Windows Genuine Advantage, How to get rid of it!!!

A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:

1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...

Richard
www.neominds.com.mx

Yes but it does update your windows version, so you wont have security
matters. The best solution is to buy the windows key so you dont have
to do anything at all...

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Good tip, but that just disables it as an extension to internet explorer

The activex control would still be alive and kicking on your machine, and
could be utilised by any other program running

Jon

"NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
> famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
> minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
> control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
> your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
>
> 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
> 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
> 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
> 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
> 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
>
> Richard
> www.neominds.com.mx

Alias

"NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
> famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
> minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
> control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
> your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
>
> 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
> 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
> 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
> 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
> 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
>
> Richard
> www.neominds.com.mx

For now but it probably won't work before the next update with the new
Genuine We Don't Trust Our PAYING Customers Disadvantage coming out.

This is one of the stupidest PR move MS has ever made.

--
Alias

Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage

The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft implemented
to scan computers to
determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing downloads,
has apparently
already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted into the
address bar on the
browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the copy of
the OS on the system
is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
peterk

the problem
"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
>> famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
>> minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
>> control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
>> your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
>>
>> 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
>> 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
>> 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
>> 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
>> 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
>>
>> Richard
>> www.neominds.com.mx
>
> For now but it probably won't work before the next update with the new
> Genuine We Don't Trust Our PAYING Customers Disadvantage coming out.
>
> This is one of the stupidest PR move MS has ever made.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Alias

"NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote

> Yes but it does update your windows version, so you wont have security
> matters. The best solution is to buy the windows key so you dont have
> to do anything at all...

Being as you didn't include the message to which you are responding, it
can't be known who or what you're talking about. Many people with legit XPs
have been told by Genuine Windows Ripoff that their Windows are not legit so
what you say, well, isn't always true.

Alias

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Why MS needs to know the name you give to your computer (and a currently
blank field for your username) when you validate (sent to
stats.update.microsoft.com) is also another mystery....

Jon

peterk wrote:
> Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage
>
> The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft implemented
> to scan computers to
> determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing downloads,
> has apparently
> already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted into the
> address bar on the
> browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the copy of
> the OS on the system
> is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
> http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
> peterk

Peter, that is not a hack, it is just a javascript that does the same
thing as I explained in the top message how to disable this active-x
plugin but it is for people who dont know how to follow those steps.

But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
expensive and you have much more fun with it...

Richard
www.neominds.com.mx

NeoMinds wrote:
> peterk wrote:
>> Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage
>>
>> The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft
>> implemented to scan computers to
>> determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing
>> downloads, has apparently
>> already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted
>> into the address bar on the
>> browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the
>> copy of the OS on the system
>> is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
>> http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
>> peterk
>
> Peter, that is not a hack, it is just a javascript that does the same
> thing as I explained in the top message how to disable this active-x
> plugin but it is for people who dont know how to follow those steps.
>
> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
>

> Richard
> www.neominds.com.mx

Why the F*#K should anyone buy anything more from MS?

--
Peace!
Kurt

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Why bother with it at all?

Just set your windows update settings to notify rather than install and then
download the
updates from the Windows Catalogue - no need for validation

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

> peterk wrote:
>> Hackers Crack Genuine Advantage
>>
>> The new anti-piracy program, Genuine Advantage, that Microsoft
>> implemented
>> to scan computers to
>> determine if their copy of the OS is a legal one before allowing
>> downloads,
>> has apparently
>> already been hacked. There's a simple JavaScript that can be pasted into
>> the
>> address bar on the
>> browser before the system scan that will fool it into thinking the copy
>> of
>> the OS on the system
>> is a genuine one. You can read more about it here:
>> http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050802TI-Genuine_Advantage
>> peterk
>
> Peter, that is not a hack, it is just a javascript that does the same
> thing as I explained in the top message how to disable this active-x
> plugin but it is for people who dont know how to follow those steps.
>
> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
>

> Richard
> www.neominds.com.mx

Alias

"NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote

> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
>

> Richard

Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.

Alias

> "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
>> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
>>

>> Richard
>
> Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.

