Windows Genuine Advantage, How to get rid of it!!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:

1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...

Richard
www.neominds.com.mx
20 answers Last reply
More about windows genuine advantage
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yes but it does update your windows version, so you wont have security
    matters. The best solution is to buy the windows key so you dont have
    to do anything at all...
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Good tip, but that just disables it as an extension to internet explorer

    The activex control would still be alive and kicking on your machine, and
    could be utilised by any other program running

    Jon

    "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1123002852.886449.13690@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    >A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
    > famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
    > minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
    > control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
    > your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
    >
    > 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
    > 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
    > 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
    > 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
    > 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
    >
    > Richard
    > www.neominds.com.mx
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1123002852.886449.13690@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    >A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
    > famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
    > minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
    > control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
    > your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
    >
    > 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
    > 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
    > 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
    > 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
    > 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
    >
    > Richard
    > www.neominds.com.mx

    For now but it probably won't work before the next update with the new
    Genuine We Don't Trust Our PAYING Customers Disadvantage coming out.

    This is one of the stupidest PR move MS has ever made.

    --
    Alias

    Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage

    The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft implemented
    to scan computers to
    determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing downloads,
    has apparently
    already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted into the
    address bar on the
    browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the copy of
    the OS on the system
    is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
    peterk

    --
    It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    the problem
    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    news:ec44Ga4lFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >
    > "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:1123002852.886449.13690@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    >>A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
    >> famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
    >> minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
    >> control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
    >> your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
    >>
    >> 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
    >> 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
    >> 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
    >> 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
    >> 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
    >>
    >> Richard
    >> www.neominds.com.mx
    >
    > For now but it probably won't work before the next update with the new
    > Genuine We Don't Trust Our PAYING Customers Disadvantage coming out.
    >
    > This is one of the stupidest PR move MS has ever made.
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote

    > Yes but it does update your windows version, so you wont have security
    > matters. The best solution is to buy the windows key so you dont have
    > to do anything at all...

    Being as you didn't include the message to which you are responding, it
    can't be known who or what you're talking about. Many people with legit XPs
    have been told by Genuine Windows Ripoff that their Windows are not legit so
    what you say, well, isn't always true.

    Alias
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Why MS needs to know the name you give to your computer (and a currently
    blank field for your username) when you validate (sent to
    stats.update.microsoft.com) is also another mystery....

    Jon


    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    news:euvWwo4lFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >
    > "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> Yes but it does update your windows version, so you wont have security
    >> matters. The best solution is to buy the windows key so you dont have
    >> to do anything at all...
    >
    > Being as you didn't include the message to which you are responding, it
    > can't be known who or what you're talking about. Many people with legit
    > XPs have been told by Genuine Windows Ripoff that their Windows are not
    > legit so what you say, well, isn't always true.
    >
    > Alias
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    peterk wrote:
    > Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage
    >
    > The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft implemented
    > to scan computers to
    > determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing downloads,
    > has apparently
    > already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted into the
    > address bar on the
    > browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the copy of
    > the OS on the system
    > is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
    > http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
    > peterk

    Peter, that is not a hack, it is just a javascript that does the same
    thing as I explained in the top message how to disable this active-x
    plugin but it is for people who dont know how to follow those steps.

    But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    expensive and you have much more fun with it...


    Richard
    www.neominds.com.mx
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    NeoMinds wrote:
    > peterk wrote:
    >> Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage
    >>
    >> The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft
    >> implemented to scan computers to
    >> determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing
    >> downloads, has apparently
    >> already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted
    >> into the address bar on the
    >> browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the
    >> copy of the OS on the system
    >> is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
    >> http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
    >> peterk
    >
    > Peter, that is not a hack, it is just a javascript that does the same
    > thing as I explained in the top message how to disable this active-x
    > plugin but it is for people who dont know how to follow those steps.
    >
    > But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    > expensive and you have much more fun with it...
    >
    >
    > Richard
    > www.neominds.com.mx

    Why the F*#K should anyone buy anything more from MS?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Why bother with it at all?

    Just set your windows update settings to notify rather than install and then
    download the
    updates from the Windows Catalogue - no need for validation

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    Jon


    "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1123040231.909617.221540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > peterk wrote:
    >> Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage
    >>
    >> The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft
    >> implemented
    >> to scan computers to
    >> determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing
    >> downloads,
    >> has apparently
    >> already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted into
    >> the
    >> address bar on the
    >> browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the copy
    >> of
    >> the OS on the system
    >> is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
    >> http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
    >> peterk
    >
    > Peter, that is not a hack, it is just a javascript that does the same
    > thing as I explained in the top message how to disable this active-x
    > plugin but it is for people who dont know how to follow those steps.
    >
    > But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    > expensive and you have much more fun with it...
    >
    >
    > Richard
    > www.neominds.com.mx
    >
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
    >
    > But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    > expensive and you have much more fun with it...
    >
    >
    > Richard

    Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.

