Update BIOS?

My computer runs VERY slowly---I know I need more memory--I have XP
w/128MB RAM, but I'm wondering if updating the BIOS would help? I have a
3.5 year old Inspiron 4100 and I don't think I've touched the BIOS since
purchased.
TIA

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> My computer runs VERY slowly---I know I need more memory--I have XP
> w/128MB RAM, but I'm wondering if updating the BIOS would help?

<snip>

No, it won't. Running the system at 512mb (2 x 256mb) would help
substantially.

Stew

yodasue@webtv.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> My computer runs VERY slowly---I know I need more memory--I have XP
> w/128MB RAM, but I'm wondering if updating the BIOS would help? I have a
> 3.5 year old Inspiron 4100 and I don't think I've touched the BIOS since
> purchased.
> TIA

NO, it won't help. XP needs desperatly a minimum of 256MB and better 512MB.

Normally a BIOS update is not recommended since DELL refuses togive any
warranty for a BIOS flash which has risks. If done wrong you may damage your
system so it won't ever work. BIOS updates normally provide you with more
functions or better functions, more support for current hardware. Since a
laptop has all hardware ready built in there is no reason to do so unless
you really have hardware troubles.
I had an older BIOS and an upgrade have me the hot-swap possibility meaning
I can take my laptop out of the dock without having to power down.

So, if you are willing to do so: first read the release notes carefully,
maybe they say only 'support for new CPUs' or something like that, than it
is not necessary. If you warranty is for four years then let e technician do
the upgrade so you can claim something if anything goes wrong.

Dell, like many other name brand vendors, has sold computers with Windows XP and
an extremely pitiful 128MB of memory. These companies are all doing stupid
things to compete with each other on price.

Forget the BIOS update and invest in some memory for the computer, either a
single stick of 128MB (256MB total) or preferably a pair of 256MB (512MB).
128MB sticks of notebook SODIMM are now sold at almost giveaway prices, but
don't be fooled by price. Do it right, and go for 2x256MB. Afterward, you,
too, will have a spare stick of 128MB, having removed it to install the second
256MB.

Or... check the specs on the Dell web site to see if the computer will take
512MB SODIMMs. If so, a single 512MB is yet another option, for a total of
640MB... Ben Myers