Why, are you using a $50 monitor or something?

Alias

"SP Goodman" <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote
>>>
>>> But anyway as i said before just buy the windows key, it is not that
>>> expensive and you have much more fun with it...
>>>

>>> Richard
>>
>> Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.
>
> Why, are you using a $50 monitor or something?

Retail XP Home Upgrade in Spain (where I live) goes for $USD 375.48 so, no,
I am not using a $50 monitor. In fact, I have a TFT monitor that cost less
than Retail XP Home Upgrade. Full retail is not available anywhere at any
price here.

That said, my OEM XP Pro is cheaper than my monitor (but the same price as a
CRT monitor, USD$150), which is the reason I wrote, "***most*** people's
PC".

Alias

> "SP Goodman" <notearthlight2k@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "NeoMinds" <neominds@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Only the most expensive thing on most people's PCs.
>>
>> Why, are you using a $50 monitor or something?
>
> Retail XP Home Upgrade in Spain (where I live) goes for $USD 375.48 so,
> no, I am not using a $50 monitor. In fact, I have a TFT monitor that cost
> less than Retail XP Home Upgrade. Full retail is not available anywhere at
> any price here.

Wow, and I thought the UK had criminal overpricing on imports as a part of
the economy!

> That said, my OEM XP Pro is cheaper than my monitor (but the same price as
> a CRT monitor, USD$150), which is the reason I wrote, "***most*** people's
> PC".
>
> Alias

I tend to agree with SP Goodman's thoughts.

I reject the notion that a program that has already been vetted by the
activation process needs to be re-verified. Every statement I see coming out
of them is such a shameless collection of lies you'd think it came from a
politician. Benefits, advantages, proetection, my rear end. Each sentence
that has come out of their weasel-faced lawyers and managers has been a
bigger, slimier lie than the last.

This is going to cause people to stop patching. When that happens and the
next major vulerability in their amatuer-hour kernel code pops up, it will
run rampant on these unpatched machines.

It will be then be free to spread endlessly into corporate and government
computers because it will have a now-limitless supply of unpatched machines
to draw upon. In the middle of an ongoing struggle against a dangerous
Islamist insurgency, Microsoft is undercutting the security efforts of
governments and companies everywhere. Isn't giving aid and comfort to your
country's enemies in time of war treason? Their self-centered greed is
putting this country at risk, and the executives responsible for this charade
should be shipped off to the brig for trial by military tribunal if it is
ever shown that they aided or abetted terrorism by their actions. I'll bet
there'd be no lack of volunteers for that firing squad.

Their actions show such an intense ignorance of what is going on in the
world that it is scarcely believable that they were designed by creatures
that walk upright. You think they may have ventured in to that whole Dr.
Moreau thing? Maybe they have crafted a lawyerweasel or a vpchimp to come up
with things like this.

My bad. This nearly incomprehensible UI led me to reply to the wrong poster.
THis should have been in reply to kurttrail.

I don't think they ever bothered to test this on a notebook. You can either
see the message or you can see the thread, but not both. Cool design, I
wonder why no one else uses it. ;-)

"New Linux user" wrote:

> I tend to agree with SP Goodman's thoughts.
>
> I reject the notion that a program that has already been vetted by the
> activation process needs to be re-verified. Every statement I see coming out
> of them is such a shameless collection of lies you'd think it came from a
> politician. Benefits, advantages, proetection, my rear end. Each sentence
> that has come out of their weasel-faced lawyers and managers has been a
> bigger, slimier lie than the last.
>
> This is going to cause people to stop patching. When that happens and the
> next major vulerability in their amatuer-hour kernel code pops up, it will
> run rampant on these unpatched machines.
>
> It will be then be free to spread endlessly into corporate and government
> computers because it will have a now-limitless supply of unpatched machines
> to draw upon. In the middle of an ongoing struggle against a dangerous
> Islamist insurgency, Microsoft is undercutting the security efforts of
> governments and companies everywhere. Isn't giving aid and comfort to your
> country's enemies in time of war treason? Their self-centered greed is
> putting this country at risk, and the executives responsible for this charade
> should be shipped off to the brig for trial by military tribunal if it is
> ever shown that they aided or abetted terrorism by their actions. I'll bet
> there'd be no lack of volunteers for that firing squad.
>
> Their actions show such an intense ignorance of what is going on in the
> world that it is scarcely believable that they were designed by creatures
> that walk upright. You think they may have ventured in to that whole Dr.
> Moreau thing? Maybe they have crafted a lawyerweasel or a vpchimp to come up
> with things like this.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:15:23 -0700, "New Linux user"
<NewLinuxuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My bad. This nearly incomprehensible UI led me to reply to the wrong poster.
> THis should have been in reply to kurttrail.