    Alias
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    news:%23av2sjBmFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >
    > "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
    >>
    >> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    >> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
    >>
    >>
    >> Richard
    >
    > Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.

    Why, are you using a $50 monitor or something?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "SP Goodman" <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OfwHe9BmFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > news:%23av2sjBmFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >> "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
    >>>
    >>> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    >>> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Richard
    >>
    >> Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.
    >
    > Why, are you using a $50 monitor or something?

    Retail XP Home Upgrade in Spain (where I live) goes for $USD 375.48 so, no,
    I am not using a $50 monitor. In fact, I have a TFT monitor that cost less
    than Retail XP Home Upgrade. Full retail is not available anywhere at any
    price here.

    That said, my OEM XP Pro is cheaper than my monitor (but the same price as a
    CRT monitor, USD$150), which is the reason I wrote, "***most*** people's
    PC".

    Alias
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    news:eAU%231ECmFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >
    > "SP Goodman" <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:OfwHe9BmFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >> news:%23av2sjBmFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>>
    >>> "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
    >>>>
    >>>> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
    >>>> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Richard
    >>>
    >>> Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.
    >>
    >> Why, are you using a $50 monitor or something?
    >
    > Retail XP Home Upgrade in Spain (where I live) goes for $USD 375.48 so,
    > no, I am not using a $50 monitor. In fact, I have a TFT monitor that cost
    > less than Retail XP Home Upgrade. Full retail is not available anywhere at
    > any price here.

    Wow, and I thought the UK had criminal overpricing on imports as a part of
    the economy!

    > That said, my OEM XP Pro is cheaper than my monitor (but the same price as
    > a CRT monitor, USD$150), which is the reason I wrote, "***most*** people's
    > PC".
    >
    > Alias
    >
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I tend to agree with SP Goodman's thoughts.

    I reject the notion that a program that has already been vetted by the
    activation process needs to be re-verified. Every statement I see coming out
    of them is such a shameless collection of lies you'd think it came from a
    politician. Benefits, advantages, proetection, my rear end. Each sentence
    that has come out of their weasel-faced lawyers and managers has been a
    bigger, slimier lie than the last.

    This is going to cause people to stop patching. When that happens and the
    next major vulerability in their amatuer-hour kernel code pops up, it will
    run rampant on these unpatched machines.

    It will be then be free to spread endlessly into corporate and government
    computers because it will have a now-limitless supply of unpatched machines
    to draw upon. In the middle of an ongoing struggle against a dangerous
    Islamist insurgency, Microsoft is undercutting the security efforts of
    governments and companies everywhere. Isn't giving aid and comfort to your
    country's enemies in time of war treason? Their self-centered greed is
    putting this country at risk, and the executives responsible for this charade
    should be shipped off to the brig for trial by military tribunal if it is
    ever shown that they aided or abetted terrorism by their actions. I'll bet
    there'd be no lack of volunteers for that firing squad.

    Their actions show such an intense ignorance of what is going on in the
    world that it is scarcely believable that they were designed by creatures
    that walk upright. You think they may have ventured in to that whole Dr.
    Moreau thing? Maybe they have crafted a lawyerweasel or a vpchimp to come up
    with things like this.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    My bad. This nearly incomprehensible UI led me to reply to the wrong poster.
    THis should have been in reply to kurttrail.

    I don't think they ever bothered to test this on a notebook. You can either
    see the message or you can see the thread, but not both. Cool design, I
    wonder why no one else uses it. ;-)

    "New Linux user" wrote:

    > I tend to agree with SP Goodman's thoughts.
    >
    > I reject the notion that a program that has already been vetted by the
    > activation process needs to be re-verified. Every statement I see coming out
    > of them is such a shameless collection of lies you'd think it came from a
    > politician. Benefits, advantages, proetection, my rear end. Each sentence
    > that has come out of their weasel-faced lawyers and managers has been a
    > bigger, slimier lie than the last.
    >
    > This is going to cause people to stop patching. When that happens and the
    > next major vulerability in their amatuer-hour kernel code pops up, it will
    > run rampant on these unpatched machines.
    >
    > It will be then be free to spread endlessly into corporate and government
    > computers because it will have a now-limitless supply of unpatched machines
    > to draw upon. In the middle of an ongoing struggle against a dangerous
    > Islamist insurgency, Microsoft is undercutting the security efforts of
    > governments and companies everywhere. Isn't giving aid and comfort to your
    > country's enemies in time of war treason? Their self-centered greed is
    > putting this country at risk, and the executives responsible for this charade
    > should be shipped off to the brig for trial by military tribunal if it is
    > ever shown that they aided or abetted terrorism by their actions. I'll bet
    > there'd be no lack of volunteers for that firing squad.
    >
    > Their actions show such an intense ignorance of what is going on in the
    > world that it is scarcely believable that they were designed by creatures
    > that walk upright. You think they may have ventured in to that whole Dr.
    > Moreau thing? Maybe they have crafted a lawyerweasel or a vpchimp to come up
    > with things like this.
    >
    >
    >
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:15:23 -0700, "New Linux user"
    <NewLinuxuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My bad. This nearly incomprehensible UI led me to reply to the wrong poster.
    > THis should have been in reply to kurttrail.

    Doesn't it really make you feel like a prime fool when you verbally abuse
    the wrong person? I mean, verbally abusing ANYONE should make you feel
    like cold, hard s**t. Trying to blame your faux pas on an OS or program
    and their creators is even worse than your trying to blame all the ills of
    the world on corporations.


    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.
    =======================================================
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    NeoMinds wrote:
    > A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
    > famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
    > minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
    > control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
    > your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
    >
    > 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
    > 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
    > 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
    > 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
    > 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
    >
    > Richard
    > www.neominds.com.mx
    >
    Hi

    I prefer the more direct approach...

    regsvr32 /u "%systemroot%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll"

    Joseph
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:19:41 +0100, "Glen" <homer@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Great now microsoft will fix this so none of usd can update our computers.
    >You should keep thease workaounds quiet.

    Those workaround some people mention are wrong. But
    http://help.bigfix.com is not. The reason for this it has been
    preinstalled on a lot of machine and I think they also have a contract
    with Microsoft to link them to the direct download. Plus bixfig also
    deal with big companies as well.

    Microsoft needs to fix the wga problem on legally installed systems
    oem or otherwise.


    Greg Ro
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Not really. If you had bothered to read the rant, you might have noticed
    that I was ripping on M$FT, not the poster, so I don't feel too bad about it.
    I was agreeing with someone, so what I was giving the poster was proper
    credit, not criticism. How bad do you feel regarding your lack of reading
    comprehension?

    And this UI is still a total piece of kr*p. Every other forum on the planet
    uses essentially the same format, but M$FT must have decided that the
    standard layout was too familiar, efficient, and usable, so they redesigned
    it into a monstrosity that is essentially unusable on a 1024*768 laptop
    screen. Works on a 1280*1024 screen OK, but on the smaller screen key parts
    of the form keep running off the right side of the display. Like the message
    window. When the message is not visible it is not readily apparent that the
    blue highlight bar got mouse-scrolled to a different message. There is not
    enough room on the smaller display for a three-column format. That must be
    why everyone else uses a two-column format with stacked frames in the
    columns. Just like Outlook Express. This is aggravated by the posting form,
    which even with the most current IE6 version has to be maximized when running
    at 1024*768 to get the word wrap function to work, and that obscures
    everything else on the screen.

    UI's can be desiged well, or they can be designed badly. This one was
    designed badly and your ad-hominem attack is not going to change that.

    I don't blame all of the ills of this world on corporations - there was no
    implied criticism of all corporations in my post, just one, M$FT. I think
    the blame for all the ills of the world has to be shared equally between
    corporations and stupid people.


    "Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:15:23 -0700, "New Linux user"
    > <NewLinuxuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >My bad. This nearly incomprehensible UI led me to reply to the wrong poster.
    > > THis should have been in reply to kurttrail.
    >
    > Doesn't it really make you feel like a prime fool when you verbally abuse
    > the wrong person? I mean, verbally abusing ANYONE should make you feel
    > like cold, hard s**t. Trying to blame your faux pas on an OS or program
    > and their creators is even worse than your trying to blame all the ills of
    > the world on corporations.
    >
    >
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Please reply to the original thread.
    > If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    > from my email address before sending.
    > =======================================================
    >
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    How do you do this in Server 2003 where IE has no "Manage Add-Ons" menu
    selection?...


    NeoMinds wrote:
    > *A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to
    > the
    > famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
    > minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
    > control this type of security. So in case you want to continue
    > keeping
    > your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
    >
    > 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
    > 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
    > 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
    > 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
    > 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being
    > checked...
    >
    > Richard
    > www.neominds.com.mx *


    --
    slimline
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1767924.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Browsers Windows XP