745 desktop is long enough but
the fan assembly hit the CPU heatsink and fan

Fair warning for Optiplex 745 owners
works good though
idling right now at 44c in a 72F house
maxed out on OCCT gpu stress test at 74c with OC at 850core/1050 memory

steven241

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I can confirm that statement. I installed it a few hours ago with Dell Optiplex 745 Small Form Factor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882

Not sure how well it will do over time, it has no fan on it, and question if a fan is important.

It boosted Windows Experience Index from 3.4 to 4.7

Graphics is 4.7 and Gaming graphics is 6.1

I fits in the Black Socket (PCI) with Blue tab, I did not think it would fit in the white socket.

I had to remove the VGA cable, connected to the board, after unscrewing the full height, to install the low profile tab, use only DVI and HDMI part of the board.

Works only with the HDMI port with my Sylvania Model LC195SLX Combination TV - Monitor

This HD 5450 was recommend by a review in Newegg by someone using it. has a rebate at the moment bring cost down to $19.95

Apr 12, 2012

Did you need to upgrade the PSU for the 5450? Thanks a lot.

steven241

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Did not change the PSU.

A comment about what I did change:

I am using Optiplex 745 SFF Small From Factor I bought it used, I needed to buy what was missing.

I found that a Solid State Drive works better in a Optiplex 745 SFF, I had problems with the 745 until I found the right SSD, a newer SATA III SSD. It may be different, depending on the SSD you buy, or the computer, yet with same SSD the 755 SFF and 760 SFF would forget there was a drive there sometimes, just reset computer to default in F2, or bios setting, or make sure its top item in boot order in bios setting.

The things I changed are:

1.) buy Solid State Drive - much faster and less current draw(for other things)
2.) buy adapter 2.5" to 3.5"
3.) buy the caddy with fan. Best to buy this fan I did - directed to Heatsink below it
4.) buy the floppy drive that fits in the blank space.
5.) buy a Blu-Ray writer/player UJ220 PATA Drive - different power supply has PATA & SATA
Or 6.) buy a SATA Blu-Ray writer/player - with different power supply this one is PATA
Or 7.) keep Optical drive and same power supply - Graphics of GeForce GT-610 29 watts Max

With it placed on its side, the word DELL upright, I use the fan on the caddy to move some air in the surrounding area. It works great after years of use. The fan I found - a fraction of a watt - is silent and moves enough air over the Heatsink below SSD in Caddy (SSD Container)

There is not much clearance between caddy and Graphics Card - yet really is enough for what I use and more under the caddy. I am not sure of other graphics cards to fit in that small of a space, I just used someone's recommend - discovered more - if something better not sure.

The only time I can hear it running - is total silence and sitting next to it, the sound is from the fan - I changed to put more air on CPU Heatsink - therefore its quiet if you like that level of sound - would be quieter if that fan not changed. Took a lot of trial and error to find the right fans to quiet enough and consume less power - That NVida GeForce GT 610 is great.