Doesn't it really make you feel like a prime fool when you verbally abuse
the wrong person? I mean, verbally abusing ANYONE should make you feel
like cold, hard s**t. Trying to blame your faux pas on an OS or program
and their creators is even worse than your trying to blame all the ills of
the world on corporations.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

NeoMinds wrote:
> A few days ago I had some troubles with updating my windows due to the
> famous windows genuine advantage. After checking for a couple of
> minutes i found out that the browser is using an active-x control to
> control this type of security. So in case you want to continue keeping
> your windows software up-to-date just follow the next steps:
>
> 1. Open your browser and go to Tools --> Internet Options
> 2. Select the Programs tab and click on Manage Add-Ons
> 3. Look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage" plug-in and disable it
> 4. Close all your browser windows and startup the windows update
> 5. Now you are able to update everything again without being checked...
>
> Richard
> www.neominds.com.mx

Hi

I prefer the more direct approach...

regsvr32 /u "%systemroot%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll"

Joseph

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:19:41 +0100, "Glen" <homer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Great now microsoft will fix this so none of usd can update our computers.
>You should keep thease workaounds quiet.

Those workaround some people mention are wrong. But
http://help.bigfix.com is not. The reason for this it has been
preinstalled on a lot of machine and I think they also have a contract
with Microsoft to link them to the direct download. Plus bixfig also
deal with big companies as well.

Microsoft needs to fix the wga problem on legally installed systems
oem or otherwise.

Greg Ro

Not really. If you had bothered to read the rant, you might have noticed
that I was ripping on M$FT, not the poster, so I don't feel too bad about it.
I was agreeing with someone, so what I was giving the poster was proper
credit, not criticism. How bad do you feel regarding your lack of reading
comprehension?

And this UI is still a total piece of kr*p. Every other forum on the planet
uses essentially the same format, but M$FT must have decided that the
standard layout was too familiar, efficient, and usable, so they redesigned
it into a monstrosity that is essentially unusable on a 1024*768 laptop
screen. Works on a 1280*1024 screen OK, but on the smaller screen key parts
of the form keep running off the right side of the display. Like the message
window. When the message is not visible it is not readily apparent that the
blue highlight bar got mouse-scrolled to a different message. There is not
enough room on the smaller display for a three-column format. That must be
why everyone else uses a two-column format with stacked frames in the
columns. Just like Outlook Express. This is aggravated by the posting form,
which even with the most current IE6 version has to be maximized when running
at 1024*768 to get the word wrap function to work, and that obscures
everything else on the screen.

UI's can be desiged well, or they can be designed badly. This one was
designed badly and your ad-hominem attack is not going to change that.

I don't blame all of the ills of this world on corporations - there was no
implied criticism of all corporations in my post, just one, M$FT. I think
the blame for all the ills of the world has to be shared equally between
corporations and stupid people.

"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:15:23 -0700, "New Linux user"
> <NewLinuxuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My bad. This nearly incomprehensible UI led me to reply to the wrong poster.
> > THis should have been in reply to kurttrail.
>
> Doesn't it really make you feel like a prime fool when you verbally abuse
> the wrong person? I mean, verbally abusing ANYONE should make you feel
> like cold, hard s**t. Trying to blame your faux pas on an OS or program
> and their creators is even worse than your trying to blame all the ills of
> the world on corporations.
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

How do you do this in Server 2003 where IE has no "Manage Add-Ons" menu
selection?...

--
slimline