1 PVA and 1 TN panel: Anyway to get them to match for a dual monitor set up?

AlwaysCharging

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I have a 24" Soya Topaz S monitor and now the 25.5" Asus VW266h. I recently bought it after reading a lot of great reviews on it (some of which were on here). I got the Asus yesterday and started adjusting it. A lot of the reviewers stated that it does have a blue tint to the screen out of the box, but that it goes away after some tweaking. Well 6 hours later after not only tweaking all of the its various settings as well as trying to tweak it more via my video card, I still can not to get the colors on the Asus to even somewhat match the Soyo, not to mention the Asus's ever-present slight blue tinge. I bought the Asus to have as a dual monitor setup with my Soyo, and is it currently stands it's just not possible as the the change in colors are too drastic.

I posted on some other forums about this problem and someone mentioned a LCD calibrator (specifically the huey pro). It's about $100, and I honestly didn't want to spend any more than I already have. I did some further research and found that the Asus has a TN panel and the Soyo has a PVA panel. (The color on the Soyo is far superior and has a 178 degree vertical and horizontal viewing angle.) Is that what's causing this difference? Or should a PVA and TN panel be able to coexist somewhat closely?

I understand that most people would just get use to the Asus, but it's pretty hard to do when the Soyo is sitting right next to it, proudly staring me back in the face. So is there anyway to get these monitors to better resemble each other? Or more specifically is there any way to get the colors on the Asus to look better? Have I just not found the right settings?

Actually, and maybe more importantly, I almost bought the Samsung 2443BW or T240 instead of this Asus. Should I take the Asus back and get one of those? Or, would I have had the same problems with those as well?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

r_manic

Administrator
If you're really serious about getting the display pictures to match, you can just get a Spyder Express and use it on both monitors to get an accurate color profile. Most probably after the Spyder does its job, you'll have two displays with similar, if not alike, picture settings.

Yeah, you are really going to need a colorimeter to get your displays to match.
The problem is not so much the type of display (although being a TN panel does not help) rather the calibration of it.
Most displays have their own special way of 'enhancing' the image by bumping the colors around or worse.
Naturally, as inexpensive TN displays are aimed more at non pro usage, these 'enhancments' are more pronounced here.
Long story short, with out properly calibrating your displays, you will not be able to match the output.

Look into something like the Spyder 3 Pro.
It is able to properly and quickly configure multiple display systems and has options to attempt to match two displays to each other.
Keep in mind that if you match the displays to each other one (or both) could be off from its ideal color accuracy setting.
You really would be surprised what a proper calibration can do to even a cheap display...

Calibration will improve colors in both monitors, but the colors will still be slightly off since a PVA panel can truly produce 16.7m colors while a TN panel can only truly create 256k colors.

Through a process called dithering, the 256k true colors are "blended" to create around 16.2m 16.7m colors.

TRENDING THREADS